New To Sea Kayaking Workshop!

Gillian

Hello all! We're gearing up (no pun intended) for the New to Sea Kayaking Workshop this year at the Gould Barn. This event will be happening right before the Camping Workshop!

If you've ever had an interest in Sea Kayaking, or wondered what kind of boat to get, what kind of paddle, or what clothes to wear, come to this workshop!

We will have a number of boats to sit in and test out (on land though :), gear, safety tips, and the esstentials you'll need to get out on the ocean.

Al Coons will be leading our workshop again this year!

I've attached a few pics of the workshop last year...a good time was had by all! Don't miss it!

link to event on calendar (for directions & registering info):

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?&a...mp;event_id=591

post-100437-1206714393_thumb.jpg

post-100437-1206714413_thumb.jpg

post-100437-1206714539_thumb.jpg

post-100437-1206714566_thumb.jpg

post-100437-1206714587_thumb.jpg

Here is the flyer we are distributing around the area in efforts to find people interested in getting into sea kayaking (that don't know about us yet)... Feel free to email it to all of your friends! ;)

New2Yaking08.pdf

Here is the flyer we are distributing around the area in efforts to find people interested in getting into sea kayaking (that don't know about us yet)... Feel free to email it to all of your friends! ;)

The poster is great! I will post one Wed at REI Framingham.

-Jason

Oh that reminds me!

I have dropped off some at REI Reading already... no one needs to make the trip there...

Thanks Jason! ;)

If my memory hasn't escaped me, wasn't there talk of having a Gear Swap after this workshop? It looks like a good opportunity for potential new paddlers to not only meet people who might have been at it awhile, but to also move some of those self-multiplying spray skirts out of the gear bins.

Deb M :roll:;)

I think its a great idea... especially because there will be a shift of newer members coming for the beginner's workshop in the morning... and then a shift of more experienced members coming for the Camping workshop that afternoon! Lets make a day of it!! Sounds like the whole day will be a perfect opportunity to find lots of people interested in swapping things while talking about upcoming adventures over lunch!!!

:jig:

If my memory hasn't escaped me, wasn't there talk of having a Gear Swap after this workshop? It looks like a good opportunity for potential new paddlers to not only meet people who might have been at it awhile, but to also move some of those self-multiplying spray skirts out of the gear bins.

Deb M :roll:;)

Good call guys!!!! I will put a post up for the gear swap . . . I agree that's a great day to do it . . .

Hi everyone.

I hope each of you will try to get one new paddler to sign up for the workshop. As you can see, club members are already working hard at distributing flyers, but word-of-mouth has made the difference in the past. Who do you know that has been talking about kayaking and never quite got around to it? Encourage them to join us. Mention the workshop to your kayaking friends who are not active in the club. They probably have friends who might attend.

Of course it will never hurt if you can post a flyer at your local exercise club, work, side-window of your car, on your dogs tail when taking a walk,....

Al

Of course it will never hurt if you can post a flyer at your local exercise club, work, side-window of your car, on your dogs tail when taking a walk,....

Al

Al, I've been writing your name and number in public restrooms . . . has that generated any sign ups yet?????

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Al

Al, I've been writing your name and number in public restrooms . . . has that generated any sign ups yet?????

;)

Seems to be working Gillian. We are north of 15 participants at this point. Could you threaten to do the same to other club members who do not generate at least one more sign up this week?

Seriously. Thanks for everyone's help so far. Try mentioning it to additional friends and neighbors. I have been surprised who said "I have thinking about doing that. When is it?"

Hi All,

I am a new member and started sea kayaking last year. I am very interested in going to this out and was looking for a ride. So, if anybody is coming from the Salem, MA area and would like some company to and fro please let me know.

-Darrell

Hi All,

I am a new member and started sea kayaking last year. I am very interested in going to this out and was looking for a ride. So, if anybody is coming from the Salem, MA area and would like some company to and fro please let me know.

-Darrell

Darrell.

Please email me at kayakclass@verison.net. If you want, include your phone number(s). I will be emailing a reminder to all those who are signed-up in the next day or so. I will include your request for a ride.

Al Coons

Thanks Al,

As it so happens I might get a ride with a couple (newbies). I am waiting for confirmation.

I should be able to send and email either way later today.

-plus, just thought of another newbie person who might be interested in the workshop.

He's planning on taking lessons this summer. Lives at Collins Cove, sweet eh.