Water storage for multi-day trips

gyork

Wondering what people use. I've used ?3qt clear plastic, cylindrical Poland Spring containers in the past, but I like the looks (not the price ~$38) of the 10L MSR dromedary bag. What say y'all?

Gary

The MSR dromedaries are bit pricey, but I like the way they conform to

the compartment space they're stuffed into, unlike a lot of plastic containers.

If you can get past the price, they're hard to beat.

Wondering what people use. I've used ?3qt clear plastic, cylindrical Poland Spring containers in the past, but I like the looks (not the price ~$38) of the 10L MSR dromedary bag. What say y'all?

Personally I'd go with MSR, but you might check out these Platypus Water Tanks at Campmor. they would also collapse and conform which are important traits. No personal experience with them, but my experience with the MSR bags has been good. Their flexibility and solid construction are big points with me. On the other hand, if you can pack and maintain trim during trip then anything will work OK.

Ed Lawson

All hands raised for the MSR Dromedary bags. I prefer the smaller ones and not the 10 L bag. My preference is many small bags. That way if one develops a leak you don't lose your whole water supply. I also use the Platypus bags. Most of my water goes inside my cockpit - behind the seat, under my legs, beyond my feet and not in my DRY hatches, just in case I develop a leak in a bag.

Suz

Most of my water goes inside my cockpit - behind the seat, under my legs, beyond my feet and not in my DRY hatches, just in case I develop a leak in a bag.

Suz

Having stuff loose in front of the seat makes me nervous, but there is a great deal of space there to use. Do you use a stuff sack or something in front of footpegs or other technique to keep things in place?

Ed Lawson

Dromedaries for me - front and rear hatches, as close to the cockpit as I can pack them.

Related question - how many liters per day do y'all use for a trip? I had guessed 5, but found that I consumed more like 6 liters per day. Part of that was my diet - oatmeal at breakfast, etc.

BUT, I know others who consume 4. I like to err on the side of extra hydration, even if I have to get up in the middle of the night from my tent.

Most of my water goes inside my cockpit - behind the seat, under my legs, beyond my feet and not in my DRY hatches, just in case I develop a leak in a bag.

Suz

On an expedition where use of storage space is imortant , the most potential lost or gained space is in the cockpit.

If you wanna get really slick, you can attach d-rings to the floor of the cockpit and strap down water bags right along the keel line.

http://nrsweb.resultspage.com/display.php?...amp;w=D%2Drings

Having stuff loose in front of the seat makes me nervous, but there is a great deal of space there to use. Do you use a stuff sack or something in front of footpegs or other technique to keep things in place?

Ed Lawson

The ones I stuff behind the seat are pretty secure. The MSR Dromedary that I use at the end of the seat is the larger one - it is right under my upper leg and I find it very comfortable there. I have also stuffed past the pegs and literally just lie them down in there. I also have a really great little square collapsible cooler that fits there that I have brought frozen meat in and that keeps cold for a long time if it isn't opened and closed.

I have never had them get in the way but understand your concern. I figure if the worst happened and I came out of my boat and lost my water, I would be in way more trouble than losing the water. Generally I am within a day of a water source and with the water on my back would survive til I got there.

If a camper doesn't have a roll, I probably would recommend another way to carry your water. I am just not a fan of carrying it in my hatches except in a nalgene that is sure not to leak, spill or sweat.

Suz

I like Platypus collapsible 'bottles'. I have a number of 2-3 litre ones. For a day paddle, I usually carry at least two litres in addition to what I have on my back.

I tend to figure at least 2 litres of water per person per day. I store my additional water behind the seat and/or in main compartments. I don't like having things shifting around. I really don't want anything loose in the cockpit.

I find Campmor a good source:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...gId=40000000226