Kayak Storage

Dear NSPN Members,

I am a beginning kayaker and do not yet have a boat. I am wanting to rent a kayak for the upcoming season. The glitch for me is that I live in a condo. in Beverly and do not have a safe place to store a kayak. I would like to find an rental accomodation for storage of the the kayak for the summer. Would anyone in the club be interested, or know of anyone that might be interested in storing the kayak for a fee?

Thanks!

Cathy T.

Dear NSPN Members,

I am a beginning kayaker and do not yet have a boat. I am wanting to rent a kayak for the upcoming season. The glitch for me is that I live in a condo. in Beverly and do not have a safe place to store a kayak. I would like to find an rental accomodation for storage of the the kayak for the summer. Would anyone in the club be interested, or know of anyone that might be interested in storing the kayak for a fee?

Thanks!

Cathy T.

Cathy,

Welcome to NSPN! I don't know of many options for you to store a kayak. One possibility may be Tuck Point. There are several kayaks/canoes kept there on a rack right on the beach. Unfortunately, I don't know the story behind their presence on the beach (they may belong to the yacht club or perhaps local residents). Another option is to just keep it on your car. We have a security cable system known as Tie Yak, very inexpensive, very easy to use and very effective. I am assuming that if you are going to rent the kayak for the season that you'll be using it often, so perhaps keeping it on the car may be an option. We leave our yaks on the car in downtown Salem using Tie Yak and (knock on wood) have never had a problem.

Another option that isn't cheap, but isn't all that unreasonable either, is a paddlers membership at the Dolphin Yacht Club in Marblehead Harbor. Your membership gets you clubhouse privileges and Kayak storage right on the dock for an additional fee.

http://www.dolphinyachtclub.com/MembershipDetails.htm

Hi Cathy,

Welcome.

When I first started kayaking, I lived in a high rise condo but could fit in the garage with the kayak on the roof. It was REALLY close and I could only put the boat on one way - other ways hit the roof or sprinklers on the way into my garage space. Life has a way of changing and now I have a house with a barn that is filled with kayaks!

My kayak lived on my roof from May through November then I would leave it at another house in Maine that I used to have. I did have a bike lock to lock the boat up if I was at a unsafe place but in general, I spent my time on the water. It made deciding to paddle really easy - you would always be ready to go.

I probably wouldn't recommend leaving the boat on the car if you have a plastic kayak - only do with fiberglass or other composites. Exposing the boat to that much sun can really cause damage to plastic boats. If you have the straps on too tight, it will cause warping or the hull could dent.

Really hard to find rental space to keep a boat. It may be different once you own a boat and know people who paddle. You may find someone who is willing to let you keep your boat at their house. You could always rent a storage unit but it does get pricey as one that can hold a sea kayak tends to be expensive.

Maybe you have a relative that would let you put your kayak behind the garage or under the deck or something. I think it would be difficult to leave it at a strangers house as you need to come and go at odd hours - would be kind of disruptive. Relatives don't usually mind that kind of behavior - besides that may end up being the only time you see them once you get addicted!

Suz

Check out Town of Beverly Park and Recreational services. Many of the public parks have ocean front property and may have a rack for residents to lock up their small boats for the season for fee. I live in Wayland and we have access to Lake Cochituate with that kind of arrangement.

I'm pretty sure Charles River Canoe and Kayak rents storage space.

You might also consider a folding boat.

I keep my boat in my parents garage or under my brother's porch in the winter and on the roof of my car all summer.

Try ERBA (Essex River Basin Adventures) in Essex. I believe Ozzie has stored kayaks for people in the past. While they won't open until spring, they might return a phone call now. The number is: 978-768-ERBA.

Our kayaks tend to live on the roof of the car during the season, although we have, although not enough, racks in the basement for the fleet. I'm not quite fond of this due to the effect of sun -- we're very, very bad about using any type of protectorant -- and the negative impact on gas mileage. We do try and get them off during the season, and, at least, let them rest upside down in the backyard.

Deb M