NSPN Workshops

cathyfoley

Just to let everyone know, NSPN will continue to offer special workshops this year. We are in the planning stage as of now, but will be announcing dates soon for the following"

:

Beginners Workshop

Kayak Camping

Weather

Please let's us know your ideas for others. If you have a particular area of expertise and want to volunteer, send me a message via the private message system. I'd love to have someone step forward to teach a Kayak navigation workshop.

Just to let everyone know, NSPN will continue to offer special workshops this year. We are in the planning stage as of now, but will be announcing dates soon for the following"

:

Beginners Workshop

Kayak Camping

Weather

Please let's us know your ideas for others. If you have a particular area of expertise and want to volunteer, send me a message via the private message system. I'd love to have someone step forward to teach a Kayak navigation workshop.

Let's have a yard sale - it has always been popular but best done in the spring time. No one wants to buy anything in the fall.

Suz

Let's have a yard sale - it has always been popular but best done in the spring time. No one wants to buy anything in the fall.

Suz

Suz and Cathy, what do you think about combining the yard sale with the Solstice Paddle? I'm trying to think of an event that draws the most people that we could combine the yard sale . . . .

Suz and Cathy, what do you think about combining the yard sale with the Solstice Paddle? I'm trying to think of an event that draws the most people that we could combine the yard sale . . . .

The Solstice paddle is a busy enough day on it's own. People need to bring all their personal gear for the day, a special dish for the evening and already enough to "get organized". Board members have to organize all the party supplies including things like grills. IMO, there is too much going on to include a yard sale event too.

I do think that it could easily be done in March/April at the same place as a workshop. Only need an hour or so to do this. Could combine it with kayak camping. If it is done at the barn, people could just put things on the various tables - sell for an hour and then either stay for the workshop or do other things.

In prior years, the most successful yard sale was done at New England Small Craft. That was when they had the back room for additional space. It was great because once you sold some of the stuff that doesn't work for you, you could go buy something new.

Suz

The Solstice paddle is a busy enough day on it's own. People need to bring all their personal gear for the day, a special dish for the evening and already enough to "get organized". Board members have to organize all the party supplies including things like grills. IMO, there is too much going on to include a yard sale event too.

I do think that it could easily be done in March/April at the same place as a workshop. Only need an hour or so to do this. Could combine it with kayak camping. If it is done at the barn, people could just put things on the various tables - sell for an hour and then either stay for the workshop or do other things.

In prior years, the most successful yard sale was done at New England Small Craft. That was when they had the back room for additional space. It was great because once you sold some of the stuff that doesn't work for you, you could go buy something new.

Suz

I like the idea of a "yard sale".....maybe on the lawn of the Gould Barn after the Beginner Workshop.....maybe some beginners could pick up some gear inexpensively to help them get started.

I agree with Cathy that the Beginners' Workshop would be a prime time for a Yard Sale. It's a perfect opportunity to get rid of those spray skirts that seem to multiply like rabbits in the basement. Would that boats would do so so effortlessly (and cheaply) ;).

Deb M

I like the idea of a "yard sale".....maybe on the lawn of the Gould Barn after the Beginner Workshop.....maybe some beginners could pick up some gear inexpensively to help them get started.

I second having the yard sale at the beginner's workshop. I would say it is better to dedicate indoor space for the "yard sale" as no one wants to stand outside with their wares if it is raining. Do it so each person selling things needs to hang around their stuff to sell them. This would also give newbies a chance to meet some of the seasoned paddlers as they are the ones usually selling their stuff.

Suz

okay sounds good to me too!!!!! we'll definitely plan on it for the beginners workshop and make sure to advertise it in advance so people come :)

Just a thought - how many of the "old timers" that have stuff to bring to the yard sale will come to the beginner's workshop? Last year's workshop was well attended (30?), but mostly with new people. Maybe we are looking to boost the number at the workshop...

Just a thought - how many of the "old timers" that have stuff to bring to the yard sale will come to the beginner's workshop? Last year's workshop was well attended (30?), but mostly with new people. Maybe we are looking to boost the number at the workshop...

I think people who have something they want to sell will come. I would suggest that the Newbie workshop takes place and then the yard sale contingent arrives at the time when the workshop is finishing up. Just think a captive audience to buy the gloves that don't fit or the rash guard that is too big or the extra PFD or two... I think it is a win/win. Let's the newbies get started on the cheap and let's the old timers move some stuff on to someone else.

Just tweak the timing to allow for a quick paddle in the morning for the yard sale people. Wouldn't do it so that the yard sale people would have to miss an entire day on the water.

Suz

The "yard sales" in the past have always had a fairly good turn-out. It will go well with the Beginner Workshop as a follow-on event after the workshop.

I think people who have something they want to sell will come. I would suggest that the Newbie workshop takes place and then the yard sale contingent arrives at the time when the workshop is finishing up. Just think a captive audience to buy the gloves that don't fit or the rash guard that is too big or the extra PFD or two... I think it is a win/win. Let's the newbies get started on the cheap and let's the old timers move some stuff on to someone else.

Just tweak the timing to allow for a quick paddle in the morning for the yard sale people. Wouldn't do it so that the yard sale people would have to miss an entire day on the water.

Suz

Agreed. Good ideas Suz and Cathy. I have already found some things to bring to the sale...

I have a couple of requests for workshops.

-Navitgation (pretty much all aspects)

-Day trip planning (tides, conditions, etc.)

-Paddling in Current

-Kits that you always take with you (what is in boat repair, first aid, etc.)

I have learned a lot from just being out with more experienced people but some more thourough and formal information would be great! I missed the beginners session last year but I am assuming basics were covered in that but not specifics.

Thanks!

Shaila

There has been posting suggesting the Trip Leader Training might be morphed into a workshop/training designed to enable people to be "active" members of a paddling group and to be presented with the info useful/needed to plan their own trips. Learning by observation of others is useful so long as you maintain a critical viewpoint and adapt as appropriate for your needs.

As I tend to say to Gail at what I consider appropriate times and she often thinks are inopportune moments, you learn to paddle by experiencing>absorbing>understanding the sight, sound, and smell of sea, air, and land in all their wonderous states. That said, in the winter reading things can be beneficial, especially topics that have an abstract component such as navigation. So I suggest the following books as useful fireside reading which might prove helpful to prepare for workshops and paddling.

Kayaking Illustrated by John Robison. This is a slim book filled with whimsical drawings and at first glance it seems superficial. Not so. There is more solid, useful information about more aspects of sea kayaking presented in an informative way than many of the larger, more "serious" tomes.

Sea Kayak Navigation by Franco Ferrero and Simple Kayak Navigation by Ray Killen. If you absorb the meat of these books by running through the procedures they discuss using local charts and tables for trips you might like to do I rather suspect your navigational skills will be adequate for most anything in terms of trips in NE.

Seakayaking Safety & Rescue by John Lull. Value in reading is not so much for the techniques shown, but the philosophy presented of what makes for a safe paddler and a safe group.

Just my $.02 while adding wood to the fire.

Ed Lawson

There has been posting suggesting the Trip Leader Training might be morphed into a workshop/training designed to enable people to be "active" members of a paddling group and to be presented with the info useful/needed to plan their own trips. Learning by observation of others is useful so long as you maintain a critical viewpoint and adapt as appropriate for your needs.

As I tend to say to Gail at what I consider appropriate times and she often thinks are inopportune moments, you learn to paddle by experiencing>absorbing>understanding the sight, sound, and smell of sea, air, and land in all their wonderous states. That said, in the winter reading things can be beneficial, especially topics that have an abstract component such as navigation. So I suggest the following books as useful fireside reading which might prove helpful to prepare for workshops and paddling.

Kayaking Illustrated by John Robison. This is a slim book filled with whimsical drawings and at first glance it seems superficial. Not so. There is more solid, useful information about more aspects of sea kayaking presented in an informative way than many of the larger, more "serious" tomes.

Sea Kayak Navigation by Franco Ferrero and Simple Kayak Navigation by Ray Killen. If you absorb the meat of these books by running through the procedures they discuss using local charts and tables for trips you might like to do I rather suspect your navigational skills will be adequate for most anything in terms of trips in NE.

Seakayaking Safety & Rescue by John Lull. Value in reading is not so much for the techniques shown, but the philosophy presented of what makes for a safe paddler and a safe group.

Just my $.02 while adding wood to the fire.

Ed Lawson

Ed:

Check out my blog on this site.....you may have interest in the book I did a basic review of. It's really a great book and just out on the market in the last few months. All the book info is on the blog

-Navitgation (pretty much all aspects)

-Day trip planning (tides, conditions, etc.)

-Paddling in Current

-Kits that you always take with you (what is in boat repair, first aid, etc.)

I have learned a lot from just being out with more experienced people but some more thourough and formal information would be great! I missed the beginners session last year but I am assuming basics were covered in that but not specifics.

Thanks!

Shaila

Shaila:

I am working on coordinating a Navigation workshop that will include both classroom and on-water sessions.

The kits would likely being covered in the kayak camping workshop.

I don't know if we'll have a specific paddling in current workshop, but I will look for a qualified volunteer to step forward and run one. I'll keep you posted.

Check out my blog on this site.....you may have interest in the book I did a basic review of. It's really a great book and just out on the market in the last few months.

I will check it out. Looks as if it would be good fit with the others. The Robison book does not get into technical aspects of strokes, etc. all that much which is to be expected given its objectives.

Ed Lawson

I have learned a lot from just being out with more experienced people but some more thourough and formal information would be great!

Thanks!

Shaila

Don't forget that NSPN (as well as many local outfitters) will be offering professional instruction from some of the best paddlers/coaches from around the world. For me, there is nothing better than the opportunity to get a diversified education.