Advice regarding P & H Capella 163

Auday1

I have my eye on a new P & H Capella 163. Currently, I own a NDK Explorer which I absolutely love and don't intend to sell. However, the Explore tracks so well that I would like to find a boat that complements it. Specifically, I want a kayak that will be more maneuverable in tight places. For those of you familiar with both of these crafts, would I be well served by the Capella, if I'm looking for something that will be more "playful"? What's your advice?

Bryan Auday

If you are that happy with your Explorer, why not look at a NDK Romany or a Valley Pintail? Both are playful boats and are backed by a long history of success. I am waiting for my Romany HV to come in sometime in March. Currently paddle a Valley Nordkapp and Impex Assateague. I was also searching for something more lively and maneuverable for 2008. Hope that helps.

Doug

I have my eye on a new P & H Capella 163. Currently, I own a NDK Explorer which I absolutely love and don't intend to sell. However, the Explore tracks so well that I would like to find a boat that complements it. Specifically, I want a kayak that will be more maneuverable in tight places. For those of you familiar with both of these crafts, would I be well served by the Capella, if I'm looking for something that will be more "playful"? What's your advice?

Bryan Auday

Hi Bryan,

I am a bit partial to the 161 Capella and sold my Romany in order to buy it. The Capella is a bit more playful with less primary than the Romany. Very solid boat in the rough stuff. If you are comfortable with edging, I think you will enjoy how maneuverable either the 161 or 163 are.

Suz

Bryan Auday

Hi Brian;

I own these two boats. There is no question the Capella is more maneuverable. It feels, to me, like a sports car compared to the SUV Explorer. I do paddle the Explorer much more due to its stability compared to the Capella which helps while learning and in rougher conditions, but getting in the Capella allows me to take what I have learned in the Explorer and have a differnt experience.

The Capella is made better - no leaking hatches, hatch covers that come tethered, etc. etc.

Since you are looking at a new Capella, the cockpit I believe is now larger. That was one big difference for me. I have long legs and was not able to enter or wet exit the Capella without scraping my shins. Doing a cowboy re-entry is out of the question (for me. I'm sure some of the gumbies in the club would just ooze back into the cockpit in 3.5 seconds with no problem.)

I was considering selling my Capella until I took it out last year and realized how much different and fun it was. In surf I think it will be a blast. Still might sell it however, as I do love my Explorer even more.

Brian

Sounds to me like I better check out the Capella. Could I have jumped the gun with the Romany HV? Thanks for posting this topic. Gives me something to do over the next month or so. I'm a big guy. I wonder if I will fit my 6'1" 240 lb body in one.

Doug

I second the advice to get something at the other end of the scale from the Explorer. I also suggest you get something "with personality, edgy, or demanding" and actually low volume. To borrow a phrase, not only will a Pintail (and boats of similar nature) tell you where your paddling skills are or are not, they will improve them if you simply get out and paddle/play in them. In my limited experience, I have learned much more from "demanding" boats than I have from "forgiving" boats. Which is why I advocate getting something that is not simply a somewhat smaller and somewhat quicker boat. That said, there is an old climbing adage which contains much wisdom, "If you were born to walk in the valleys, stay there; don't mess around on the mountains." Just how far to the other end to go depends upon you personality and what you want from paddling.

Ed Lawson

I second the advice to get something at the other end of the scale from the Explorer. I also suggest you get something "with personality, edgy, or demanding" and actually low volume. To borrow a phrase, not only will a Pintail (and boats of similar nature) tell you where your paddling skills are or are not, they will improve them if you simply get out and paddle/play in them. In my limited experience, I have learned much more from "demanding" boats than I have from "forgiving" boats. Which is why I advocate getting something that is not simply a somewhat smaller and somewhat quicker boat. That said, there is an old climbing adage which contains much wisdom, "If you were born to walk in the valleys, stay there; don't mess around on the mountains." Just how far to the other end to go depends upon you personality and what you want from paddling.

Ed Lawson

For the most part, I agree with what you say Ed. However, when first starting out, some "challenges" get in the way of trying to learn. For instance, when I first tried the Capella (my first sea kayak) I was not in it more than five minutes before capsizing next to a bemused Alex Landrum. I soldiered on with the Capella for a few more months with more capsizes and feeling unsteady expecially near rocks, waves, and well, almost everything else. Then I tried an Explorer and realized the stability was a big help. With that I was able to concentrate on learning some skills instead of thinking "oh no, here we go again, wet exit". Now that I have built a good foundation of skills, the Capella is enjoyable for what it can do better than the Explorer such as maneuver, deep quick edges, etc.

I also realize what I say above is all highly dependant on the person.

Brian

However, when first starting out, some "challenges" get in the way of trying to learn.

I agree. There is a difference between pushing the limits and being over your head. Pushing limits tends to be good, being over your head tends to be bad.

Ed Lawson

Bryan Auday

Bryan,

I'd second the Pintail as a choice but also add the Avocet. Both great Valley boats, and ridiculously maneuverable. I use a three boat combination of the Explorer, Pintail and Avocet. You're welcome to try either boat at a pool session.

If you wanna take it up a notch, another boat to consider is the Anas Acuta. Hard chines and a lot of fun. Definitely a big contrast to the Explorer. Not really a good rock boat because those hard chines take a beating rather than slipping off the rocks like a round hulled boat does. Other than that, it is a very rewarding boat to paddle.

As to your question about the Capella. It is also a great boat and a lot of fun as well. It really is a matter of personal preference. Try em all.

Any of the above mentioned boats are more than worth trying out. I have a RomanyLV, which I love although the boat is slower in comparison to the Capellas and definitely the Avocet. My husband has an Avocet and he's found it to be faster, especially when compared to his Tempest and his Pintail, which is a great surf/rock boat (and one that I constantly covet). Try them all, preferbly on the water, and go for the one that fits your needs and you the best.

Deb M

Play!

My personal playboats include a Romany, Elaho DS, and a Nordkapp LV. You've got an Explorer for solid, reliable, and reassuring. I suggest trying something fun and maybe a bit demanding such as a Pintail or Nordlow.