4* congratulations!

mesbennett

Congratulations are due to Deb for gleefully passing her 4* assessment last Wednesday on the warm waters of Tybee Island!!!!

For myself, on Thursday, I was able to perform a stunning example of a beach landing, guaranteed to produce an assessment of "FAILED"!

:headBang: (you are allowed to insert here all the four letter words you can possible imagine I used when finally upright on the beach!)

lol as I write this today and looking forward to getting back on (in?)COLD water!!!!

maryb

Force 3 ivory/white

Mystic yellow/white

Deb also won "Hot Babe" at the Halloween party for her portrayal of a 1960s groupie!

I'm so proud of both accomplishments!

Bob (aka the husband and "Andy Warhol") :D

Congratulations to Deb!

Consolation to Mary. This may have been the last assessments under the old system. Next year will be the new system with 2 day 4* assessment...

Congrats Deb! Smart one to take it where the water is "warm".

And Wilson, it was my understanding that the coming BCU changes wouldn't be implemented in the US of A for the next several years. Has this thinking changed?

Phil

And Wilson, it was my understanding that the coming BCU changes wouldn't be implemented in the US of A for the next several years. Has this thinking changed?

Phil

Deb,

Congratulations we knew that you were very read for your 4*. As some had thought you were holding out for the warm water.

Mary,

Sorry things didn't go as planned, just think of it as another day of training.

Phil

Thanks for the kudos and thanks to Mary for posting. She motored right along in some fairly lumpy bumpy stuff and kept herself going in and through a few good-sized wave faces.

However, I wasn't the only one who's come back with a little something, besides a severe case of chapped lips from windburn. Both Paula R and David Lewis also received their Coach 2 Award, along with Greg Paquin.

And, while I don't want to start a "those who drink the BCU Kool-Aid" vs "those who think the Kool-Aid is laced with Brit rat poison" feud, some clarification is a bit in order regarding the BCU in North America in 2008.

The changes to the BCU were implemented in the UK as of September 1. They will be implemented here in North America January 1, 2008. However, these changes are not only to the Star Awards, but to everything and everyone: paddlers, coaches, and assessors. After sitting through 4 8 AM sessions with the BCU rep talking at length, my and Bob's impression is that this is going to be lengthy process which involves not only paddlers (who have it comparitively easy) but coaches, who will have to make the biggest changes not only to their coaching programs but to how they assess candidates. While 4* has been ramped up a bit in terms of leadership qualifications and will be held on 2 days, as the trainings are now, the whole coach/assessor scheme is basically being overhauled. This may result -- or this is my understanding of it whilst listening and trying to drink my morning coffee -- in some confusion as to whom can assess whom and whether new training and/or sign offs are needed before a coach, especially at the L3 and L4 level, can make you do the dancing monkey routine whether in flat water (3*) or bumpy seas (4*) :headBang:

How long this will take -- and this applies in some degree to the role of the BCU not only in the UK but worldwide -- is fairly vague. There are geographical implications involved also and a number of coaches, both those working here and those visiting from the UK, weren't exactly overjoyed by the changes.

If you want more info, go directly to the BCU North America Site at www.bcuna.org. This might clarify things although, quite frankly, I'm still somewhat confused as to how the whole new scheme is going to work, especially here in the US. :jawdrop: Perhaps reading will cause the light to shine over this Marblehead.

Should anyone decide to go the BCU Star Award route, my words of wisdom are basically, that you practice your strokes for 3*, get your 3* before moving on to 4*, and then paddle in as much wind and lumpy, bumpy, surfy, rock-ridden water as you can. No amount of formal training will prepare you for the assessment unless you put your own time in conditions. Both Mary and I, although on separate days except for the 2 training days we did together, paddled in some fairly gnarly stuff either above the remit (the trainings) or at the top of it, meaning 3-5' wave, 3' surf, and Force4+ wind. I know I learned a lot in the trainings alone and I think it helped me pass. However, even if I hadn't assessed successfully -- and, btw, it's not a test, it's a guide to what you're doing well or might need work on -- I gained a great deal in working with Nigel Dennis and Jeff Allen and this was well worth the price of admission.

So, whether you go the BCU or the ACA or your own way, it's ultimately about paddling and that's all that matters. Some of us choose the BCU because we like structured training and enjoy gaining some satisfaction in getting a little badge and a certificate to stuff in our desk drawers. However, the most important part of all is the paddling and that you do that paddling safely while having fun with your peers or friends. In the end, that -- and not how many badges you have -- is what gets you home.

Deb M :roll:

Just got back from Pittsburg and read the news! (Geez- are they ever Steelers crazy!!! Banners across highways and everything! Am I just desensitized to Pats stuff at home?!)

Congrats Deb, Paula, David and Greg! Mary, congrats on taking on the challenge! Passing the assesment wont elude you for long!

:woohoo:

Phil

Friends who were on a 3* Star assessment with Bill Lonzano a couple of weeks ago noted that Bill mentioned that it would be the last 3* assessment he would be doing under the old system.

During my 4* training at Downeast in September, at least one of the coaches referred to the new scheme as being in effect next year.

The BCUNA site states: "The new Star Awards themselves will officially go live in North America on January 1, 2008."

- http://www.bcuna.com/pages/Main-Pages/Updates.shtml

All that being said, word from the UK that is filtering back over here indicates some difficulties which are not unrelated to some of the difficulties envisioned here. I wouldn't be wholly surprised if some of the concerns/difficulties result in the delay of introduction of the new scheme here.

If the new scheme is introduced here as articulated on the BCU website and as conveyed at SKG, the ACA may see a rapid increase in courses be offered and engagement with its articulated system of open water training and assessment...