Dry Suit Maintenance

Roger Turgeon

Not long ago, someone posted a description of his/her method for cleaning and conditioning a dry suit. I can't seem to locate that posting. Can someone please point the way for me. My drysuit is overdue.

Thanks.

Roger Turgeon

Night Heron, cedar-strip

Not long ago, someone posted a description of his/her method for cleaning and conditioning a dry suit. I can't seem to locate that posting. Can someone please point the way for me. My drysuit is overdue.

Thanks.

Roger Turgeon

Night Heron, cedar-strip

Try this:

http://www.kokatat.com/documents/DrySuitStorage.pdf

There's not much to it. Rinse it inside and out, then apply some 303 to the seals. If the suit is dirty, you can wash it, but don't put it in a dryer.

Is it a problem to use a standard home wash machine or should it be washed in a front loader only?

Is it a problem to use a standard home wash machine or should it be washed in a front loader only?

Use a front loader only. Nothing with an agitator. If you don't own one, you can use one at the laundromat.

Never use a dryer. My method of drying is to hang after washing, allow the water to drain off the outside and into the socks on the inside. Empty the feet out and turn inside out to dry the inside. Once dry, turn right side out and dry the outside. Really important to dry out the socks so that mold doesn't grow.

303 the latex seals every four to 6 weeks - YEAR ROUND, not just in the winter. Don't store near combustion sources such as a furnace.

If you need to revive the durable water repellency (DWR) use a warm iron over the fabric. Don't go too hot and don't iron the zips or seals. This will restore it to like new condition and the water will bead up again like new.

Suz

We have managed to "neglect" our latex seals without incident, treating them once or twice during the season they are used and once again for storage. The material really changes its ductility when treated so you can definitely tell when you've waited too long. Better safe than sorry.

...DWR...

Reviving the DWR doesn't effect the ability of the suit to keep you dry, but you won't be subject to as much evaporative cooling because the exterior of the suit doesn't get/stay wet.

FWIW, I've found that trying to renew the "DWR" is a waste of time, effort and money. IMO, "Durable" Water Repellent is a misnomer, as these coatings are anything but durable. The renewal products seem to last all of five minutes, once you get the garment on the water and they fail immediately anywhere the fabric is creased or rubbed. I tried three different ones and the result was the same, so I gave up on them.

303 the latex seals every four to 6 weeks - YEAR ROUND, not just in the winter. Don't store near combustion sources such as a furnace.

Suz

Hi Suz.

You scared the crap out of Brian at the CWW with this comment. Ha! Latex is oxidized in air, so a treated item should preserve well if stored covered in a drawer or sealed tub.

A good example is with those box-packs of 100 cheap latex surgical gloves. If unopened they last for years untreated. Once opened, the top one or two need to be used soon or will dry out, requiring digging down to get a pliable one. I see this continually in my little garage....

So Brian, just 303 thoroughly the seals BEFORE you store your suit in a closed bureau drawer and it'll be ok. Once in use and left lying about do treat the seals monthly, and NEVER leave out in the sun. I'm not sure if uv synergizes oxidation of latex, but I wouldn't take a chance.

I seem to have successfully Aquasealed my SuperNova. Messy work. We'll see....

Congrats on the Barn!

Ern

Suz

Hi Suz.

You scared the crap out of Brian at the CWW with this comment. Ha! Latex is oxidized in air, so a treated item should preserve well if stored covered in a drawer or sealed tub.

A good example is with those box-packs of 100 cheap latex surgical gloves. If unopened they last for years untreated. Once opened, the top one or two need to be used soon or will dry out, requiring digging down to get a pliable one. I see this continually in my little garage....

So Brian, just 303 thoroughly the seals BEFORE you store your suit in a closed bureau drawer and it'll be ok. Once in use and left lying about do treat the seals monthly, and NEVER leave out in the sun. I'm not sure if uv synergizes oxidation of latex, but I wouldn't take a chance.

I seem to have successfully Aquasealed my SuperNova. Messy work. We'll see....

Congrats on the Barn!

Ern

That's a good thought Ernie. I must admit that I don't 303 every 4-6 weeks but know I should! I definitely don't store them without air circulation though and have to store in the basement near a furnace. In this house, there are no other options.

Suz

Suz

Hi Suz.

You scared the crap out of Brian at the CWW with this comment. Ha! Ern

Geez, Ern, it's bad enough that you made me sound completely helpless with the vertigo also! :)

Having used my drysuit just a couple times since I bought it about 10 months ago, I was concerned about the seals. While they had some indication of oxidation, I put the 303 on at the workshop and they worked fine. I bet most are not doing the 303 every 6 weeks. (Sure, and we all wax our boats, also.) Suz explained how to trim the neck gasket by actually trimming mine. What a difference! Thanks, Suz. I really had no problem wearing it, almost enjoyed it. And now with my "new" drysuit and ear plugs, I'm good to go.

Brian