New Marine Forecast Zones

EEL

I have not checked for the Mass Shore area, but as of today the marine forecasts for the coast of Maine will be broken down into five zones as opposed to just two. This should result in much more useful information concerning conditions in smaller areas. For example, there will now be a specific marine forecasts for Casco Bay and PENOBSCOT BAY and the southern most forecast now goes from Cape Elizabeth to the Merrimack River as opposed to from Stonington to Merrimack River.

Details at: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/gyx/new_marine_zones_2007.htm

Ed Lawson

I have not checked for the Mass Shore area, but as of today the marine forecasts for the coast of Maine will be broken down into five zones as opposed to just two. This should result in much more useful information concerning conditions in smaller areas. For example, there will now be a specific marine forecasts for Casco Bay and PENOBSCOT BAY and the southern most forecast now goes from Cape Elizabeth to the Merrimack River as opposed to from Stonington to Merrimack River.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Thanks for the heads up. I don't see any changes to the MA area, but that isn't too surprising. It definately shuld be a help for NH / ME paddling.

Unfortunately, the NWS has retained the old, large zone name, ANZ150, formerly Stonington to the Merrimack, and reused it for one of the new, smaller regions, namely Stonington to Port Clyde.

Perhaps as a result, Weather Underground (at least; haven't checked others) is now reporting the ANZ150 forecast for Portland, even though Portland is now in ANZ152. Or is it ANZ153, which seems to be for Casco Bay itself, rather than the offshore region out to 25 miles?

--David.

Unfortunately, the NWS has retained the old, large zone name, ANZ150, formerly Stonington to the Merrimack, and reused it for one of the new, smaller regions, namely Stonington to Port Clyde.

Perhaps as a result, Weather Underground (at least; haven't checked others) is now reporting the ANZ150 forecast for Portland, even though Portland is now in ANZ152. Or is it ANZ153, which seems to be for Casco Bay itself, rather than the offshore region out to 25 miles?

--David.

Correct regarding ANZ150 and I assume Weather Underground will get this changed, but until then you will need to look it up on the NOAA Gray, ME site or listen to the radio.

ANZ153 is Portland as it encompasses an area defined by the shore and a line from Popham to Cape Elizabeth. ANZ152 is defined as the area from Port Clyde to Cape Elizabeth except the Casco Bay zone. There is also supposedly a MDI zone too. Hmmm. this could be confusing. Will be interesting how it goes on the radio and which NOAA stations broadcast which forecasts.

Ed Lawson

Hmmm. this could be confusing. Will be interesting how it goes on the radio and which NOAA stations broadcast which forecasts.

Yeah... at least it will increase the length of each cycle of weather reports, so we'll have to listen longer to hear the one we want. That'll be fine when they differ considerably, especially when there are severe but relatively localized conditions like T-storms. But most of the time the different zones will be vary only a little, so we'll hear a lot of apparent redundancy.

Ed Lawson

and its about time

The text of the forecast hasn't changed, but the graphical interface at:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/

has indicator lines that suggest they may do the same thing down here. There's separate boxes for Boston Harbor, Cape Cod bay, Vineyard Sound, Buzzards Bay as well as the nearshore -25nm from Merimack to Plymouth. At this point they all point to the ANZ230 forcast.

Phil