Recommendations for buying new sea kayak

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all,

I am new to this board and soon to be new to sea kayaking. My experience thus far has been limited to a 10' rec. boat.

I am considering the QCC 600X or the 400X (Kevlar). I want a boat that I can "grow into", not something that I will tire of in a year.

Both of the above boats are more than I wanted to spend, but weight is an important consideration as I will likely need to load and unload it by myself much of the time and I am female, and 5'3" (weight about 135-140#)and will be loading onto a tall Xterra. I am in my 40's and in pretty decent shape.

I'd appreciate advice on the above and/or any other suggestions for other makes/models as long as you put why you're recommending them to me.

Thanks!

Pat

Hi!

You will find about twice as many opinions on boats as there are paddlers (since we probably average two boats apiece). Your tastes will certainly evolve as your paddling skills improve, and as your exposure to the variety of boats increases. Don't try to figure it all out now.

I have two alternate recommendations:

1) buy some trips with a local outfitter who has a good fleet of rental boats (CRCK is my local favorite)...you will have a good time, learn many good skills, and REALLY test a variety of boats on all day trips in real conditions.

2) get something cheap, used, and barely acceptable for the season, paddle with the club as much as you can (trips, skills sessions at lakes), and be unashamedly aggressive about asking to swap boats with everybody else ... this way you will get to paddle a large variety in a short time (you will also get an earful of opinions from everybody you borrow a boat from).

Don't forget to have fun!

Guest guest

I have to second Jeff's recommendations. My wife and I ordered kayaks last year and we tried a wide variety of models before we made our decision. The kayaks that we chose weren't even under consideration when we started our evaluations, but we are extremely pleased with our choice. Make a list of the models that interest you and try them out, but don't be afraid to try models that aren't on your list, you might be surprised.

Hi Pat and welcome to NSPN and our msg board!

In order for people to make suggestions, you need to tell us where you intend to paddle. If you know, tell us. If you don't, Jeff had a good suggestion to contact Charles River Canoe and Kayak and take lessons and try their boats.

Best advice is definitely to try before you buy and to buy used for at least the first boat as it gets you on the water and meeting people to try their boats!

Recommended reading: Shelley Johnson's Women's Guide to Sea Kayaking. I am sure that Kittery Trading Post carries this. Her sage advice is not to agonize over the first boat decision, just get on the water - you will learn what you want then.

Suzannen

Guest guest

Seabass doesn't know anything about boats for small people, but try the Mystic anyway.

Also look at:

P&H Vela (or it's plastic version, the Easky)

Current Designs Slipstream (New England Small Craft has a used Kelvar one in, and they'll let you demo boats).

I feel your pain with the Xterra (I have one). I now have a Thule 'Roller-Coaster' that makes getting a boat up easy.

Hey Mr Binks, you did not spell my name, that a cap "B" in Bass.

I do know this boat very well, my son paddles it and I also fit in it and enjoy the handling this nice little boat has.

It is a great boat for small people, hey ...you might give it a try yourself little fella...

Guest guest

Thanks to all who responded! I have been "researching" various boats and their differences online and, yes, it can be overwhelming! Hard chine, medium chine, skeg or rudder, beam width, waterline length, initial vs. secondary stability...and on...

I am registering for a day tour/lesson thru CRCK this month, and have also just ordered Shelley Johnson's book online. I will probably visit a couple of the dealers who demo their boats as well. (KTP's demo day is May 22nd, BTW)

Oh, and I will probably do much of my paddling in and around the NH seacoast area, Great Bay, Pawtuckaway Lake, and the coast near Rye/Portsmouth...until I get to know some of you folks and can hook up on some trips you may have planned, that is!

I have Yakima Hully rollers and Maco saddle set-up for my Xterra...I think I may need to get a step or something add'l, though.

Thanks again!

Pat

Hi Pat,

Its good to try lot of boats but you can get very confused with so many available. A (used)plastic boat is a good first boat, its less expensive and can take lots of abuse. Like you, I didn't have clue of how I was going to get it onto the car (I'm 5'2" and have a Jeep). So I dragged the boat across the yard to the back of the car. I put a rug over the back top of the car, lifted the bow of the boat up and leaned it upright against the roof. Then I lifted the stearn and slid it into the saddles. I dropped it a few times but I'm better at it now.

Good luck in your search!

Patty

Guest guest

Hi Pat,

At 5'2" I use the same boat loading technique Patty mentioned, but I also suggest buying a little Rubbermaid step stool. It makes reaching the stern to remove the boat and reaching the tie down straps much easier. Once you've done it a few times it gets easy, even with a heavier plastic boat.

Nathalie

Guest guest

>Hey Mr Binks, you did not spell my name, that a cap "B" in

>Bass.

Sorry sea'B'ass... and that's 'Dr. Binks' to you.

> ...you might give it a try yourself little fella...

I'm not small, I'm just often far away.

SeaBass and Dr. Binks, you should both be ashamed of yourselves!

This thread was started by a tender, serious, enthusiastic, bewildered (and probably be-fuddled) new paddler asking for advice about searching for a new boat and all you two can do is talk about dwindling into the distance and spelling (well, yes: I go on about that myself, sometimes). Desist, I say!!

So, no one mentioned rollers for the rear edge of the car/van/SUV? I do not refer to Yakima Hulley rollers; but the Thule system that sits lower down behind the rear bar for helping get the boat "up and over".

Might be worth looking into?

Guest guest

Sorry Sir Godfrey

The system you are looking for is the Thule Roller-Coaster, to which I referred in my first post.

Regards,

Binks

Guest guest

Christopher:

Haha! "tender, serious, enthusiastic, bewildered (and probably be-fuddled) new paddler"? Enthusiastic: you bet!, bewildered: pretty much..., serious: Eh, not so much, tender: not on your life!

But thanks for attempting to re-navigate the post!

I looked on the Thule site, but the picture they show makes it difficult to see how the Rollercoaster thing actually works. I'll take a look at one in a store.

In the meantime, I have been assured by some "very reliable sources" that I can load by myself utilizing the "bathroom rug" technique!

Guest guest

Hi Pat:

I'm about your size & have an Impex Mystic, which I love. It's a great boat...I use around the Portsmouth area A lot. Mine is Kevlar & weighs about 38#. I have no problem loading/unloading & doing the occas. short 'lugging.'....I notice you are in Fremont. If you would like to try out my boat/go for a paddle, drop me an email @ jaeed1@netzero.com.

Happy Paddling!

Joanne

Guest guest

I also agree with Jeff.

If this is your first sea kayak, it won't be your last... you'll be learning rescues, techniques, and be in shallow water, and trying all sorts of stuff that will beat the boat up a little bit. With plastic, you have a little more durability, but you sacrifice speed and weight. With Kevlar you have light weight and speed, but expensive repairs.

I'd go (and I did go) with a shorter (14'5"), slower plastic boat while you get comfortable learning the basic, important stuff (though I may upgrade at the end of this year.. my 3rd year). Like Jeff suggested, you may even consider getting a used one for a good price. You won't take as big of a hit to your pocket book when you get soooo awesome at kayaking that you decide to sell it and upgrade to a fiber or kevlar boat.

Besides, you will always have someone who can help you load and unload your boat... at least at the put in and take out.

Another option is to lease everything from an outfitter for the summer. North Shore Kayak in Rockport leases boats for $375 for the summer (ending Sept 1), that includes a pfd, paddle, pump, and nylon skirt. They do require a $600 deposit that you get back when you return the boat. If you decicde to buy the boat, they knock off the $375 lease price and an additional 10% off boat and gear. So, technically at the end of the summer you can get a new, complete setup that only you used for the summer for about $1000... or more if you choose a kevlar or fiber boat. Also, they sell the returned lease boats for a pretty good discount, so if you don't like the boat you had, and know you like another boat that they might have, you can get a discount at the end of the season.

http://www.northshorekayak.com/NSKOC%20fra...e%20package.htm

Hope it helps.

Brian

Guest guest

Charles River Canoe and Kayak has Demo Nights were the Boat Mftrs send representatives to help you with selecting a kayak. They have one this Friday night 21st from 6-8pm. They(CRCK) also will let you demo kayaks at there Newton location as many as you would like to try. When I demo'd they did not limit me to time. You can also demo different paddles. I then would rent the kayaks for a ccouple of hours on another day to see if they were right for me. You can also take a tour with them and try the kayak out for the day.

They have used kayaks for sale. If you do not see what you want on there web Page call and ask. Suggest talking to Bryce about used gear.

I suggest you get to Kittery Maine's demo this weekend 22nd early and stay late.

Also call any other Kayak outfitters in your area and see what they offer and ask how flexible they are. Some have only small man made ponds to try kayaks out in. Ask if they have any Mftr sponsored Demo days on near by lakes.

ERBA(Essex, MA) can also be a good place to try boats out. They charge you to demo I believe;however, you can take a couple hour tour with them and try there boats out for just a few dollars more. They will take the time to fit you in a boat they have.The other places you will have to find the boat right for you.ERBA also has used boats for sale.

Goose Hummocks on the Cape in Orleans I believe has a demo day Sat 5-29-04.

Good luck. Its an experience but is worth it.

Walter

Impex Serenity

Orange over White

Guest guest

Also relatively new to sea kayaking, I would agree that choice of kayak is a very personal decision, and the best way to decide what one wants is by trying. We went to demos (the LL Bean kayak weekend was great), we rented boats, but we relatively quickly landed on Current Designs for their build quality and potential for longer-distance tripping (okay, my being Canadian might have something to do with it as well...). We started with a couple of plastic Squalls for the two of us, and a two-week trip along the Maine Island Trail last summer demonstrated just how seaworthy and comfortable these boats are for extended touring. We encountered some fairly serious open-sea chop a couple of times, and the Squall tracked nicely and cut through the waves without problems even under these conditions. This winter I 'upgraded' to the kevlar Andromeda by Current Designs, which has taken some getting used to because it is *very* different than the Squall in its 'Hutchinson' design characteristics. With the Andromeda weighing in a little over 40 lbs, I now know how much of a role weight plays in handling!

I'm still getting to know the shops around Cape Ann, but I can unconditionally recommend Bob Smith's in Boston for their kayaks and gear. They're very friendly and patient, they've got a great selection, and they've played a big role in my gaining a better understanding of what to look for in a boat. I've also found Charles River in Newton to be very helpful and courteous, though things can get hectic there at times because of the rental business side of things.

Good luck with your research! -- Roger

Guest guest

Thanks again to all of you who responded!

I am going to go to KTP's demo day this Sat.

I have also rec'd a very generous offer by a fellow NSPN member to take me out locally for a day and try a couple of her kayaks as well as get some hands on experience along side a couple of knowlegable paddlers! If our weather ever cooperates, we'll be doing that this week!

Oh, and you guys are great! I am glad I found ya!

Guest guest

You may alo be interested in checking out Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth. They are only open on the weekends, I think, and be sure to call and get directions, as they are tricky to find.

http://www.billingtonseakayak.com/

They are on a good size lake where you can demo all of their boats for free.

-Bri

"We are all 80% salt water, aren't we?" - Anonymous