Tippy goes away?

DeCourcy

Thought you expert folks would get a laugh, but, tonight I took my maiden voyage in my new boat. After years in a Rec boat I'm used to being STABLE. Well, though I knew it wouldn't be the same, I sure felt unsteady in the Susquehanna. Straight ahead, fine. Turning, fine. Backwards, fine. But list slightly to either side and geez, I got a bad case of the 'twitches'. O.K., granted I was on the rough water of Chebacco Lake, and I know I need to settle down an not over-react. But can anybody estimate from past experience how many times I'll need to go out before things start to settle down and feel 'comfy' for me?

Also, if anyone's looking for a hoist system to hang their boat from, I found a really cheap price at BrandsPlace.com. A two-point hoist with 200 lb. capacity for $35.95 and Free shipping.

(You can stop laughing now.)

Thanks,

Jim.

When you paddle a rec boat, you get used to:

A) Being able to make larger weight shifts without feeling unstable

B) Needing to make large movements and weight shifts in order to control the boat

In your new, more responsive boat, these amount to overreactions or overcorrections. It will take a bit of time for you to become accustomed to using the smaller movements and weight shifts which are all that your new boat needs. After a bit of time in it, you'll begin to feel the subtleties in its handling. How long it takes depends on you and how often you paddle. It's a gradual process that could take a month or so, but it will happen if you stick with it.

One thing's for sure, once you get used to the new boat, you'll hate paddling the old one.

This will pass. The Yare that I started paddling is about 14" at the water line and feels extremely tippy when I first get in. After a couple of hours I don't notice it at all if I am not thinking about it.

You might try finding something to distract you while you paddle like having a conversation with someone. When you realize that you have been paddling for a while without feeling tippy, you will start to feel much more confident.

-Dee

Hi Jim,

The first time I got into my Diamante (old name, same boat), I was in the pool. I paddled a few strokes and leaned into a low brace turn and promptly did a face plant. I had the jitters for the next few trips but it passsed.

Just takes some getting used to.

Patty

Congrats on the new boat!

One way I have found really helpfull in learning to be core comfortable in a new boat is to intentionally explore the stability edges of the new boat. Once you really experience what the point of no return is you then will be able to relax in the comfort of really knowing how much room you have. How to explore this edge? An easy way is to find a dock or friends boat or someone willing to stand in shallow water to spot you (dry suit might make this option more comfortable this time of year). Get parallel to the dock ot boat, put down your paddle and start working on edging your boat, tipping it toward the support, but keeping your body upright. Do this by lifting the knee on the side away from the support. Go slowly and feel but keep going until you pass the edge and need to catch your self on the dock, boat or hands of your spotter. Right your self (dropping the lifted knee and lifting the lower knee) and do it again several times being aware of how the boat feels as it transitions from upright to beyond the edge. Then try to slowly work up to just before the edge stop and return the boat to flat again. Practice this a few times as well focusing on feel and the feedback the boat provides. Now for comparison try leaning your body towards the support. You will not get as far, this demonstrates the difference between edging and leaning.

If you are comfortable with a low brace, pick up your paddle and try the up to the edge and return exercise without the spotter or support. Brace with the paddle only when you need it to avoid capsize. It might take a few tries to get as far as you did with the support, thats ok take the time. Remember to focus on how it feels and what the boat is telling you.

Why is this edge stuff important? It is what gives you control of the boat in wind and waves and it lets you turn the boat on a dime. Start to explore the the impact in wind and waves by finding the onshore windy spot on your lake and practice with the waves striking your boat on the side (called a beam sea) notice how boat lean helps you control your direction and how much effect the waves have.

Practice edged turns by doing 180s first with sweep strokes on one side only then alternate lean and sweep sides.

One you have done these exercises for a little while you will be a lot happier with your new boat. Enjoy!

Guy

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I know, 'practice makes perfect', or at least 'better'. Brian, I'm just starting the making the Greenland paddle. I wish I was using it yesterday. My big paddle made it seem like I was pushing against a rock and making the tippiness seem worse... I imagine that will lessen with a skinnier stick.

Jim.

Guest guest

When I first paddled an explorer I thought "Well this is a great boat, but I must paddle another season or two before I can handle one." So I got a 23 inch wide boat in december. Well in april or so an explorer came up at the right price so I snatched it. After about 6 hours on lake cochituate I took it to the vinyard and back out of woods hole and and assisted with multiple rescues in the middle of west chop. Tippy goes away? Absolutely! (anybody want to buy a 23 inch wide boat? ;-) I'm really keeping it for camping and guests)