Paddling in RI

sidcohen

This might belong on the Trips Board but here goes. Can someone suggest a good Level 2 paddle in Rhode Island? My wife and I will be down there all day this Sunday.

Sid

The good folks in the Rhode Island Canoe and Kayak Association (RICKA) know a lot about RI paddling: http://www.ricka.org/

If you don't like their trips, just post a message where you want to paddle on the appropriate forum and you should get pointed in the right direction: http://rickaseakayaking.org/forums/

You might also try the Kayak Center, the high end kayaking retailer in RI where the staff expertise is deep; they might be willing to steer you to a suitable location: http://www.kayakcentre.com/About.html

Good luck and good paddling.

Scott

This might belong on the Trips Board but here goes. Can someone suggest a good Level 2 paddle in Rhode Island? My wife and I will be down there all day this Sunday.

Sid

Sid,

Any trip out of Colt State Park off of Poppasquash Road in Bristol, RI should meet your needs.

You can launch near the boat ramp. There is ample parking. Lots of nice islands to see/visit. One nice trip would be out and around Prudence island, just be careful of power boats.

I have personally done three trips out of Colt Park.

I also suggest you contact Cat or her husband at nearby Ocean State Adventures also on Poppasquash Road in Bristol could provide you with some other destinations.

http://oceanstateadventures.com/contactus.htm

Sid

Although it isn't in RI, a paddle down the Westport River is always fun and definitely a L2 trip. You can launch at the public landing by Osprey Sea Kayak at the Head of the Westport and paddle down to Hix Bridge or further if you want.

Sam and Carl at Osprey (www.ospreyseakayak.com) can also recommend other trip in the MA/RI area as they are very "local".

Deb M :roll::surfcool:

Sid

Depending on where you are in RI, these trips might be close although they are in MA. The West Branch of the Westport River from Adamsville to Horseneck Point is a short, easy, protected paddle, probably about 3 miles each way. You can stop on the back of Horseneck Beach and walk around to the open water side (or continue paddling into more open water).There are LOTS of osprey nests along the way-very cool.

Another very similar and nearby paddle is the Slocum's River from Russels Mills to Demerest Lloyd State park. The beach is more gravelly and shallow, but a nice, scenic paddle. It can get a bit windy, especially near the mouth, but in general is quite protected. It passes the Lloyd Center for Environmental Studies which is a kind of neat place to stop. Again, about 3.5 miles each way.

The East Branch of the Westport that Deb mentioned is between Slocums and the West Branch of the Westport. They are all fairly close together.

Also, the water is so much warmer there!!!

Enjoy

Haven't been there in years, but I used to sail on Salt Pond (Wakefield/Narragansett) as a kid. Protected water, but lots of boats. On the other hand, lots of shallow areas that they keep away from. There (was) a public boat launch and parking area in Wakefield, right off of Rt1 that gets you into the upper pond. (Ram Point Marina is one of the names I remember) - through the narrows is the lower pond - which is quite big with several islands in it. (Camp Fuller is on the lower pond). Great seafood in that area (Galilee(sp??), too.