Joppa Flats or Water Street ramp

JBLT4

Hi All, Had a great paddle on the Parker River this past saturday although the put in was a bit hairy!

I am planning on doing the Joppa Flats out of the Newburyport area this saturday or sunday. Planning to launch on low tide and ride the high tide back in (saturday @ 1:30 PM put in to 5:30 PM pull out, or, sunday @ 2:30 PM put in to 6:30 PM pull out).

After the bit of climbing and lowering the kayaks by rope to the Parker River at the Middle Road launch, I hope to avoid any mountaineering with this trip.

The Water Street Ramp appears to be usable and with plenty of parking by the C of C. Joppa Flat Ramps is reported to be quite muddy during low tide.

Can any one offer any information about the best place to launch as this area is new to me. I have looked at the currents, I have looked at the charts. But any personal experience of this area would be greatly appriciated!

J "Kayaking Mountaineer" D

Hi All, Had a great paddle on the Parker River this past saturday although the put in was a bit hairy!

I am planning on doing the Joppa Flats out of the Newburyport area this saturday or sunday. Planning to launch on low tide and ride the high tide back in (saturday @ 1:30 PM put in to 5:30 PM pull out, or, sunday @ 2:30 PM put in to 6:30 PM pull out).

After the bit of climbing and lowering the kayaks by rope to the Parker River at the Middle Road launch, I hope to avoid any mountaineering with this trip.

The Water Street Ramp appears to be usable and with plenty of parking by the C of C. Joppa Flat Ramps is reported to be quite muddy during low tide.

Can any one offer any information about the best place to launch as this area is new to me. I have looked at the currents, I have looked at the charts. But any personal experience of this area would be greatly appriciated!

J "Kayaking Mountaineer" D

There are several places to put in depending on where you want to paddle:

Rock's Village Bridge (Upper Merrimack)

Spring Lane* (Chain Bridge and vicinity)

Cashman Park* (Downtown Newburyport)

Black Cow* (Downtown Newburyport)

Joppa Flats (access to PNWR)--indeed a muddy mess at low tide

Parking lot #1 (First right once in the PNWR)

North Point* (Northern tip of Plum Island)

The Merrimack has current, lots of it so overall comfort with that is a must. The asterisks next to some put ins means a great deal of potential current as soon as the boat hits the water.

"Quite muddy" at dead low is quite the understatement- hundred-yard mud slog would be a better description... Couple of hours after ought to be fine, and if there's no parking left at the ramp itself, you can unload there and park on an adjacent street.