Tow belt recommendations

djlewis

My venerable Northwater Quick Tow (http://www.northwater.com/html/tow_systems.html) has disappeared. So I'm in the market for a new rig -- definitely a waist-mount model.

What's the latest thinking in tow belts?

I must say the 25' Quick Tow sufficed for essentially all my towing needs for many years. I do carry as backup an older Northwater 55' Rescue Tow Line that I got used, but it doesn't have the latest trimmings, like the Sea Tec.

Thanks. --David.

I have the North Water Sea Tec at the recomendation of other NSPNers see link below

http://www.northwater.com/html/seatec_line.html

Here is a review of tow belts from Canoe & Kayak

http://canoekayak.com/gear/accessories/towsystemsreview/

Also view the NSPN "Tow Lines, with or without bungee?" from the General Message Board below

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=25232

Neil

i've been using an NRS Kayak Tow Line for the past 2 seasons and am happy with it.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfi...amp;deptid=1766

easy quick release, bungee, 50 foot length, float on the clip end. i've got the 50 foot rope daisy-chained

down to about 25-30 feet (which suffices most of the time), but it can be easily changed back to 50 foot.

steve

i've been using an NRS Kayak Tow Line for the past 2 seasons and am happy with it.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfi...amp;deptid=1766

easy quick release, bungee, 50 foot length, float on the clip end. i've got the 50 foot rope daisy-chained

down to about 25-30 feet (which suffices most of the time), but it can be easily changed back to 50 foot.

steve

Thanks, all... sounds like there are several good options. I also found this discussion on paddling.net...

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread...&tid=634231

with a reference to the Expedition Essentials tow rig, designed by Dale Williams, long-boat-surf-guy extraordinaire...

http://virginiaseakayakcenter.com/catalog....d=Safety%20Gear

So, I'm still confu... ummm... undecided.

--David.

I also have the North Water Sea Tec. I took off the original carabiner and replaced it with a larger one, and also reconfigured the location of the float. Even though I've done four "real" tows (i.e. real emergencies), I've only used this one in practice - but it seems to work well.

Also, I have it daisy chained to about 25 ft.

For the larger audience reading this thread there are advantages and disadvantages to body-mounted versus deck-mounted tow rigs (I prefer the latter). Similarly, there are short and short/medium sized tow options that can serve the purpose of a sling to assist an injured, inflexible, etc. paddler reenter a kayak.

For the larger audience reading this thread there are advantages and disadvantages to body-mounted versus deck-mounted tow rigs (I prefer the latter). Similarly, there are short and short/medium sized tow options that can serve the purpose of a sling to assist an injured, inflexible, etc. paddler reenter a kayak.

OK, I have two tow rigs. My first was an NDK, your basic rope in a bag w/ a velcro closure, a big mouth & a web belt like most. This spring I bought a Palm Ocean Tow ( www.palmequipmentusa.com/acatalog/accessories.html#aPLM_2dS470 ). This unit is has a smaller bag but the line is the same length as my NDK. This is an updated model, the old one only had 21' of 1/2 inch wedding. The best part of this rig is the belt, it is padded. Also the binner attaches to the outside of the belt so it is always available & you don't have to open the binner to get it off the belt, just pull & its in you hand & ready to go. Their is no float (a good thing for my$) but the line & rig floats. The only draw back is that it has a small mouth so will take a minute or so to reload, when I'm done with a tow I just stick all of the line in my PFD. My second choice would be the North Water rig.

Although not mentioned by anyone, what's wrong with a coaming tow line? I bought one last month and used it once (towed a tandem for over a mile). Worked fine for me and I appreciated having the line pull on my boat instead of my waist.

I guess there are two possible disadvantages with the coaming system:

1. Time to deploy is probably a little longer than a waist mounted system.

2. The line is low on the deck so there's more chance of interference (although when I towed, the system didn't even interfere with a deployed rudder).

Although not mentioned by anyone, what's wrong with a coaming tow line? I bought one last month and used it once (towed a tandem for over a mile). Worked fine for me and I appreciated having the line pull on my boat instead of my waist.

I guess there are two possible disadvantages with the coaming system:

1. Time to deploy is probably a little longer than a waist mounted system.

2. The line is low on the deck so there's more chance of interference (although when I towed, the system didn't even interfere with a deployed rudder).

And if it pops off the coaming and ends up around your waist, arms or neck, it will be a lot of fun! Coaming tows are a bad idea and completely unnecessary given that there are better, proven options.

The only draw back is that it has a small mouth so will take a minute or so to reload, when I'm done with a tow I just stick all of the line in my PFD. My second choice would be the North Water rig.

That's a big enough drawback to be a deal-breaker for me. Being able to re-stow the line one-handed is critical in rough conditions. Stuffing the rope in one's PFD should be a last, temporary resort, not a part of a towing strategy. I've seen and experienced the problems created when the rope inevitably starts falling out of the top, bottom and arm holes of one's PFD. IMO, small tow bags that require two hands to stuff - or any rig that requires two hands to stow - are a hazard.

That's a big enough drawback to be a deal-breaker for me. Being able to re-stow the line one-handed is critical in rough conditions. Stuffing the rope in one's PFD should be a last, temporary resort, not a part of a towing strategy. I've seen and experienced the problems created when the rope inevitably starts falling out of the top, bottom and arm holes of one's PFD. IMO, small tow bags that require two hands to stuff - or any rig that requires two hands to stow - are a hazard.

"rough" is a very subjective term that will vary from person to person.

and this is EXACTLY part of my towing strategy....stuff the line in the pfd and then get it sorted back into the bag when things aren't quite so exciting. is it possible for it start to come out from under the the pfd? yes...even if your pfd is as snug as it should be (often they aren't) one thing i've found that helps mitigate this is to clip the 'biner onto the pfd there somewhere and stuff the line under...in my experience it's often the 'biner that finds a place to be an inconvenience and with the biner still handy you can just grab and deploy again if needed.

i like tow rigs that have a taco wrap bag....big mouths that just open and you can quickly stuff line into them...which again i am doing when things have calmed down a bit...i just don't have the patience for those bags that open on the ends...too small for my liking.

there are times when you can not take the time the put the line in the bag. get the line sorted out as best you can and get to somewhere where you can properly get it sorted it...there are some situations where you can take the time and are comfortable and can sort it all out immediately and other situations (that will be probably be apparent due to their inherent "pucker factor" nature) and you should be familiar with the idea of just stuffing that line and getting gone.

the bag is the best place for the line...it's far less likely to get fouled around you there but there are times when you make do as best you can.

for coaming tows...like the straps some folks espouse for getting folks back into boats...there are other, arguably better tools.

deck tows are super comfy for long tows BUT the only one i ever used failed at a point time/place when/where it was less than convenient...those fast release shackle snaps folks are fond off are indeed fast release and in my limited experience, too dodgy for me to trust fully. anyways, damn thing was son comfy i had no idea i had lost the boat off the tow! turned around to reel in the boat and of course the line and the boat were gone!

It's interesting to read this thread today as I was practicing tows with my new North Water Sea Tec tow belt system on Saturday. The bag stuffing was a bit of and effort until I loosened the belt enough to make the bag easier to access. When I pulled the bag in front of me it was hard very hard to stuff it with the waist belt snug. I then turned it back loosened the quick release and brought the pouch back around in front of me. I was then able to fairly easily stuff the bag. The line was pulled in and sitting in a pile on my spray skirt while I was doing this. Once stuffed the re taco wrapping of the NW bag was very difficult as the line was just stuffed in. I'm going to practice this deployment and re-stuff until I get it down pat. I didn't like having to pull the bag around which then put quick release behind me but this was the only way I was comfortable re-stuffing the bag. I didn't have much success re-stuffing the bag when the bag was just pulled to my side. My thoughts were to leave the quick release buckle open and hope the belt didn't come completely out of the buckle. What do you folks do?

Neil

It's interesting to read this thread today as I was practicing tows with my new North Water Sea Tec tow belt system on Saturday. The bag stuffing was a bit of and effort until I loosened the belt enough to make the bag easier to access. When I pulled the bag in front of me it was hard very hard to stuff it with the waist belt snug. I then turned it back loosened the quick release and brought the pouch back around in front of me. I was then able to fairly easily stuff the bag. The line was pulled in and sitting in a pile on my spray skirt while I was doing this. Once stuffed the re taco wrapping of the NW bag was very difficult as the line was just stuffed in. I'm going to practice this deployment and re-stuff until I get it down pat. I didn't like having to pull the bag around which then put quick release behind me but this was the only way I was comfortable re-stuffing the bag. I didn't have much success re-stuffing the bag when the bag was just pulled to my side. My thoughts were to leave the quick release buckle open and hope the belt didn't come completely out of the buckle. What do you folks do?

Neil

I don't think that the belt needs to be tight around your waist. You might try keeping the belt a bit loose: loose enough that it can be spun around your waist till the bag is in a position comfortable for you to stow your line , then spin it back to where you want it once the line is stowed. Also, if you're clipping on to a boat on the opposite side from where you wear your bag , just spin the bag around to that side: that way you don't have to reach around behind you with the carabinier or pull the line up over your head.

I would avoid undoing the quick release belt buckle at any time other than for its intended purpose,which is jettisoning your belt. A loose belt seems like one more variable that needn't be dealt with at any phase of a tow scenario.

If the belt is too tight, it might hamper your torso rotation when you need it most, putting on the forward stroke power during a tow. It should slide easily around so that where the rope connects to the belt is in the small of our back (or a wee bit higher, but not much ) during the tow.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments. Actually the belt wasn't very tight and I could spin it around but with the PFD above it and spray deck below it made it seem tighter and hard to load. I do plan to try loosening it enough to easily load it but not too loose that if I had to wet exit it won't end up sliding down and impairing my ability at re-entry. I guess it's a trial and error thing to find the best fit for the belt. I did a wet exit after later when the tow bag was not rolled up completely and still a little loose found it got in the way trying to get seated in the kayak after a re-entry

Neil

and this is EXACTLY part of my towing strategy....stuff the line in the pfd and then get it sorted back into the bag when things aren't quite so exciting.

If you can stuff it into your PFD, why can't you stuff it into the bag? That's what I've always done, at least since I switched to a Northwater tow rig with the large bag. Other than that, I agree with everything you've said.

The bag stuffing was a bit of and effort until I loosened the belt enough to make the bag easier to access. When I pulled the bag in front of me it was hard very hard to stuff it with the waist belt snug. I then turned it back loosened the quick release and brought the pouch back around in front of me. I was then able to fairly easily stuff the bag. The line was pulled in and sitting in a pile on my spray skirt while I was doing this.

I always keep the belt loose enough to allow me to pivot the bag to any position I need to. In addition to making it easier to work with, it also allows the bag to adjust itself to an off-center tow, which can occur in crosswinds and currents.

Once the line is stowed in the bag, it's secure and there's no need to worry about rolling it up until you get to a convenient place to do so. I'm not sure about the Sea-Tec rig, but the Quick Release Rescue Tow has a second velcro patch that's exposed when the bag is unrolled, so the top of the bag can be secured if necessary.

I've never had any trouble stuffing the bag, but that may be partially due to the fact that I wear an akuilisaq rather than a spray skirt/deck. It has enough slack in it to allow the bag to hang open for stowing the rope.

Whenever I have to do a re-entry, I hook the carabiner on my grab loop to the top of my PFD, which keeps the skirt and tow rig out of my way (I always wear the tow rig with the bag forward when I'm not using it).

If you can stuff it into your PFD, why can't you stuff it into the bag? That's what I've always done, at least since I switched to a Northwater tow rig with the large bag. Other than that, I agree with everything you've said.

i've used the NW too and it's a good bag...i think it's a little bulky and have been using an ndk because of the smaller profile but they're very similar in design - both taco wrap bags.....i think in part because i don't just stuff it in...i lay it down into the bag so that when i deploy it again it plays out cleanly...so maybe i'm just taking more time?

as opposed to just stuffing it under the pfd and clipping it off, i'd have to....

1. bring the bag from back to front....

2. open bag,

3. collect line and stuff into bag

4. close bag

for me, i think it's just faster to stuff it under, clip it off and paddle away...which is not to say that you don't take the time to do it properly when you have the time and MOST often, you have the time....it's just ocassionally i might need to vacate with a little more alacrity.

i like tow rigs that have a taco wrap bag.

Here is a review of tow belts from Canoe & Kayak

http://canoekayak.com/gear/accessories/towsystemsreview/

Rick talks about a "taco wrap bag" and the Canoe & Kayak review refers to a "burrito-style bag". I have some questions: Which is better? Is the "taco" style a crunchy shell or a soft tortilla. Could you possibly go with a chalupa instead? Is the burrito style a breakfast burrito? Does the tow system need to be a mexican style, or could it possibly be a gyro or calzone? I really like tzatziki sauce, and pepperoni can really be nice after a good workout.

I'm really confused and more than a little bit hungry. I would think the burrito style would be a little easier to eat in rough water, but I think I would be happy to be wearing a sprayskirt with either taco or burrito style. It is not a big deal to get salsa and taco shell crumbs off the skirt by rolling, while getting them out of the cockpit requires going ashore and rinsing out the boat.

Any advice people could offer in this regard would be greatly appreciated, I am going paddling this afternoon and am trying to decide what to bring along.

Rick talks about a "taco wrap bag" and the Canoe & Kayak review refers to a "burrito-style bag". I have some questions: Which is better? Is the "taco" style a crunchy shell or a soft tortilla. Could you possibly go with a chalupa instead? Is the burrito style a breakfast burrito? Does the tow system need to be a mexican style, or could it possibly be a gyro or calzone? I really like tzatziki sauce, and pepperoni can really be nice after a good workout.

I'm really confused and more than a little bit hungry. I would think the burrito style would be a little easier to eat in rough water, but I think I would be happy to be wearing a sprayskirt with either taco or burrito style. It is not a big deal to get salsa and taco shell crumbs off the skirt by rolling, while getting them out of the cockpit requires going ashore and rinsing out the boat.

Any advice people could offer in this regard would be greatly appreciated, I am going paddling this afternoon and am trying to decide what to bring along.

more of a soft tortilla shell sort of thing....what is a chalupa exactly? i've only ever seen the commercials.

Does the tow system need to be a mexican style, or could it possibly be a gyro or calzone?

Good question. Generally speaking, diversity is good and a balanced diet important.

You may want to include Aloo Paratha as another option. Personally I find spring rolls just too confusing and disorganized and dim sum too delicate, but both merit further study.

It might be prudent to forgo your paddle until you have reviewed these options to ascertain which works best for you. Whether you are prone to acid reflux might be a deciding factor.

Ed Lawson

what is a chalupa exactly? i've only ever seen the commercials.

To be honest, I'm not sure. Maybe it is that annoying little dog-like-creature that they used in the ads. I could see how one of those might be quite useful. You toss the dog-like-creature with a rope attached and it may act like a self-guide throw rope, homing in on the closest floating object.

To be honest, I'm not sure. Maybe it is that annoying little dog-like-creature that they used in the ads. I could see how one of those might be quite useful. You toss the dog-like-creature with a rope attached and it may act like a self-guide throw rope, homing in on the closest floating object.

well it might work but i think restuffing theline into the little fella'd be tough on him.

Please take any reviews from any publication with a grain of salt. Knowing the writers of several of the "REVIEWS", and knowing that they were asked to review gear because they were friends of the editor and not even "seakayakers" makes a major difference. I look for real experience when someone starts running their mouths about gear. Listen to those that train, practice, and use this stuff frequently in conditions. Quick deployment is a must. Reliability is also important. The line being ripped from the bag is a bad thing as has happened to me with an older NW system.

I do own a NW Seatec bag and have made modifications to my liking. In most situations that I've needed it, a short tow(15-20ft) is most practical. You can get in and out quickly. Although it's not a widemouth bag, I do miss my Salamander Pro Keelhauler with modifications.

My 2 cent,

BB