Tow Lines, with or without bungee?

jason

As it seems to be the season the redo our tow rigs I am working on mine.

I was wondering what the conventional wisdom was about the bungee . My current system has the bungee but I have heard from a few people that it's not needed. I haven't towed without it but removing the bungee so I don't know if it's really assobing any shock or if the rope stretch is enough. Removing the bungee would allow for me mount a 2nd beaner inside to hook to the release end of my daisy chain.

Thanks -Jason

As it seems to be the season the redo our tow rigs I am working on mine.

I was wondering what the conventional wisdom was about the bungee . My current system has the bungee but I have heard from a few people that it's not needed. I haven't towed without it but removing the bungee so I don't know if it's really assobing any shock or if the rope stretch is enough. Removing the bungee would allow for me mount a 2nd beaner inside to hook to the release end of my daisy chain.

Thanks -Jason

I don't like the bungee. You can tow me with my system sometime and see how it feels.

Long time ago Steve Maynard used to use a stick or other piece of flotsam to hold the daisy chain. He felt that using something you can discard was the simplest solution rather than a clip.

Suz

I don't like the bungee. You can tow me with my system sometime and see how it feels.

Long time ago Steve Maynard used to use a stick or other piece of flotsam to hold the daisy chain. He felt that using something you can discard was the simplest solution rather than a clip.

Suz

i like the bungie...i feel it helps take the shock out of the line when you'e towing in rougher water especially. if you're going to try playing around with rigs...try it where it's bumpy. have someone on one side of a wave/swell and feel the difference between a line that extends (bungie) and one that just jerks (no bungie).

i agree with what suz has to say about the 2nd biner....eh, you can get around it.

I like the bungee, despite the fact that it does add some bulk. In the four real tows I've had to do (two of which were for sailboats with broken masts, BTW) - the give of the bungee made it comfortable, otherwise I would've felt a lot more jerkiness of the line. Practicing in conditions also made me appreciate the bungee. The daisy chain also has some give to it, and can help with a short line.

After Rick's post, I'm going to work on the carabiner end of my rig, which I can see leaves something to be desired. I'm thinking of going to one of the larger carabiners that's used for climbing, rather than the standard stuff that comes with the rigs you get that are all complete.

If people are going to do a practice session in conditions, I'd be interested in joining.

I've found that a bungee in the rig makes a big difference in comfort, especially when towing on a short line or with a long line in rough water. I wouldn't be without one on my tow rig. It adds a little bulk, but I can live with that for the comfort it provides.

I'm for the bungee, I can feel the give that it provides in the bumpy stuff. I use a SS biner that I got @ West marine to release my daisey chain, it is secured to the lop on the bungee. with nylon cord, so that I don't loose it. I have had to release it in bumpy stuff & it works for me.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone using this tow line/belt/bag product from North Water? It looked pretty good and seemed to have everything needed in a tow line & bag/belt combo.

http://www.northwater.com/html/seatec_line.html

I'm looking to upgrade my basic tow line/bag for a belt type and would like some suggestions. I've seen the Kokatat, NRS and Valley tow belts as well.

Neil

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone using this tow line/belt/bag product from North Water? It looked pretty good and seemed to have everything needed in a tow line & bag/belt combo.

Neil, I have the Northwater tow system and it works well. No real complaints and it's held up over the past several years.

Carl C.

Neil, I have the Northwater tow system and it works well. No real complaints and it's held up over the past several years.

Carl C.

Neil,

It's a very popular tow belt: I like mine and I've heard few to no negatives. What sets it apart (IMO) is the wide mouth to the bag, which is great when stowing your line after a tow, something you want to do swiftly, if possible .

You can't see in the picture, but by pulling at a velcro strip the bag opens from the tight burrito shape in picture to a looser, bigger bag. Some paddlers like to paddle with it wrapped tight, some like it loose.

In the picture you can clearly see the (wrong) position of the float that everyone's talking about: too close to the biner, will hang up in towed boat deck lines. Better positioned about four feet away from the carabinier.

http://www.northwater.com/html/seatec_line.html

I'm looking to upgrade my basic tow line/bag for a belt type and would like some suggestions. I've seen the Kokatat, NRS and Valley tow belts as well.

Neil

Neil,

This is the tow system used by more experienced paddlers ans coaches I know than any other. Each iteration of this tow belt is slightly different, but all have been good. Most I know make some minor adjustment to the stock setup. e.g. if it is currently as pictured I would move the float further away from the carabiner