Advice between Magnolia Harbor and Gloucester

alcoons

Planning a paddle from Tucks Pt/Manchester to either Norman's Woe or the Dogbar (See Trips). Have done both parts once in the past, but have some questions:

1) As I remember, landing at Magnolia Harbor is allowed and relative mild?

2) Are there any reasonable landings north of Magnolia Harbor before crossing to the Dogbar.

3) As I remember, the waves/swells are often significantly larger between Magnolia and Gloucester Harbor than south of Magnolia?

4) Any comments on current? We launch 2 hours before low tide. Level 3 group going at a steady but moderate pace.

Thanks,

Al

Planning a paddle from Tucks Pt/Manchester to either Norman's Woe or the Dogbar (See Trips). Have done both parts once in the past, but have some questions:

1) As I remember, landing at Magnolia Harbor is allowed and relative mild?

Land close to the north side of the harbor where there is a public put in for Magnolia boaters. The south end is a beach for swimmers with restrictions.

2) Are there any reasonable landings north of Magnolia Harbor before crossing to the Dogbar.

None

3) As I remember, the waves/swells are often significantly larger between Magnolia and Gloucester Harbor than south of Magnolia?

Correct, but still minor. No worse than the swell and waves between Misery and Baker's or around House.

4) Any comments on current? We launch 2 hours before low tide. Level 3 group going at a steady but moderate pace.

Tides are not a problem. If you were paddling up to Pavillion in Gloucester you might encounter flood tide on the way back out of the Harbor but even here it isn't worse than 1 to 1.5K.

Thanks,

Al

Al,

When I lived in Magnolia many years ago, the northern or eastern most end of the beach (near Fuller Street) was public. There is a small park at Norman's Woe that may belong to the Trustees, so it's relatively public, but you'd have to land on the rocks with the waves and again - this is from many years ago.

Anne