Gelcoat repair

MPARSONS

Does anyone know someone in the area who does professional gelcoat repair? I had a mishap over the weekend that needs to be patched. Since I don't have the tools or experience or workspace to do it myself, I must find someone who could do it for me. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know someone in the area who does professional gelcoat repair? I had a mishap over the weekend that needs to be patched. Since I don't have the tools or experience or workspace to do it myself, I must find someone who could do it for me. Any thoughts?

if it's JUST gelcoat then you really don't need much experience/tools...sand around the area and then mix the gelcoat to color and add the hardener and paint it on...sand it down. pretty simple.

still reluctant, give brad a call at new england small craft

Marc, I see you have a new boat! Come on up and join us for a paddle so we can see the new Shadow. I assume it the mishap is with that boat since the last time I looked, there is little gelcoat on a fold-up kayak...

Brian

If you want to try it yourself, it's easy and you don't need a lot of supplies/tools. I have a Webshots album with photos and captions that will guide you through the process. It's their #1 kayaking-related album with over 170,000 views. I guess there's a lot of gelcoat being left on rocks these days! ;)

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

Marc, I see you have a new boat! Come on up and join us for a paddle so we can see the new Shadow. I assume it the mishap is with that boat since the last time I looked, there is little gelcoat on a fold-up kayak...

Brian

Yes, I've had the new Shadow for three weeks and, in trying a new approach to taking it off of my roof rack, failed miserably. As soon as I get it patched, I'll be back on the water!

If you want to try it yourself, it's easy and you don't need a lot of supplies/tools. I have a Webshots album with photos and captions that will guide you through the process. It's their #1 kayaking-related album with over 170,000 views. I guess there's a lot of gelcoat being left on rocks these days! ;)

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

Thanks for the guidance. I'd like to try it myself, but since I don't even have room to store the boat, I have no place to work on it. I'd have to do all the work on a sidewalk in South Boston, which I just can't see myself doing. If I left the boat for anytime to allow the gelcoat to harden, I'm pretty sure I'd come back to find someone's name carved in it.

I won't be living in the city forever, though, and will almost certainly have more mishaps -- I mean, opportunities.

Thanks for the guidance. I'd like to try it myself, but since I don't even have room to store the boat, I have no place to work on it. I'd have to do all the work on a sidewalk in South Boston, which I just can't see myself doing. If I left the boat for anytime to allow the gelcoat to harden, I'm pretty sure I'd come back to find someone's name carved in it.

I won't be living in the city forever, though, and will almost certainly have more mishaps -- I mean, opportunities.

Hi Marc,

If it really is just a gel coat repair and no fiberglassing required, it is really easy to do and you actually don't need indoor space unless it is a really big area that needs repair.

Back when I lived in a high rise, I kept the boat on the car as I didn't have storage either. When I had minor gel coat repairs to do, I would go to the park on a warm day (I think the gel coat needs warmer than 50, not sure though). Have everything you need with you and you are done in a jiffy.

If you are lucky, you may be able to do the work and leave it on the car. If not, get a couple of plastic saw horses and some foam blocks and do the work on that. If it can be left on the car while working, that really makes it easy as you can simply do the work and then go about your errands.

If the repair is more involved, surely there are some kayakers who live nearby that would offer you a place to work.

I am on the N. Shore so too far for you but if you need a back yard to work in, you can use mine.

Suz

Hi Marc,

If it really is just a gel coat repair and no fiberglassing required, it is really easy to do and you actually don't need indoor space unless it is a really big area that needs repair.

Back when I lived in a high rise, I kept the boat on the car as I didn't have storage either. When I had minor gel coat repairs to do, I would go to the park on a warm day (I think the gel coat needs warmer than 50, not sure though). Have everything you need with you and you are done in a jiffy.

If you are lucky, you may be able to do the work and leave it on the car. If not, get a couple of plastic saw horses and some foam blocks and do the work on that. If it can be left on the car while working, that really makes it easy as you can simply do the work and then go about your errands.

If the repair is more involved, surely there are some kayakers who live nearby that would offer you a place to work.

I am on the N. Shore so too far for you but if you need a back yard to work in, you can use mine.

Suz

Thanks for the offer. Carl Ladd from Osprey returned my call and I'll be bringing it to him on Saturday. I'm starting to look at this as a blessing in disguise since it will keep me away from my boat for a weekend, so I can get some other errands done!

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone runs into a similar problem, Carl Ladd at Osprey Sea Kayaks patched this for me and did an incredible job. I don't know how he was able to match the gel coat so perfectly, but the patch is virtually invisible. Moreover, it cost me less than the cost of the orbital sander I would have needed to buy if I had tried to do it myself.

Now if I could only get him to take my boat off of my car for me each time I need it then my problems will be completely solved!