Anyone have experience with a Nordkapp?

ChrisM

I've been offered a '95 Nordkapp as a possible trade for my Pintail. I have never paddled one and really don't know much about them, except that it is an expedition boat meant to be paddled long distances with a lot of gear.

How does it paddle as compared to an Explorer or an Aquanaut? Does it paddle OK empty, or does it need to be loaded down with gear (I weigh 185)?

I'm looking for a kayak that I can do some longer distance paddles with, while still being able to play in the rocks and surf.

The basic reason for boats such as the Explorer and Aquanaut is that the Nordkapp is not well behaved unladen and is a demanding boat to paddle.

I'm 6', 175 lbs and find that paddling an unladen Nordkapp feels like bobbing around on top of the water. Is the 'kapp you are being offered an HM or HS? If it is an HM you will be going from one extreme to the other moving from a Pintail.

A '95 Nordkapp will be stiffer tracking, with lower primary and more uncertain secondary than either an Explorer or Aquanaut. The classic 'kapp was designed and intended to be paddled heavily laden. Both the Explorer and Aquanaut are designed to handle well both laden and unladen.

I've been offered a '95 Nordkapp as a possible trade for my Pintail. I have never paddled one and really don't know much about them, except that it is an expedition boat meant to be paddled long distances with a lot of gear.

How does it paddle as compared to an Explorer or an Aquanaut? Does it paddle OK empty, or does it need to be loaded down with gear (I weigh 185)?

I'm looking for a kayak that I can do some longer distance paddles with, while still being able to play in the rocks and surf.

I do not think you are going to get much in the way of response here, because I cannot think of many other Nordkapps around -- except mine! So I shall answer your queries as best I am able. (Note: Whilst writing this I see someone else has responded -- I do not agree regarding "demanding to paddle empty").

First: I <love> the boat: mine is the Jubilee model (2000), with standard hull (as opposed to the "modified" one, which had/has an extended, built-in skeg aft, so that the hull looks squared-off). When I first tried one, a couple of years ago in a pool, I instantly took a dislike to it (perhaps because of the low primary stability -- as I perceived it to be at the time). By the way: check the year of manufacture from the final two digits in the boat's serial number, engraved on the stern.

So, give it a while and it becomes an enormously capable boat. You will find it very secure in rough water (not that I have had very much of that yet; but enough that I have total confidence in it) and it has excellent secondary stability. The front hatch on all Nordkapps until very recently has been the small Valley one (8"? -- same as the day-hatch) -- inconvenient, perhaps; but a drawback? Hardly...

The bulkheads are of the concave/convex type, allowing for more flex than the regular, flat ones. My Pintail always gets gelcoat cracks under the bulkheads. The Nordkapp is not a Pintail, however, and does not spin on the proverbial dime; but it is quite playful. It surfs rather well and paddling downwind is grand! I hardly use the skeg -- I prefer to counteract a beam wind by edging.

The boat paddles/handles absolutely fine empty -- I weigh about 150lb -- and of course it will excel as an expedition boat, for which it was designed, as you correctly point out.

Regarding manoeverability, I consider it very easy to turn and draw and love to play among the rocks with it. It responds well to deep edging and firm handling (that means <you>). It is also a fast boat and I find I prefer the Nordkapp, overall, to my Explorer (now gone to another home).

Lastly, I think it to have the loveliest lines of any kayak I can think of -- save for the aforementioned Pintail (and, perhaps, too, the Anas Acuta -- that remark to keep Paula and Bill quiet!)

Does that answer your question adequately? I hope so.

Chris,

Since switching from a Pintail to a Nordkapp would be going from one quirky, unique boat (adored by some, disliked by others) to another, it would be of the utmost importance for you to paddle that Nordkapp yourself (there are a number of Nordkapp designs), preferably for a day (sounds like a boat to neither be infatuated with nor give up on after a quick spin around the pond ) and through the in the conditions you plan to use it (tall order, granted), to see if it works for you.

Chris,

Since switching from a Pintail to a Nordkapp would be going from one quirky, unique boat (adored by some, disliked by others) to another, it would be of the utmost importance for you to paddle that Nordkapp yourself (there are a number of Nordkapp designs), preferably for a day (sounds like a boat to neither be infatuated with nor give up on after a quick spin around the pond ) and through the in the conditions you plan to use it (tall order, granted), to see if it works for you.

Excellent advice from Peter.

I think Peter Orton noted something like 8 different Nordkapps. It is a boat that has been tweaked repeatedly over its 30+ year span. The Jubilee hull is the current and most forgiving. Pre-Jubilee Nordkapps are responsible for much of the Nordkapp fame and infamy.

Nordkapps are the most striking looking of sea kayaks. Though the 'kapp LV is my fav for both handle and looks.

My first "real" sea kayak was a Nordkapp HM, an older boat with an ocean cockpit and three round hatches. I consider this boat to be the "anti-Pintail" in many ways. For example:

• It tracked like a freight train and the integral skeg was a real liability in some situations. It is definitely NOT a good rock or surf boat, due to its lack of maneuverability (that's true of the non-HM versions as well).
  • With the stock seat positioned ~1.5" off the hull, it was not very stable. Lowering the seat an inch fixed that, but it effectively made the aft deck higher and layback rolls more difficult. BTW, the high stock seat is designed to provide more leverage for edging/leaning a fully laden boat. While that works, it makes the boat harder to paddle unladen.
  • Speaking of the aft deck, it's much higher than a Pintail's. That made entries and exits more difficult and less stable than with the Pintail's low aft deck.
The one area where the boats are quite similar is in their ability to handle rough water. With the lowered seat in the Nordkapp, it felt as stable as a couch in the rough stuff. Of course, the Pintail is legendary for its rough water handling.

Personally, I would never trade a Pintail for a Nordkapp, as the former is a far more fun and versatile boat. Having both could be useful, however. If you can't afford or accommodate both boats, I'd advise sticking with the Pintail unless you have a specific need that only the Nordkapp can fill.

Is there something about your Pintail that you don't like or are you just looking for something faster?