New to the Bar Harbor symposium/Recommendations?

hopefloats

Planning our vacation time around the symposium in Bar Harbor this september...wondering what to expect...or come prepared for.

Where are most of the events held? Are they in one main location? or spread out at different put-ins?

Anybody go to the BBQ and/or Lobsterbake before... is it similar to our solstice event? Or is it more likely by dinner time, folks will be exploring local entertainment, etc...?

Anyone have experience bringing a vehicle on the CAT? (any problems with kayaks on it?) anything we should know ahead of time? (I've heard birth certificates are still adequate for this year...)

Personally, I've only been camping at Arcadia once. We'll be there into the week after the symposium...any other recommended familiar haunts, must-sees or hang-outs?

Any tips and feedback welcomed! B)

I'm pretty seriously thinking of going to this, but haven't fully decided.

I spoke with Mark Schoon about this back in July, and I know that there will be a number of locations where events will be held. The most common area is the Porcupine Islands, just off of Bar Harbor, and is the easiest to access.

I also know that they'll be doing work in Sullivan Falls, which is a reversing tidal falls, about 20 miles away or so.

Whether they'll use other locations (e.g. out of Northeast Harbor), I don't know - but it may depend on conditions. E.g. 4* work needs moderate sea conditions, so if it's too quiet in the Procupines, they may have to go further out.

I don't know about the CAT, but a simple phone call would probably suffice.

Planning our vacation time around the symposium in Bar Harbor this september...wondering what to expect...or come prepared for.

Where are most of the events held? Are they in one main location? or spread out at different put-ins?

Anybody go to the BBQ and/or Lobsterbake before... is it similar to our solstice event? Or is it more likely by dinner time, folks will be exploring local entertainment, etc...?

Anyone have experience bringing a vehicle on the CAT? (any problems with kayaks on it?) anything we should know ahead of time? (I've heard birth certificates are still adequate for this year...)

Personally, I've only been camping at Arcadia once. We'll be there into the week after the symposium...any other recommended familiar haunts, must-sees or hang-outs?

We went to NS on the CAT last month without any problem. They load the kayak topped vehicles last, along with the RV's and roof top carriers. As long as you meet the maxiumum height requirement there is no additional charge. I think it's 8 '

We went to NS on the CAT last month without any problem. They load the kayak topped vehicles last, along with the RV's and roof top carriers. As long as you meet the maxiumum height requirement there is no additional charge. I think it's 8 '

Sorry, that should be 6'6"

Heidi,

The open water classes will generally be run out of Hadley Point, which is on Frenchman's Bay, a few miles from downtown Bar Harbor. (Last year, most classes left from the Sand Bar in downtown Bar harbor , near Aquaterra's office ). The classes range varying distances, and the venue could change to go where the right conditions are (e.g. last year, some 4 star classes relocated to the Cranberry Islands, on the south side of the island, as it was too calm in Frenchman's Bay)

Theres one class location at a reversing falls (Sullivan Falls), another scenic spot, and that's maybe a half hour drive away, a bit inland north of Bar Harbor). If I had to take a day off from paddling and wanted to be a spectator, I would definitely go there, armed with a camera, for a ringside seat on some tidal race mayhem.

Probably most classes will be in Frenchman's Bay, but some will probably end up elsewhere.

The flat water classes (2/3 star, strokes clinics, Greenland rolling & strokes etc.) will probably be on Long Pond, a lovely place several miles from downtown.

The Lobster Bake is an evening event, out on Hadley point. Last year it was a big hit. There will probably be people there who have just gotten 3 and 4 star awards, so the atmosphere will be jovial.

I'm no official spokesperson for the event, though, if you call Mel Rice of Carpe Diem Kayaking or Aquaterra Adventures, they're all good people and can answer any of your questions more definitively.

Hi Heide,

I was at last year's symposium and will be going again this year. Peter sums it up extremely well. We spent time in Frenchman's bay (4* Training day 1, rocks and ledges), left out of South West Harbor (4* Training day 2) to find some bumps, and spent a day on Sullivan' falls. Everything is pretty close and there's always ride shares going on.

Last year's event was great fun, I learned a bunch, and met a lot of good people....yes, some of those were even NSPN members! ;)

Personally, I think this is agreat symposium, see you up there in a few weeks.

Galen

Aside from the Symposium, as long as you are there I would suggest you take a few days to enjoy the area. The Porcupines and the Cranberries are just great paddles. There is a local guidebook that is useful.

Ed Lawson

Aside from the Symposium, as long as you are there I would suggest you take a few days to enjoy the area. The Porcupines and the Cranberries are just great paddles. There is a local guidebook that is useful.

Ed Lawson

Titled?

The one I have is The Sea Kayaker's Guide to Mount Desert Island -- http://tinyurl.com/35eavn

That is the one I was thinking of. ISBN 0-89272-380-7 REI in Reading and KTP have had it in the past and the shop where the symposium is headquartered should have it as well. the Dorcas Miller book has a decent section on MDI as well.

The MDI Paddlers are a good group to paddle with.

http://www.mdipaddlers.com

Ed Lawson

If you have time, in addition to the Cranberries and the Porquepines--go the the western side of MDI and put in at Pretty Marsh for a nice paddle around Bartletts----unlike most places in Massachusettes and some on MDI most of the beaches on Bartletts are open to the public-== the only ones that aren't are the ones in front of the housing compound on the eastern side and near the house approaching the southwesten side of the island. The paddle is around 10 miles and given moderate conditions can be done by relatively inexperienced paddlers in an easy half day----a good lunch stop is at the cove on the south end of the island---great beach and you can watch the eagles play. If you are feeling more energetic, you can put in at Seal Cove(not Seal Harbor of Martha Stewart fame) about 2 miles south of Pretty Marsh and do the same paddle, but slightly longer----there was an attempt a few years ago to limit parking at Pretty Marsh to locals only but this is no longer in effect although some of the local guide books haven't been updated of the change back to open parking. Finally if you are feeling really engergetic and want some open ocean paddling put in at Seal Cove and paddle around either Tinker or Pond( or both if you really want a work out. Have fun

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful wisdom and ideas! I can't wait for this trip... feel free to post more!!! :) Thanks again guys!

I second Peter's comment about Sullivan Falls. Even if you don't plan to paddle there, it's worth checking out. Even at slack tide, it still bubbles some.

My only experience with it: I was out on it on a training course, in the morning on the ebb, and then took lunch when it was going slack. We managed to get out as the tide was just starting to turn to flood, it was one of the more amazing experiences to see the water transform from nearly dead calm, then build to a fairly brisk set of rapids.

I tried to attach a photo of the falls on the ebb that I took. It's cool to see it go from slack to that, from the point of view of being in a kayak.

Is there an internet link for the symposium that someone could post to this board? Depending on timing and how my work schedule shakes out in the next couple weeks, I might be interested in attending. Haven't been to MDI since last October--I'm about due.

Roger Turgeon

Night Heron--cedar strip

http://www.carpediemkayaking.com/symposium.htm

Think you will find there is something for almost every interest and great people.

Ed Lawson

It was great last year. I'm sure it will even be better this year. Many cars and boats moving around so it is easy to catch a ride and/or have your boat transported.

Talk to Mel or Mark at Carpe Diem. Also when you check in you can find who is where etc... It seemed last year that many of us would stop in Aquaterra in the morning to catch up on changes and transport.

We took an extra day last year to have some unstructured time on MDI.

The Downeast Symposium is fun, challanging, and exhausting. We are greatly looking forward to seeing everyone and getting wet :P

BTW. Sullivans Falls is a fabulous place for tidal work. Did last year's class (Mayhem with Maynard) and doing this years Monday class.

Does anyone know of things that a low level entry kayaker may do? Most of these courses and locations seem to be for the non-novice?

Are some of these courses within range of a good zoom lense for photographs of NSPNers?

Maybe I cn help with taxi service if needed at certain times.

See ya there!

Does anyone know of things that a low level entry kayaker may do? Most of these courses and locations seem to be for the non-novice?

There are some half day courses , like "intro to sea kayaking", "safety and rescues" , and the 2 star (full day) would be a great class for the committted begginer.

check out the schedule, and you can call to inquire about the suitability of any courses.

http://www.carpediemkayaking.com/symposium-schedule.htm

If you are looking to paddle on your own , Long Pond, Eagle Lake, and Echo Lake would all be choice destinations for an entry level fresh water paddle.

Are some of these courses within range of a good zoom lense for photographs of NSPNers?

The classes at Sullivan Falls ("Mayhem with Maynard" , offered all four days due to its success last year) would be a PERFECT opportunity for action photographs, or video. a very nice grassy park area with picnic tables overlooks the Falls, with a fairly commanding view of the area where all the boats will be, which is pretty close to the parking area, so boats will always be in view . There will surely be upside down boats, rescues, rolls and other antics/ misadventures.

There are some half day courses , like "intro to sea kayaking", "safety and rescues" , and the 2 star (full day) would be a great class for the committted begginer.

check out the schedule, and you can call to inquire about the suitability of any courses.

http://www.carpediemkayaking.com/symposium-schedule.htm

If you are looking to paddle on your own , Long Pond, Eagle Lake, and Echo Lake would all be choice destinations for an entry level fresh water paddle.

The classes at Sullivan Falls ("Mayhem with Maynard" , offered all four days due to its success last year) would be a PERFECT opportunity for action photographs, or video. a very nice grassy park area with picnic tables overlooks the Falls, with a fairly commanding view of the area where all the boats will be, which is pretty close to the parking area, so boats will always be in view . There will surely be upside down boats, rescues, rolls and other antics/ misadventures.

Thanks! All sounds interesting, especially the photo ops.

post-100554-1187922211.gif

post-100554-1187922225.gif

Don't forget the rolling display by Sigethy in the pool. That will make for some nice video, albeit not of NSPN'ers.

Make sure to go other places than just the falls - after all, I am not attending that session!

See everyone up there.

Brian

Sullivan Falls *is* great fun. In just one day, I think I capsized about 8 times. Maybe 3 of these were deliberate, the rest were various mess-ups in punching in and out of eddies. Great experience trying rescues and rolls in current - I'm going back for more mayhem!

Sullivan Falls *is* great fun. In just one day, I think I capsized about 8 times. Maybe 3 of these were deliberate, the rest were various mess-ups in punching in and out of eddies. Great experience trying rescues and rolls in current - I'm going back for more mayhem!

I will be there too and am looking forward to it. I haven't been east of Boothbay all season and am feeling like I need a little Down East water!

Suz

It looks like NSPN members will be making up a large percentage of those attending. Last year was great, and I'm sure this year will be even better. See you all there.