Romany Surf anyone?

subaruguru

Hi.

Am wondering if anyone has tried the Romany Surf? Am interested in a playboat with larger cockpit for longer legs/feet.

Anyone translate the following?

http://www.padleforbundet.no/forum/index.p...ic=1168.msg5948

Thanks.

Ern

Hi.

Am wondering if anyone has tried the Romany Surf? Am interested in a playboat with larger cockpit for longer legs/feet.

Thanks.

Ern

Ernie:

Here's a rough and abbreviated translation from the Norwegian. Not much help....

"I haven’t paddled the boats referred, so what I say below is speculation based on what I’ve read. I’m going to buy a NKD Explorer someday.

I’d really like to get some opinions comparing the Romany with the Romany Surf. From the specs, it’s better for larger paddlers and surfs better, if paddles somewhat slower on the flat.

It’s a Romany but as a new boat, does it have the well known Romany qualities on the water? It’s an interesting boat since the Romany Surf comes in plastic for those of us who are rough on our boats.

[Lots of handling questions follow such as is it easy to learn in as the Romany, as easy to roll, etc.]

I’m looking for the security and handling that the Romany is know for, but can’t fit into the Romany.

I can’t comment since I haven’t paddled the Romany Surf. The nearest boat to what you describe is the Romany HV. Both the Romany and Explorer surf well, so I’d expect the Surf to be good also, perhaps better at surfing.

Why do you want plastic? NDK boats are very solid and made to land on stones.

My next planned purchase is a glass Explorer. I’m interested in the Surf out of curiosity and because I’d buy it for the lower price for a friend who is buying it as a first boat. For me, a plastic boat would make sense to try it out with the idea of selling it if I didn’t want it. It’s easier to sell a low cost boat.

_________

I called the kayak shop and Bert told me the following:

The Romany is a better all-round boat. It is 54 cm in the beam while the Suf is 56 cm.

In reflecting waves, the Romany will feel livelier than the Surf.

It is a bit faster than the Surf.

The Surf surfs better than the Romany but it will be experienced as a more specialized product. It was developed from the Romany designed for heavier and larger paddlers (the Romany HV/Posiden).

I have both the Explorer HV and the Romany HV. The Explorer is faster and accelerates fantastic. I bought the Explorer when I realized that the Romany was too heavy and slow. So I have a Romany HV for sale—or I’ll use it for surfing—but I think the Explorer is really great.

So my tip is to buy an Explorer so you have a kayak that is fast, surfs good and has enough room to pack your stuff for trips.

Hi.

Thanks.

Ern

Ern,

I've had the chance to paddle the Surf a little bit, and it's quite a fun boat. Peter Brady might have a bit more insight as he paddled it around Gerrish and Rick Stoehrer has even more experience with it if I remember correctly. As for the Romany HV, Tom Berg has called it a very underrated boat. Gillian has paddled it and is planning on buying one to complement her Explorer.

Hi.

Thanks.

Ern

ernie -

played and paddled one for about a month or so...i have size 10.5's and a 33" inseem and fit in the boat fine. i am a bit over the ideal for the volume of the boat (about 215 ish) but nevertheless found that it turned and rolled and played well enough to suit my needs. the ease from primary to secondary is, as usual in mr dennis' boats, delightful and unsurprising. essentially it's a fun little boat that i can't pack more than a sandwich and thermos (half full only) into, less i turn it into a fun little submarine. that i am literally too much paddler for that boat would be the kindest description.

if you are of less substantial mass, you might be better suited.

only one afternoon actually surfing it..rode nice. straight. the chine on the boat seemed to hold an edge better than my explorer and certainly more than an avocet....lot of fun really.

not terribly fast but none of them are, really. but mostly, that's the engine!