Any (other) families with kids?

Shane

Our daughter, Brenai (will be 12 next month), has decided to take a serious look and find out what all this paddling stuff is about. Brenai did take a class last year and has went out in our rec. boat a few times and definitely is interested. So anyway, we hauled up to NESC this past weekend and picked her up her first sea kayak.

She is going to be doing some of the lake sessions this year and may even go on a trip or two here or there. I was thinking it would be fantastic if there any other kids around her age that are in this same introductory state so at least they could share the learning with someone else in their peer group.

Are there any others out there in the same situation? If so, it may be a good chance to link them up and find a friend to share in their learnings?

Feel free to drop Brenda or I an email or just reply here.

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

I take my 10-1/2 yr old daughter out in the double and it works out great for her. I do the work but do have fun. She can't go far in a single and I end up towing her.

We would try to make some summertime paddles where kids were involved if I could.

I would like to join in on a paddle with my niece, who is 13. She loves kayaking, even took a week long camping/class with MIKCO last year and will do so again this year. I would need to borrow a boat from someone if we were to do this.

Suzanne

Too cool.

I just knew we couldn't be the only ones. Getting the kids out there with other kids (rather than just us boring adults) would certainly spark it up for them.

If this works out, perhaps we could even plan a SNG with them. That is, of course, if they are interested.

Let's keep the kid mingling thing in mind!

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

Guest guest

My 14-year-old son has been out a few times and has yet to be towed. His interest is flagging but knowing there are other kids, especially girls, might get him back in the boat.

Guest guest

I wanna go! Down with boring adults!

Hey, one of my favorite friends is 10 (and if he could power a kayak by talking, he'd go 'round the world). I don't know where/how to introduce him to a (small?) kayak for the first time?

--b

OK, OK... I will move this a bit further up on the activities committee's list!

Is there anyone that would like to volunteer to organize this? Possibly someone who hasn't volunteered for other committees yet? If so, let me know via posting here or e-mailing me:

suzanne.pritchett@comcast.net

Thanks,

Suzanne

10 year old kids fit pretty well into a number of small boats. My favorite is the Wilderness Systems Piccolo. CRCK had a number of these for day rentals the last few seasons, so I expect they will this year too, once the water warms up.

On the other hand, kids seem to prefer sit-on-tops...they are more conducive to goofing off, water fights, stupid tricks, re-entry, etc. Kids seem less concerned with good tracking or distance paddling.

How about a grandma whose grandkids" are too small to paddle (1 and 3 although I have a pic of the 3 yr old in a kayak which almost fit her at the age of one)and whose grown kids have little interest. A grandma could tow a child when the parent was wanting to do something else. That would be great fun for me. Let me know!

maryb