Buying a new Kayak for beginner

fishpool

I have to buy a kayak

I am beginner female 5'3 130pounds

Are inflatable kayaks good for beginners?

Welcome to the Club!

Generally, inflatable kayaks are not the way to go, particularly if you're interested in paddling with a group. Your best bet is to attend one of the many lake sessions on the Calendar and ask to try one of the many different boats that you will see there. Members are usually only too happy to let others try their boats.

You may want to post your question in the General Message forum since a lot of people may miss it in the Classified section.

I have to buy a kayak

Hey Waterlover,

No one "Has to buy a kayak"... except for some of us who are a wee bit addicted. Usually said along the lines of "it was so pretty and it was on sale so I just had to buy it..."

As for inflatables - there are a few inflatables that would be good sea kayaks. Take a look at the Feathercraft http://www.feathercraft.com/kayaks/traditional/index.php take a look at the Khatsalano...

If on the other hand you are looking at inflatables usually bought at big box stores, they are not usually sea worthy and while suitable for a beginner who wants to float on a pond/lake, they are not usually suitable for trips on the ocean with others paddling sea kayaks.

I second Kevin's suggestion of showing up at one of the lake sessions and introducing yourself. Surely someone there will chat with you a bit about kayaks and point you in the right direction.

Suz

Suzanne, AFAIK Feathercraft do not make inflatable kayaks; but they <do>, however, make collapsible ones...(there is one version of the Khatsalano -- the Khatsalano S -- that has inflatable sponsons for paddlers who require less instability; but that hardly counts).

I have to buy a kayak

No.

There are LOTS of choices in under $1k plastic beginner kayaks, but the only one with a skeg that's useful enough to be both a beginner and novice kayak is the new Necky Manitou14, at around $800 on sale. It'll be fun to paddle for lots of venues, and if you then want to get into serious seakayaking you can graduate to a proper 16-17 footer in a year or two.

Most folks "go" through 3-4 kayaks as their skills develop.

With the M14 that might be only 2-3 at most...unless you get addicted, like most of us!

Best bet is to TRY lots of 12-14 footers, realizing that very initial instability is quickly outgrown.

Or borrow a few, and if you're a really quick learner maybe get that 16 footer sooner.

The path is not unlike biking...you start with a heavy, stable city/comfort bike and then evolve as your desires and abilities lead.

Note that almost all used kayaks are worth 1/2 new price, so starting with a $1k plastic hull to get the ropes means you'll either keep it for friends to borrow or resell it later, as you upgrade.

Try to start with something that's just a bit challenging so that you get more time with it before you let it go. I watched a newbie about your size quickly progress from a short fat rec boat to a 15' Necky Eliza at the REI Demo Day last month in less than an hour...totally thrilled at how much faster and more controlled...and FUN!...it felt.

If you'll be solo-loading onto a roof rack total weight is perhaps a consideration, but most plastic 14-15 footers are still 50 lbs.

Sit in a lot of boats and get an idea how they feel...comfort goes a long way. Don't be too concerned about back height and support as hip, thigh, knee and foot placement are what's important.

My prejudice is to get a really nice, light paddle that you'll keep awhile, even as you progress through your first yak. A too-heavy, too long paddle is extremely tiring and counterproductive to both your efficiency and pleasure.

I'm late getting down to the Tuesday Mystic Lakes Skills Sessions...you're welcome to join us (only $15!) for unlimited lessons all summer and into fall.

Have fun.

Ern

No.

There are LOTS of choices in under $1k plastic beginner kayaks, but the only one with a skeg that's useful enough to be both a beginner and novice kayak is the new Necky Manitou14, at around $800 on sale. It'll be fun to paddle for lots of venues, and if you then want to get into serious seakayaking you can graduate to a proper 16-17 footer in a year or two.

Most folks "go" through 3-4 kayaks as their skills develop.

With the M14 that might be only 2-3 at most...unless you get addicted, like most of us!

Best bet is to TRY lots of 12-14 footers, realizing that very initial instability is quickly outgrown.

Or borrow a few, and if you're a really quick learner maybe get that 16 footer sooner.

The path is not unlike biking...you start with a heavy, stable city/comfort bike and then evolve as your desires and abilities lead.

Note that almost all used kayaks are worth 1/2 new price, so starting with a $1k plastic hull to get the ropes means you'll either keep it for friends to borrow or resell it later, as you upgrade.

Try to start with something that's just a bit challenging so that you get more time with it before you let it go. I watched a newbie about your size quickly progress from a short fat rec boat to a 15' Necky Eliza at the REI Demo Day last month in less than an hour...totally thrilled at how much faster and more controlled...and FUN!...it felt.

If you'll be solo-loading onto a roof rack total weight is perhaps a consideration, but most plastic 14-15 footers are still 50 lbs.

Sit in a lot of boats and get an idea how they feel...comfort goes a long way. Don't be too concerned about back height and support as hip, thigh, knee and foot placement are what's important.

My prejudice is to get a really nice, light paddle that you'll keep awhile, even as you progress through your first yak. A too-heavy, too long paddle is extremely tiring and counterproductive to both your efficiency and pleasure.

I'm late getting down to the Tuesday Mystic Lakes Skills Sessions...you're welcome to join us (only $15!) for unlimited lessons all summer and into fall.

Have fun.

Ern

what's the $15 thing?

You don't want to buy anything you haven't spent much time in.

I would do some research at such places as NESC (North Shore), CRCK (Newton), etc. where you will get sound advice. You should be asked questions about where you plan to paddle, what you can do, what you would like to do, etc.

When you have a "short list" I would suggest you rent boats of interest for several days or more. I would seek out other paddlers and try to swap for all/part of a day paddle. Others may have a spare boat they would allow you to paddle.

You should take the greenland paddle course, more than half serious.

Suzanne, AFAIK Feathercraft do not make inflatable kayaks; but they <do>, however, make collapsible ones...(there is one version of the Khatsalano -- the Khatsalano S -- that has inflatable sponsons for paddlers who require less instability; but that hardly counts).

Of course... DUH - what was I thinking.... I am classifying the inflatables with folders....

So, inflatable no - collapsible yes in terms of seaworthyness.

Suz

Waterlover.

I wonder if you could tell us a little about your immediate and future paddling goals. Where are you planning to paddle (lakes/rivers, protected ocean bays, and/or open ocean)? Where you plan to use your kayak and under what conditions will determine which types of kayak are most appropriate.

Al Coons

Cetus

red/white

Have you guys heard any reviews of the necky eliza kayak? it's supposed to be a good choice for small paddlers and it looks really pretty, but i don't know anyone who has one.

agree the best way is to come to the lake sessions and hop in other peoples boats and look for a used one!

I will add, after being a kayak owner and paddler for a little over a year, that what you THINK you may be up for as far as ocean vs. lakes and how you actually think after doing it for a month or two can vary quite a bit. I had a plastic Perception Carolina 15'5" with a rudder that I bought at REI. Although it was seaworthy, I very quickly moved up to a fiberglass kayak that was more appropriate for my quickly changing interests as far as paddling destionations. I never imagined that I would be out on the ocean much, let alone really loving the experience and fulfillment of trying challenging conditions on the water and developing my skills to be competent at handling my kayak.

The thing about this activity is that it doesn't take much to make you love it - and you don't have to be out everyday on expiditions to be at the point of getting serious gear. The investment at first is big, but worth every penny... buy a used boat for much less than new and the great thing is that you will be able to sell it for almost the same price that you bought it for and there is always someone that needs to buy a boat ;)

Have you guys heard any reviews of the necky eliza kayak? it's supposed to be a good choice for small paddlers and it looks really pretty, but i don't know anyone who has one.

I demoed one at Charles River Canoe/Kayak last year. It looked great on paper. But I didn't care for it at all when I paddled it. No secondary stability, not very playful, less than great for rolling. For a small paddler I'd suggest the Avocet LV over the Eliza. But for this paddler (the person who started the thread) it's probably smart to demo and buy used. What she thinks she wants now and what she'll want a year from now could be very different.

Agree with the others that inflatable is not going to be compatible with the kind of trips NSPN runs.

kate

Waterlover,

If you're looking ahead to getting a kayak, the after work skills sessions are a good place to start getting a sense of what's what.

The calendar section shows that there are sessions on Tuesdays (Great Pond, Kingston, NH), Wednesdays (Lake Gardner, Amesbury), Thursdays (Chebacco Lake, Essex) and Fridays (Salem Harbor). The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming.

If you figure out a skills session that would work for your schedule, and post a message in advance, the usual participants might between them arrange for an extra boat to be there, and you can play musical boats and try out various models.

Charles River Canoe and Kayak in Newton is also worth a visit. They've got lots of different kayaks, a dock off of a fresh water pond(really part of the Charles River, but a pond-like setting) and you can demo anything they have: they have a helpful staff and there's no pressure to buy.

I demoed one at Charles River Canoe/Kayak last year. It looked great on paper. But I didn't care for it at all when I paddled it. No secondary stability, not very playful, less than great for rolling. For a small paddler I'd suggest the Avocet LV over the Eliza. But for this paddler (the person who started the thread) it's probably smart to demo and buy used. What she thinks she wants now and what she'll want a year from now could be very different.

Agree with the others that inflatable is not going to be compatible with the kind of trips NSPN runs.

kate

oh i forgot the avocet had an LV! agree that that boat would be a great choice . . . anyone you know have one that waterlover could try?

waterlover, we have a plastic and a glass avocet that you're welcome to try at the forest river sessions, but with your height and weight an LV (Low Volume) might be the best for you

Waterlover,

If you're looking ahead to getting a kayak, the after work skills sessions are a good place to start getting a sense of what's what.

The calendar section shows that there are sessions on Tuesdays (Great Pond, Kingston, NH), Wednesdays (Lake Gardner, Amesbury), Thursdays (Chebacco Lake, Essex) and Fridays (Salem Harbor). The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming.

Hey Pete!

You forgot Mystic Lake on Tuesdays!

Ern

Hey Pete!

You forgot Mystic Lake on Tuesdays!

Ern

Sorry, I didn't mean to dis Mystic Lake; just didn't see it on the calendar like the other skills sessions , and little on the message board, so I thought they hadn't really gotten off the ground yet.

So: if Ernie says so: Mystic Lakes on Tuesdays!

Oh, Kate: you are always so <sensible>!

Ernie: might I disagree with you, in principle? A person wanting to learn photography will <never> learn to take good pictures and technique on a Kodak Instamatic, will they? I would suggest taking classes somewhere like Charles River Canoe and Kayak and then jumping right in to a half-decent boat: I did -- and loved and lived with my Sirius for six-odd years. It was my "starter boat"!

Oh, Kate: you are always so <sensible>!

Ernie: might I disagree with you, in principle? A person wanting to learn photography will <never> learn to take good pictures and technique on a Kodak Instamatic, will they? I would suggest taking classes somewhere like Charles River Canoe and Kayak and then jumping right in to a half-decent boat: I did -- and loved and lived with my Sirius for six-odd years. It was my "starter boat"!

Well-said, Shayla!

Pintail: That's indeed a "serious" first 'yak!

I bought a Pungo12 midwinter as a first boat thinking that the bigger the cockpit the better (!), and chased a comfy seat...and a ridiculous $475 closeout price.

One month later (oy) found me debating between a Carolina14 and a skegged narrower clone called the Monterey...which my daughter quickly kidnapped (npi), so I then let CRCK talk me into PeterB's old Looksha IV HV...all in three months.

So indeed I agree with you in deed.

However if I had to start all over again I'd probably end up with a new skegged Manitou14 (only 49lbs RM) as a first boat, and keeping it for quite awhile for lake use until interest/skills warranted getting a full tourer.

I hate to scare newbies by suggesting they get a 16x22 right away if they can't even sit still in it!

It's quite nice that CRCK let's you try unlimited inventory while in their 3 week training course.

But can that really get MOST newbies up to 3rd boat status so quickly?

I found a pair of glass Manitou14s (39 lbs!) for my sis and bro-in-law in NC for $1200 each last winter. They're STILL trying to get their legs on an adjacent large lake. My rationale is that a skegged 14 footer with hatches can suffice as the first AND second boat (and maybe terminal boat for flatwater) until they decide whether to graduate to seakayaking. I suspect that only one of them might, and given the $2200 list price of this composite Necky, they could retrieve $1k for it (new RM price) anytime.

\Meanwhile they have NO goofy rudder or unstable foot pegs to deal with, a couple of hatches, and a hull that actually looks and performs decently for its size. And 39 lbs means my sis can get it in the water solo.

I remember that I was so wobbly the first few outings that I hesitate to recommend that a newbie gal chase a 16x22 right away...but there are those young gazelles that continue to amaze, eh?

........Anybody paddling tomorrow?

Well-said, Shayla!

Pintail: That's indeed a "serious" first 'yak!

I bought a Pungo12 midwinter as a first boat thinking that the bigger the cockpit the better (!), and chased a comfy seat...and a ridiculous $475 closeout price.

One month later (oy) found me debating between a Carolina14 and a skegged narrower clone called the Monterey...which my daughter quickly kidnapped (npi), so I then let CRCK talk me into PeterB's old Looksha IV HV...all in three months.

So indeed I agree with you in deed.

However if I had to start all over again I'd probably end up with a new skegged Manitou14 (only 49lbs RM) as a first boat, and keeping it for quite awhile for lake use until interest/skills warranted getting a full tourer.

I hate to scare newbies by suggesting they get a 16x22 right away if they can't even sit still in it!

It's quite nice that CRCK let's you try unlimited inventory while in their 3 week training course.

But can that really get MOST newbies up to 3rd boat status so quickly?

I found a pair of glass Manitou14s (39 lbs!) for my sis and bro-in-law in NC for $1200 each last winter. They're STILL trying to get their legs on an adjacent large lake. My rationale is that a skegged 14 footer with hatches can suffice as the first AND second boat (and maybe terminal boat for flatwater) until they decide whether to graduate to seakayaking. I suspect that only one of them might, and given the $2200 list price of this composite Necky, they could retrieve $1k for it (new RM price) anytime.

\Meanwhile they have NO goofy rudder or unstable foot pegs to deal with, a couple of hatches, and a hull that actually looks and performs decently for its size. And 39 lbs means my sis can get it in the water solo.

I remember that I was so wobbly the first few outings that I hesitate to recommend that a newbie gal chase a 16x22 right away...but there are those young gazelles that continue to amaze, eh?

........Anybody paddling tomorrow?

I did the CRCK 3 week class/intensive demo program then ordered the boat I still paddle today. Thus I would recommend testing a lot of boats from as many people and places, then get a boat that still challenges you.

-Jason