Need Advice: Marblehead-Nahant

alcoons

Hi.

The Ferret and I were talking about a level-3 Private Trip for this Sunday, September 2. We know Marblehead Neck and Thinker and Deveraux but have never gone down to Swampscott or Nahant from there. Know Kings Beach/Red Rock Bistro. So something like:

1) Riverhead around Marblehead Neck to Thinker Island, then either follow shoreline or Ram Island or whatever the bigger Island is out there, to Swapscott Harbor, and to lunch on Kings Beach (Lobster Rolls etc at Red Rock Bistro Take-Out Window at the Beach), and return to Deveraux Beach

2) Or have a car shuttle and continue with take out at Nahant somewhere. We kind of like the idea of a one-way trip for once.

3) Or start at Deveraux and one of the above.

Quick and dirty, long, one-way route is at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1272169.

So my question is, who has experience past Deveraux towards Nahant? What is worth doing along the way...hug the shore, see the islands (can you stop on any), any problems or concerns? Where do you take out a Nahant? Can it be on either side? Water conditions when the winds are up?

Low Tide is 9:25 AM and High Tide is 3:36 PM so we should be able to lunch at Kings/Red Rock Bistro although the water does come up quickly there with the long flat beach.

Thanks for your help.

Hi.

The Ferret and I were talking about a level-3 Private Trip for this Sunday, September 2. We know Marblehead Neck and Thinker and Deveraux but have never gone down to Swampscott or Nahant from there. Know Kings Beach/Red Rock Bistro. So something like:

1) Riverhead around Marblehead Neck to Thinker Island, then either follow shoreline or Ram Island or whatever the bigger Island is out there, to Swapscott Harbor, and to lunch on Kings Beach (Lobster Rolls etc at Red Rock Bistro Take-Out Window at the Beach), and return to Deveraux Beach

2) Or have a car shuttle and continue with take out at Nahant somewhere. We kind of like the idea of a one-way trip for once.

3) Or start at Deveraux and one of the above.

Quick and dirty, long, one-way route is at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1272169.

So my question is, who has experience past Deveraux towards Nahant? What is worth doing along the way...hug the shore, see the islands (can you stop on any), any problems or concerns? Where do you take out a Nahant? Can it be on either side? Water conditions when the winds are up?

Low Tide is 9:25 AM and High Tide is 3:36 PM so we should be able to lunch at Kings/Red Rock Bistro although the water does come up quickly there with the long flat beach.

Thanks for your help.

Al,

To be honest, unless you like to surf, going past Swampscott the scenery can become somewhat monotonous and crowded with swimmers on the right day. The trip up to that point can be quite fun with plenty of rocks to play in with fun conditions especially around Tinkers. Overall, pretty exposed when the winds kick up. One note about Ram Island...it smells worse than Norman's Woe :blink: Wish I could comment on the food, but haven't eaten in that area.

Hopefully Bill or Brad will chime in as they've paddled here more than anyone I know and it's Brad's back yard.

Hi.

"The Ferret and I were talking about a level-3 Private Trip for this Sunday, September 2."

I can't speak to your question but I direct you to the following video:

While this may not help you regarding this Sunday it should give you something to ponder if Rudy Gulliani ever became President. Leslie, until the primaries are over, stay undercover! You never know who your friends are!

The paddle around M'Head over to Swampscott is a nice paddle hugging the coast with lots of little play spots along the way. The front side of M'Head neck can kick up pretty good, so pay attention to the conditions. You can have lunch at RR Bistro, or for a change, across the street is PoPo's Hot Dogs, they make em every way imaginable. For a good lobster roll, the spot to go is in Nahant across the street from Short Beach. I thinks it's call Nahant Fish Market. Can't miss it, there is a little strip of stores there, and they are in the middle. No frills, $10.00 lobster roll with plenty of meat and a bag of chips. The stretch from Swampscott to Nahant is just beach, great for surfing, and at high tide, with the waves bouncing off the sea wall near red rock can be a real hoot. If you do M'Head to Swampscott and back, you can always land at Devereaux to shorten the trip if your tired, then just bring your car across the street to get your boat. If you do the one way to Nahant, the only place you can park is on the causeway parking lot for $3.00. If you don't want to do the beach paddle, you can head out to Egg Rock from Swampscott, then over to Eastern Point in Nahant, then follow that coast to the Causeway. Have fun.

The paddle around M'Head over to Swampscott is a nice paddle hugging the coast with lots of little play spots along the way. The front side of M'Head neck can kick up pretty good, so pay attention to the conditions. You can have lunch at RR Bistro, or for a change, across the street is PoPo's Hot Dogs, they make em every way imaginable. For a good lobster roll, the spot to go is in Nahant across the street from Short Beach. I thinks it's call Nahant Fish Market. Can't miss it, there is a little strip of stores there, and they are in the middle. No frills, $10.00 lobster roll with plenty of meat and a bag of chips. The stretch from Swampscott to Nahant is just beach, great for surfing, and at high tide, with the waves bouncing off the sea wall near red rock can be a real hoot. If you do M'Head to Swampscott and back, you can always land at Devereaux to shorten the trip if your tired, then just bring your car across the street to get your boat. If you do the one way to Nahant, the only place you can park is on the causeway parking lot for $3.00. If you don't want to do the beach paddle, you can head out to Egg Rock from Swampscott, then over to Eastern Point in Nahant, then follow that coast to the Causeway. Have fun.