Baffin, Boreal Design ???

Doug

Looking for feedback on the Boreal Design Baffin Poly Kayak. I'm interested in a bulletproof poly sea kayak to back-up my Cetus that that can also be used by beginner family members or friends that may want to join me. They have considerably lighter bodies than mine. Maybe I'm asking too much from one kayak. Has anyone paddled the Baffin or suggest a poly boat to fit these parameters?

doug

Looking for feedback on the Boreal Design Baffin Poly Kayak. I'm interested in a bulletproof poly sea kayak to back-up my Cetus that that can also be used by beginner family members or friends that may want to join me. They have considerably lighter bodies than mine. Maybe I'm asking too much from one kayak. Has anyone paddled the Baffin or suggest a poly boat to fit these parameters?

doug

no experience with a baffin but as far as suggesting an alternative....i don't think anyone has ever complained about buying/owning or whupping up on a poly valley avocet...can fit a wide array of folks and none too tippy. great all around boat and a fantastic go play in the rocks and try to kill it boat.

doug

I thought I read somewhere that the Baffin is their new poly version of their composite Ellesmere. Possibly people familiar with the Ellesmere might be able to shed light on this hull design. I believe the Ellesmere is quite maneuverable, but prone to weather cocking and I have no knowledge as to how close the Baffin might be to the Ellesmere. Boreal's new skeg system does seem to address some of the issues of a wired skeg system.

• 4 weeks later...
I thought I read somewhere that the Baffin is their new poly version of their composite Ellesmere. Possibly people familiar with the Ellesmere might be able to shed light on this hull design. I believe the Ellesmere is quite maneuverable, but prone to weather cocking and I have no knowledge as to how close the Baffin might be to the Ellesmere. Boreal's new skeg system does seem to address some of the issues of a wired skeg system.

Demoed one

Yesterday I was looking at some solo canoes for fly fishing and Boreal had a Baffin at the same demo event so I tried it out. It was on Lake Winnipausaukee and the conditions were quite mild and I wasn't in it for any great length of time. To me it appeared to have much less rocker then the Ellsemere and was stronger on the tracking side then the maneuverable side and I doubt it would need the skeg very often. I thought it was extremely quick for a poly boat and it didn't seem to push water with it's bow and had some glide. The clearance of the back band to the cockpit rim was much better then it was on an older composite Ellesmere I had paddled. Seat was extremely comfortable and a great fit right out of the box for me. I didn't like the contact my legs and thighs had with the cockpit forcing me to sit bow legged. They supposedly have thigh braces for it, but the rep thought my legs weren't going to have an advantage from them. I'm 6' & 220 lbs. I found it pretty stable, but watched an older gentleman new to the sport look a little tender in it. My guess is it would handle heavier waters fine, but not be really nimble. Nice looking and plastic seemed pretty stiff.

I purchased the Baffin (by Boreal design) 8 days ago at Contoocook River Kayak & Canoe. Pat has always taken care of me in the past. I have now paddled it 4 times and logged on 30+ miles. Compared it with the Ellesmere on back to back paddles as well as 2 poly P&H Capelas in different lengths. I felt the baffin plowed a bit (probably due to my 240 lb body) but that did not seam to have any effect on forward or reverse speed. In fact this boat really moves along rather quickly. Initial stability was very good, quite different than the Ellesmere which tended to be a bit unstable until you got a few forward strokes going. Although the new skeg worked flawlessly, it was not needed unless a cross wind was over 12 mph. I like the lines of the design. Very nimble and easy to turn yet holding an edge seemed to take more out me than my 50 lb Cetus. Low profile behind the cockpit .... effortless rolls. The Baffin uses the highest quality poly I have seen that actually has a nice smooth sheen to it. I chose "Mango" yet Pat has another in "yellow" as well as a multi-colored demo boat. First rate workmanship makes it a winner in my book.

Doug