Bay of Fundy

spider

Has anybody "been there, done that"

I would think that there are some wild tidal races in some spots.

Also wondering if anyone has been to the Bay of Fundy Biosphere Reserve and Fundy National Park?

I would think the paddling would run from mild to wild.

Did you use a guide. Day or multi day.. ?

Any preferences seeing it on the New Brunswick side or the Nova Scotia area?

We are thinking about the 3rd week of Sept...

Has anybody "been there, done that"

I would think that there are some wild tidal races in some spots.

Also wondering if anyone has been to the Bay of Fundy Biosphere Reserve and Fundy National Park?

I would think the paddling would run from mild to wild.

Did you use a guide. Day or multi day.. ?

Any preferences seeing it on the New Brunswick side or the Nova Scotia area?

We are thinking about the 3rd week of Sept...

I was up to Tangier, NS and Fundy with an advanced class ( 5 star) through Coastal Adventures in 06. It was 3 days out of Tangier camping and training. Very undeveloped, camp anywhere, no people, many islands.

Then we did a day at the top of Fundy where it pushes back the Shubenacadia (sp) river to create rows of standing waves for a fun ride up the river. Started with many acres of red mudflats then the 45' tide comes and sets things in motion. Not for the faint at heart.

Two days were spent at a tidal race in NB called Cape d'Or. You should get it on Goole earth. Just a point that sticks out and creates a fun play spot. Beware if you get near this..in fact you may not get near it if you plan it wrong.

The area around Cape d'Or has tall cliffs, sea caves and large features. It is very different from New England whereas the east of NS is like our backyard with no people.

Did not get to the national park or the Flower Pots but can tell from the pictures it is similar looking.

In sept. east NS will have warmer water, maybe 58- 60 but Fundy is much colder,as in drysuit needed.

I have some pictures on webshots and will try to link on this posting...

Fundy is 3-4 hours closer than Tangier, NS and so different from NE that it is a must see for people that have the skills and like to camp ( car or boat). Spend a week and you could do a day or two in Eastport, ME.

Get the charts and study the ebb and flow before you go....

Being that I'm from Saint John, New Brunswick, I thought I'd mention the Reversing Falls right in the middle of the city. I'm not talking the main channel, but rather the smaller side channel right off the lookout. Ithink the waves are too steep for a seaboat on the low, but there is a wave train about a kilometre down river closer in the actual harbour. There are some fun spots in around Deer Island and Eastport, but I'd give the Old Sow respect. You should know the ferries' routes, though. You might want to scout some channles for old weir posts as well before running through. Low tide between Deer Island and Hardwood has a good channel that gets some half decent standing waves. The Shubenacadie in Nova Scotia is supposed to be best in the fall. And while the water is cold in the Bay, it's almost like a half season behind temp -wise. It's not that bad in the early fall, but I wouldn't play without at least a wetsuit.

Good luck,

Pete

I'd second Paul's recommendation of the Eastern Shore of NS (east of Halifax). In 1999, Beth and I camped for three weeks on the islands out of Tangier (home of Coastal Adventures): as Paul says it's coastal Maine without people or restrictions on camping anywhere. Water is cold but tides only a couple of feet since it's outside the Gulf of Maine.

Highly recommended, but a long way away: 13-14 hours drive or take the high speed ferry from Bar Harbor.

Also would recommend Coastal Adventures: Scott and Gale are great folks and very welcoming. We stayed at their B&B but toured ourselves. See http://www.coastaladventures.com.

(The other) Scott