Navigation Workshop - April 12th

cathyfoley

Kayaking Navigation Workshop

Date: April 12, 2008

Time: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Place: Gould Barn, Topsfield, MA

Instructor: Adam Bolonsky

Required Materials:

(1) Nav-Aid (you can order one through NSPN for this workshop in advance - you keep it - cost $7.00)

(2) Workshop Handouts ($3.00 - everyone must purchase this from NSPN for the workshop the day of the class)

(3) Hand-held or detachable deck compass with bezel ring

Cost: $10.00 if you need to buy a Nav-Aid

$3.00 if you already have a Nav-Aid

You must pre-register for this workshop by sending an e-mail to: cathy@nspn.org If you need a Nav-Aid, please say so when you sign up. Cathy will confirn your spot with a return e-mail.

If anyone needs info on where to buy NavAids, send me an email. Charles River Canoe and Kayak carries them, but their riverfront store is closed for the season.

(adambolonsky at yahoo dot com)

Chances are you'll have to buy them direct from Charles Sutherland. Or buy them through NSPN up to a week before the workshop.

As for compasses, Ritchie makes a good deck-mounted compass you can attach to your deck rigging. It has a course-minder outer bezel and costs around $70.

As for handheld-orienteering compasses, if you go out to buy one and end up considering a model that costs more than about $30, you're probably spending too much money. Key though is to be sure you buy one that has a rotating outer ring and, if not a mirror, then siting notches.

Handhelds are best for shooting bearings for triangulation.

If you buy a NavAid on your own, first thing to do is throw away the book that comes with it. The book's more confusing than untranslated Latin text read with a heavy foreign accent.

Kayaking Navigation Workshop

Date: April 12, 2008

Time: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Place: Gould Barn, Topsfield, MA

Instructor: Adam Bolonsky

Required Materials:

(1) Nav-Aid (you can order one through NSPN for this workshop in advance - you keep it - cost $7.00)

(2) Workshop Handouts ($3.00 - everyone must purchase this from NSPN for the workshop the day of the class)

(3) Hand-held or detachable deck compass with bezel ring

Cost: $10.00 if you need to buy a Nav-Aid

$3.00 if you already have a Nav-Aid

You must pre-register for this workshop by sending an e-mail to: cathy@nspn.org If you need a Nav-Aid, please say so when you sign up. Cathy will confirn your spot with a return e-mail.

Will we be able to share compasses at the workshop? My deck mounted compass is permanently affixed to my kayak. Actually, it was affixed by a prior owner and is slightly rotated to one side. I'd like to figure out how to straighten it out, but that is a topic for a separate posting.

Will we be able to share compasses at the workshop? My deck mounted compass is permanently affixed to my kayak. Actually, it was affixed by a prior owner and is slightly rotated to one side. I'd like to figure out how to straighten it out, but that is a topic for a separate posting.

If you do not have a simple orienteering/hiking style compass, you may find it useful to buy one and keep it on your PFD. Actually buy a small simple one for the PFD and a somewhat larger one for use at home plotting things out where most navigation work is done (?). No use to spend more than @$15 for either. Better to spend the money on a good set of dividers than a fancy compass as they are useful for working with charts.

With luck by loosening the faceplate you will be able to rotate the deck compass as needed to align it with the lubber line. I assume that is the issue.

Ed Lawson

Will we be able to share compasses at the workshop?

We can share compasses; in fact, the more compasses the better. That way we can pass them around and everyone gets to learn the quirks of the many compasses out there: their differing lubber lines, adjustment screws if any, bezels, face plate markings, etc.