Sat. paddle 8/2

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

10am butts in boat time. Plan to head out and take a left towards Gloucester. No plan beyond that so everything is flexible. For those who want to try out skills, rescues, tows, etc., these trips are designed for it.

Note that the put in is in Manchester, not Beverly (Tuck Point).

Note change of time

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 31 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
11am butts in boat time. Plan to head out and take a left towards Gloucester. No plan beyond that so everything is flexible. For those who want to try out skills, rescues, tows, etc., these trips are designed for it.

Might be good to have an earlier start if possible (are you teaching?). Scattered T-storms starting at 2 or 3 is what I hear. Either way, I'll be there.

Al

It's certainly prudent to read forecasts, radar, etc. and otherwise watch the weather. Be aware that in the heat of the summer afternoon thunderstorms should more less to be expected/watched along the coast regardless of the forecast. The heating of the land, enhanced by large swaths of black pavement, causes the air mass to rise which draws moisture off the water. I doubt the air conditioners are helping.

Sounds promising, but beach traffic and parking at that hour will have me ripping my hair out and wanting to kill someone. Any chance of starting earlier, say 9:00?

Kevin, seriously contemplating moving closer to the ocean.

Sounds promising, but beach traffic and parking at that hour will have me ripping my hair out and wanting to kill someone. Any chance of starting earlier, say 9:00?

Kevin, seriously contemplating moving closer to the ocean.

Can't start any sooner than 10am.

As I mentioned before, I am up for the earliest start possible??? Shall we be ready to go at 9:40 and since Kevin is fast push off as soon as he is ready?

Al

Everyone should be ready to go at 9:45 for a 10am butts in boat time. G and I will leave the beach at 10am.

Concerning Parking:

Those of you who know Tucks Point please let us know if this makes sense. Last week was the first time I launched there.

Launch parking went well. There were almost no cars in the parking lot so we parked in the front row, carried our boats to the grass or down to the beach, and the moved our cars to the very back of the parking lot on the grass by the trees.

Recovery may have been more of a problem. Since the front parking lot was pretty full, we parked along the narrow road by the grass and tried to quickly put our boats up. However, we ended up blocking one lane for while. While almost all the drivers that were slightly inconvenienced were very nice, at least one driver made a bit of a remark. My guess is that we should try to bring our cars as far front as we can IN THE PARKING LOT and carry our boats there and quickly move away. AM I OVERREACTING???

Thanks,

Al

Parking: park in the front lot early(probably few resident guests at that time) and carry boat & gear to the grass. Move the car to the back lot near the trees. At the end of the day when there is potentially many more residents showing up for events, don't block traffic. Carry boats back to the cars. Or if you're like me roll them back on center kayak carts. Going back to the cars in the back lot is not any more difficult than the distance at Riverside and it's a lot more pleasant. Parking in the front lot without a sticker becomes a lot more conspicuous. Tuck's Point is private and in years past security was posted to check cars coming in. We don't want to encourage residents calling for the return of security.

Since the front parking lot was pretty full, we parked along the narrow road by the grass and tried to quickly put our boats up. However, we ended up blocking one lane for while. While almost all the drivers that were slightly inconvenienced were very nice, at least one driver made a bit of a remark. My guess is that we should try to bring our cars as far front as we can IN THE PARKING LOT and carry our boats there and quickly move away. AM I OVERREACTING???

Gee, I thought I responded, but my message is gone. OK, again...

No, you are not overreacting at all. It's a good idea and very important to keep local good will on our side. Otherwise, if we lose access to Tuck's, we lose all of Manchester, the easiest launch for the Miseries and Baker.

In general, all kayakers should be very very careful in parking, launching and moving around not to obstruct, annoy, inconvenience or otherwise cause problems for local folks anywhere. We depend on their good will for continued access. Besides, it's just good citizenship.

--David.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to thank all of you for helping me today. What a great group you are! I was really taken care of in the most selfless and concerned way by a wonderful group. I hope you got some great paddling in this afternoon. I look forward to joining this wonderful group again soon. Thanks again, Lori .

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to thank all of you for helping me today. What a great group you are! I was really taken care of in the most selfless and concerned way by a wonderful group. I hope you got some great paddling in this afternoon. I look forward to joining this wonderful group again soon. Thanks again, Lori .

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you will continue to paddle with us. Almost all of us have called on other NSPN paddlers at one time or another for help during a paddle.