SOFs on Casco Bay

EEL

After enviously looking at all the posts about paddling on weekdays while working and remembering "this is not a dress rehearsal", I arranged with a friend in Maine who builds replica Greenland boats to wander about upper Casco Bay in our SOFs. After visiting with fishermen at Bethel Point near Cundy's Harbor ("Where are you going in those flimsy little things?"), we wandered through Yarmouth I. and found the bay looked inviting. So off we went to Ragged, then Flag, then Malaga and back. Nice day with the usual "sea breezes" in the afternoon, a bit of chop with max ebb against wind at the mouth of New Meadows river to focus the mind, and some decent swells to ride during the crossings. Somehow managed to paddle 18.5NM between visits to islands and spending time watching young Ospreys being trained. While there are some challenges and a few risks to be considered when using a SOF for coastal day paddles, there is much to be said for the elemental nature of it and being able at the end of the day to pick up your boat, with all day kit still stowed, and put in on the car easily since it still weighs around 40#.

Ed Lawson

After enviously looking at all the posts about paddling on weekdays while working and remembering "this is not a dress rehearsal", I arranged with a friend in Maine who builds replica Greenland boats to wander about upper Casco Bay in our SOFs. After visiting with fishermen at Bethel Point near Cundy's Harbor ("Where are you going in those flimsy little things?"), we wandered through Yarmouth I. and found the bay looked inviting. So off we went to Ragged, then Flag, then Malaga and back. Nice day with the usual "sea breezes" in the afternoon, a bit of chop with max ebb against wind at the mouth of New Meadows river to focus the mind, and some decent swells to ride during the crossings. Somehow managed to paddle 18.5NM between visits to islands and spending time watching young Ospreys being trained. While there are some challenges and a few risks to be considered when using a SOF for coastal day paddles, there is much to be said for the elemental nature of it and being able at the end of the day to pick up your boat, with all day kit still stowed, and put in on the car easily since it still weighs around 40#.

Ed Lawson

Sorry, but an SOF is...?

Sorry, but an SOF is...?

Sal answered the basic question. In this particular case they are replicas of Greenland hunting boats, but very different in design. Both made with a lashed and pegged wooden frame and covered with nylon cloth made waterproof with a polyurethane coating. I uploaded three pictures to my gallery which show what they look like. As well as what a nice day it was.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?autoco...um&album=35

Ed Lawson

• 2 weeks later...
Sal answered the basic question. In this particular case they are replicas of Greenland hunting boats, but very different in design. Both made with a lashed and pegged wooden frame and covered with nylon cloth made waterproof with a polyurethane coating. I uploaded three pictures to my gallery which show what they look like. As well as what a nice day it was.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?autoco...um&album=35

Ed Lawson

skin on frame...got it. thanks