Ever seen a Flying Cetus?

subaruguru

Having started to learn just how "playful" my new Cetus is, corkscrewing reducing-radius turns with only the slightest provocation, and being as wind-cocky as my old Looksha HV, I was ill-prepared for its willingness to actually take flight!

It all started earlier in the week when TomH's Chatham 16 (another playboat...favorite of PeterB too) leapt off his roof rack, braking its fall via the courtesy of my new Miata's fender! Just a small dent which I'll certainly ignore, and no damage to the Necky. Good.

Whilst (thanks, Joe) finishing a fine paddle with AdamB on the Mystic Friday afternoon I bumped into BobB, explaining that I had to leave in preparation of a celebratory 22nd anniversary dinner with Ellen, and then loaded the Cetus.

It's noteworty that P&H advises to NOT load their yaks hull- down on roof racks (although most do), and given my Force5 sits that way taking up most of the crossbar geometry, it was fairly easy to comply by setting the Cetus' berth up on edge, secured on the Thule Set'N-Go's cradled upward to keep from flopping.

I waved MY gurus goodbye, then turned out of the driveway, quickly hearing a loud crash as my new ultralight (indeed) Cetus, having again in its ultraresponsive manner, decided to perform a its maiden flight in a totally gaseous fluid!

We surveyed the mostly minor contusions and multitudes of scratches, as I yelled about my inability to multitask while receiving gentle commiserations. After reloading, with straps REALLY well tightened, I limped home, where Ellen offered to cancel our res at Il Capriccio. But the last thing I wanted was to do was obsess about this all night, so I resisted...but still had some time and daylight to start repairs pronto. (Ha!...just a latent form of denial?)

The Cetus was brought to rest on my hammock, where I finally saw where the rear keel end had taken the initial hit. I had covered both keel ends with industrial 2" wide Velcro black backing, as I like this tough sticky stuff for various auto blem patching, too. Thank goodness.

As I lifted the Velcro edge I saw that crumbled brittle gel granules and shards followed, leaving naked C/K fabric under the stiffer Velcro. DAMN!

But the 2' long Velcro keel "strip" was quite intact, and in my haste (dinner at 8!), decided to use it as a "keel" geometry former, and flooded the volume under it with two-part epoxy. Oops...it was the white/black type with steel filler, 4-6hr cure. Oh but that's good! Dumb luck. I smeared a bunch in the gap, reforming the keel edge, then taped the edges overnight.

Over a fine meal I kept repeating that what's important isn't the damned kayak, but what I DO with it, glass 1/2-full stuff, 22yrs with Ellen, etc. And they didn't overcook the fresh wild halibut either....

Sat AM saw me leaping from Ellen's embrace rather quickly to inspect my work. I used 5min CLEAR epoxy to finish-fill the edges, as well finger-smear ultrathin layers on the other spidery cracks. After a couple of goes of this mostly cosmetic stuff I decided to touch the keel edge up with black lacquer, so now admit that it looks pretty good...although a bit industrial.

I can only imagine that the damage would have been much worse without the thick Velcro "keel-guard", and hope that this now beefed up "armor" will protect this "ultralight" clear hull.

(I remembered Jason's early query about how I would ever deal with naked hull repairs after I placed my order last year, but now see that this isn't rocket science...if one can live with the visual changes.)

The Trio di Limone we shared was certainly followed by the still-in-my-mouth humble pie after I've bragged that with Subie Legacy OBs one needn't use bow/stern tie-downs...as long as one remembers to lash the damned straps! Was I just transfixed by the grace of AdamB's forward stroke...or sharing jokes with BobB...or simply victimized by creeping inability to multitask and short-term memory loss? Sigh....

So "lashings" is the operative theme here: now that I've stopped the self-flagellation kind I mustn't EVER neglect to impose them on this British beast.

Silly thoughts of profiteering on the scarcity of used Ceti (and the 14mo backorder) are, like Al's with its "rent", now completely put to bed, as I doubt that anyone would pay a premium for Ernie's Custom Keel. Now to get paddling this willful whale.

Thanks for the ears, brains and hearts.

Have any of your kayaks ever become airborne?

Have any of your kayaks ever become airborne?

Oh Ernie,

I feel your pain. Only did it once when I have my first plastic sea kayak. It was also after a skills session but the hurry was to get in the car before the bugs ate dinner. I hadn't finished strapping up and had only tied one down.

So... lesson learned for me. Straps and bow/stern lines all belong on the drivers seat until AFTER they are put back on the boat. They don't leave the seat until they are tied on one by one. Can't drive off with them all over the seat so therefore I can't leave until all done.

Suz

Ernie... that sucks. I hit two rocks today if it makes you feel any better (actually they hit me :D ). At least the new boat has now thoroughly gone through its devirginification. I bought it to play in rocks anyway (although I got lucky this time... just surface scratches).

Cheers Joe

Did a 12 mile trec from Odiorne, to Brave Boat, around Gerrish Island and back Sunday. My new Cetus with "Lightweight Kevlar-carbon" clear hull also took on some scratches. Nothing that would bother me with a white hull, but the clear hull shows these nasty scratches like chalk on a black board. Any tricks to hide them??? When wet, they disappear but pop out when the boat becomes dry. How about fingernail epoxy. Any tips would be appreciated...Maybe I shouldn't be so fussy.

Did a 12 mile trec from Odiorne, to Brave Boat, around Gerrish Island and back Sunday. My new Cetus with "Lightweight Kevlar-carbon" clear hull also took on some scratches. Nothing that would bother me with a white hull, but the clear hull shows these nasty scratches like chalk on a black board. Any tricks to hide them??? When wet, they disappear but pop out when the boat becomes dry. How about fingernail epoxy. Any tips would be appreciated...Maybe I shouldn't be so fussy.

Hi Doug,

This is a bit easier than I suspected. I've noticed for years at auto auctions young dudes running around spraying a light finishing "dressing" to detail cars before they hit the block. These very light oils add a shine to everything, but importantly change the reflection angles of scratches so that they disappear!...temporarily of course. Indeed, if you have very light scratches or swirls on a polished surface the application and light wiping with any oil will visually "fill in" the scratch. I think this is the basis for some furniture polishes like Pledge, too.

Ok, so the trick is to apply something like this PERMANENTLY. I was surprised to find that just smearing a bit of mixed clear 2-part epoxy from my finger on a scratched clear hull caused the scratches to most of the time completely disappear! On deeper, more crazed spots the affect wasn't complete, because the area is possibly cracked down to the layup I suspect, but at least this super-thin smear of epoxy would seal and smooth the surface. The 5minute quick dry type was perfect for this. Putting on a slightly thicker coating over these deeper contusions I accomplished with a simple razor blade...still a quite invisible repair, but more obvious to the touch due to the thickness and edge-feel.

Scuffs on the bead, coaming and deck I simply used Armorall on, but as some reappear when dryer I might try hiding with this finger-smear of epoxy trick for both sealing the surface and making it disappear visually. A lot quicker than multi-paper finishing, gelling, spraying. Oy....

Have fun, rinse your fingers in lacquer thinner when you're done, then apply a decent hand cream to replenish skin oils. I found that playing with epozy with latex and vinyl gloves to be just too messy as the epoxy sets and shreds the gloves!

Ern

Do you know the best place to get this 2 part epoxy? Can you get it at the hardware store or West Marine?

Doug. I have agonized over scratches more than most. What are you going to do; spend hours after every paddle dealing with the new scratches? Do you have a life? Like to spend spare time planning and dreaming of new trips? Or anything other than going bonkers over scratches that have no functional impact? Want to enjoy the boat or worry about keeping it free of scratches?

From one who has been there, forget about it. Use the boat. Since these thing represent a very large investment to me, I take care of them, I worry about them , and I don't abuse them; but I use them so I can enjoy paddling. If I use them up through reasonable use, its money well spent. If I hammer them while paddling on a rock, well I was doing what I enjoy and that is the risk.

BTW, do you see the hull while paddling? Does anyone?

Just follow Carl's advice. Keep it wet.

Ed Lawson

Sorry I asked......I won't make that mistake again !

I apologize if I came across in any manner than in a good humored way. It is so easy to give the wrong impression by these posts. Its your boat, do what you want. I only meant to say its easy to go overboard about gear just as some go overboard treating gear poorly. Having met you Sunday, I assumed you would know the spirit of my comments. My mistake completely.

Ed Lawson

Don't worry, I'm sure I over reacted.

On another note, it was a great trip yesterday. One I'll never forget. It took everything I had...and more. Thanks for sharing the experience. We'll do it again soon...

Thanks for the info Ern. Do you know the best place to get this 2 part epoxy? Can you get it at the hardware store or West Marine?

I just answered this on Jason's thread. Any good hardware store carries either the Loctite or JB Weld versions of a steel-filled 2-tube epoxy, for about $4. It's pretty generic stuff, probably originating with 3M or Loctite.

So what trip did you guys "bond" on? Sorry about the pun....

Don't worry, I'm sure I over reacted.

On another note, it was a great trip yesterday. One I'll never forget. It took everything I had...and more. Thanks for sharing the experience. We'll do it again soon...

Doug.......scratches = use = experience they are like a badge of honor! Wear the m proud

Doug.......scratches = use = experience they are like a badge of honor! Wear the m proud

Cathy,

That's easy to say if YOUR Cetus hasn't taken flight yet! Ha.

See ya soon.

Ern

Cathy,

That's easy to say if YOUR Cetus hasn't taken flight yet! Ha.

See ya soon.

Ern

I usually strap mine down before I drive away....but I feel your pain. I had that happen with my first poly kayak.....puyt it on my van in high wind and it blew off before I could get the straps on.

I'm the doofus who scratched Ern's Miata (pure jealousy) and have my own dingaling moment to live down--tied down the bow and stern lines, didn't firmly dog the bow free end and it tangled around my wheel, yanking the bow down hard! Boat survived, car roof now has "character"

see ya on the water thursday?

tom

I'm the doofus who scratched Ern's Miata (pure jealousy) and have my own dingaling moment to live down--tied down the bow and stern lines, didn't firmly dog the bow free end and it tangled around my wheel, yanking the bow down hard! Boat survived, car roof now has "character"

see ya on the water thursday?

tom

I'm having more oral surgery Thursday at 4PM, but she promised I'd be able to paddle afterward...ha! We'll see.

Ern

PS Maybe your Infiniti won't continue to pursue its namesake much longer, eh?