Helmets

bazzert

I'd like to get braver in amongst the rocks, but need to get a helmet. Any recommendations ?

thanks,

Barry.

Barry,

Opinions will vary, but a lot of people buy Pro-tec or Shred Ready helmets. Kittery trading post usually has both and I know NESC has Shred Ready but I'm not sure about Pro-tec. I've only seen Pro-tec at REI.

I find my Petzold climbing helmet works well -- lightweight and comfortable, and it's designed to protect against encounters with rocks. I believe REI and EMS carry them.

Blaine B.

I find my Petzold climbing helmet works well -- lightweight and comfortable, and it's designed to protect against encounters with rocks. I believe REI and EMS carry them.

Blaine B.

I wouldn't recommend buying a helmet designed for rock climbing to be used in an ocean environment. You already own one so are making the best of it. I don't know if there are design issues that would impact it's use for surf/white water use. I do know that Shred Ready comply with these standards:

"Certified CE 1385 international standard for headgear for whitewater sports."

Not all foams are closed cell but a helmet that was made for the water would have closed cell foam and would generally use stainless steel to prevent corrosion.

And as an important side note - helmets need replacing every three years according to the manufacturers. Shred Ready has a helmet replacement program:

"Helmet Replacement Program:

If your helmet's function is compromised due to normal use or an impact you can replace your helmet at the manufacturing cost plus shipping. Proof of purchase requried. "

I am in the market for a new helmet and one thing that I really like about my old helmet is that it covers my ears. The value of this is of course protection from a side impact and it helps to keep sand out of your ears.

Suz

I'd like to get braver in amongst the rocks, but need to get a helmet. Any recommendations ?

thanks,

Barry.

I own both a Pro-Tec and a Shred Ready. I've had the Shred Ready for two years and it's my preferred headgear in surf and rocks.

Try a few on as heads, like helmet fit, differ. Pro-Tec makes great product -- you can get a good one for under $50 -- and it's more affordable than Shred. My only problem with the Pro-Tec is the way it rubs over my ears, but that's me.

Another advantage to a Pro-Tec is that is is flexible enough to be stored in your day hatch, thus making it easily accessible. While some of the Shred Ready also fit in there, mine doesn't due to the material. I own a Vixen, which is woman-specific and I know SR makes one of a similar design for men.

Helmets are also pretty specific to the sport you're using them for. A helmet for rock climbing is constructed a bit differently due to the environment it's used in. I'm with Suz -- get a helmet for water sports.

Pro-Tec is available at REI, Shred Ready at KTP. NESC may have a few of each, but you might want to call before you head over.

Deb M :roll::surfing:

REI outlet has a shred ready on closeout, and shredready has a closeout/2nds page I think.

The helmet I use is made by Cascade, their primary business is hockey helmets. If you look them up on the web you will find a link to their kayak helmets. It is very comfortable & secure & provides full ear protection. I got mine with a removable face mask (long story). It wasn't cheap, but I know too many people that have had head trama & its not a good thing. Their was an artical in Sea Kayaker ( I think) which delt with a white water paddler that died of a blow to the forehead even though he had a helmet on. The conclusion was that his helmet had a built in visor & the force of the water lifted the helmet high enough off of his forehead that he could take the hit. Built in visor might not be a good idea.

If I were to buy a helmet today I would get one manufactured by a company in Australia...unfortunatly I don't remember their name. It is the same company that makes the helmet that John Carmity wears (John, this is where you jump in of you reading)

When it comes to helmet I wouldn't by based on price.

If I were to buy a helmet today I would get one manufactured by a company in Australia...unfortunatly I don't remember their name. It is the same company that makes the helmet that John Carmity wears (John, this is where you jump in of you reading)

You are thinking of Gath Helmets.

http://www.gathsports.com/

Really nice product.

The helmet I use is made by Cascade, their primary business is hockey helmets. If you look them up on the web you will find a link to their kayak helmets. It is very comfortable & secure & provides full ear protection. I got mine with a removable face mask (long story). It wasn't cheap, but I know too many people that have had head trama & its not a good thing. Their was an artical in Sea Kayaker ( I think) which delt with a white water paddler that died of a blow to the forehead even though he had a helmet on. The conclusion was that his helmet had a built in visor & the force of the water lifted the helmet high enough off of his forehead that he could take the hit. Built in visor might not be a good idea.

John has a number of helmets, the one your thinking of is a Gath helmet such as this:

http://savannahcanoeandkayak.com/Merchant2...;Category_Code=

http://www.wetsand.com/product.asp?locatio...&SubTabID=0

http://www.gathsports.com/

-Jason

It wasn't cheap, but I know too many people that have had head trama & its not a good thing. Their was an artical in Sea Kayaker ( I think) which delt with a white water paddler that died of a blow to the forehead even though he had a helmet on. The conclusion was that his helmet had a built in visor & the force of the water lifted the helmet high enough off of his forehead that he could take the hit. Built in visor might not be a good idea.

I have heard the same warning for wearing any visor under a watersport helmet-not just a built-in visor.

Gay

I have heard the same warning for wearing any visor under a watersport helmet-not just a built-in visor.

Gay

This relates to a bunch of older helmets that were designed to be roller blade helmets that had a single attachment point high on the helmet that allow them to roll back. This is a fit item to check for with or without a visor. Most of the newer water sport designed helmets have a band near the base of your head to prevent them from rolling back and keep them properly on your head. When fitting a new helmet check to see if you can roll it back off your head with it properly strapped on, if it doesn't stay in place pass on it.

-Jason