New 4*s

Deb Millar

Yaaaayyyy! ... great job guys... congrats!

Congrats to Walter Mears and Jason Kates who passed their BCU 4* Assessment today up in Maine with John Carmody.

We knew you'd do just fine!!!

Deb M/Bob C :hug::cheer:

Thanks for all of the nice posts.

The 4* with John was a lot of fun. John sure kept us on our toes during the assessment.

The best was when he played the distressed victim who attempted to capsize any boat that was near, pulling people and gear, climbing up then standing on the boats. In the end he swam off at break neck pace as we waited for him to tire (following but keeping our distance).

It was a great day, I wish that I could have stayed in ME another day (OK another week would have been better). John is a great coach and I look forward to my next class with him.

-Jason

Congrats to Walter Mears and Jason Kates who passed their BCU 4* Assessment today up in Maine with John Carmody.

We knew you'd do just fine!!!

Deb M/Bob C :hug::cheer:

Many many congratulations!!!

John is a great coach... and a keen assessor.

Thanks for all of the nice posts.

The 4* with John was a lot of fun. John sure kept us on our toes during the assessment........ In the end he swam off at break neck pace as we waited for him to tire (following but keeping our distance).

-Jason

And exactly how long did that take? B)

Congrats guys!

Phil

The best was when he played the distressed victim who attempted to capsize any boat that was near, pulling people and gear, climbing up then standing on the boats. In the end he swam off at break neck pace as we waited for him to tire (following but keeping our distance).

Congratulations guys! Well done! Also I'm cracking up Jason, at your description of distressed paddler played by John :) I have a complete mental image of it and it's absolutely hysterical especially the swimming off part :)

Congratulations, guys!!! Well done.

Now, gulp...I'm 4* assessing next week with Peter Casson (providing the wind gods cooperate - I need to sacrifice a chicken for wind).

Better sacrifice beans for wind...

Congrats, Jason and Walter!

Jason, your description of the panicked swimmer reminds me of a real-life event on the Cheat River in WV some years back. A kayaker had gotten stuck in a hydraulic, came out of his boat, and was being recirculated in the small but violent hole. Every now and again his head would surface in the foam pile and one of the kayakers would try to reach him with a bow before he disappeared again. Finally he came up next to the kayaker and was so panicked that he tried to climb up onto the boat, threatening both their safety. The kayaker had to hit his hands with the paddle to make him let go. Down he went again, recirculated, and when he came up again he flushed out on his own, possibly because he had relaxed (given up) and gone with the flow of water.

So these things do really happen.

But I hope you never need to use the training!

Kate

Better sacrifice beans for wind...

Congrats, Jason and Walter!

Jason, your description of the panicked swimmer reminds me of a real-life event on the Cheat River in WV some years back. A kayaker had gotten stuck in a hydraulic, came out of his boat, and was being recirculated in the small but violent hole. Every now and again his head would surface in the foam pile and one of the kayakers would try to reach him with a bow before he disappeared again. Finally he came up next to the kayaker and was so panicked that he tried to climb up onto the boat, threatening both their safety. The kayaker had to hit his hands with the paddle to make him let go. Down he went again, recirculated, and when he came up again he flushed out on his own, possibly because he had relaxed (given up) and gone with the flow of water.

So these things do really happen.

But I hope you never need to use the training!

Kate

I am glad I wasn't stuck in the recirculating hydraulic, it might make me stay on dry land.

I got off easy during the scoop rescues, everybody else had to do scoop rescues of me. I guess John thought that he would be too easy of a victim thus he had me be the victim. This is the 2nd weekend in a row that we scared a lobster man. I was acting as the passed out victim as they were working at stuffing me into my boat the lobster man drove his boat over to see if we needed assistance. It's nice to know that in ME people will attempt to help you if you get in trouble.

-Jason

I am glad I wasn't stuck in the recirculating hydraulic, it might make me stay on dry land.

-Jason

He never got in a kayak again. We had a hard time convincing him that he had to paddle to the end of the river. He wanted to hike out but the Cheat is in a deep wild valley with only a single road coming down the mountain at the take-out. Totally unhikeable. We had to shepherd him out, rapid by rapid, to the end. That was it for him. Last I heard he spent his free time making jewelry. Who can blame him?

K