Chris Duff?

Guest guest

Chris Duff is coming to Connecticut in March to give a talk on his circumnavigation of Iceland this past summer with Shawna Franklin and Leon Somme. Information concerning date, time, and location has been posted to the ConnYak website.

For those who aren't familiar with Mr. Duff, he wrote "On Celtic Tides", and "Southern Exposure", about his solo circumnavigations of Ireland and New Zealand's South Island respectively.

I was fortunate to see Shawna and Leon present the Iceland trip this fall, with plenty of incredible slides.

Connecticut is a pretty long haul for a Tuesday evening, and it would be excellent if Chris could be persuaded to give this talk locally.

This seems like something the club could do for it's members - instead of bringing in renowned kayakers to give training at prices that undercut our local outfitters, bring in the same renowned kayakers to give talks on their travels. How about it?

A partial list of kayakers who give presentations, and who visit the area:

Chris Duff - Ireland, New Zealand, Iceland

Nigel Foster - Lofoten Islands, Norway

Derek Hutchinson - North Sea crossing

Ciro.

"Leaders don't swim" - Gordon Brown

Did talk on his trip this past summer at NESC. I, for one, really enjoyed his talk and slides. Wished I had been able to attend his paddling class, but it coincided with the Karen Knight/Bob Foote class.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smoky Ivory

I applaud the club for bringing renowned paddlers to us for instruction. They provide alternatives to those whose choice may be one of cost, schedule, location, etc. I also applaud the club for bringing such presentations to us but recognize that safety and instruction come first.

Because NSPN doesn't have a clubhouse, scheduling and hosting talks and classroom teaching scan be very difficult. In the past, some places have been scrounged together, and Mike has been generous enough to get some AV equipment there. If anybody has access to appropriate facilities, I imagine that the board and other committees within NSPN would like to hear about it.

Dee Hall

Impex Currituck, Blue over Smoky Ivory

New England Small Craft has a classroom area in their expanded shop -- could probably get 20+ people in there.

I'll also check with the Newburyport Maritime Museum -- don't know if they are open but them might be interested.

Keith

This might be something the Outdoors Club at Buckingham Browne and Nichols School would enjoy sponsoring. I teach there and use to run the club. BB&N is on the Charles River in Cambridge opposite the Mt Auburn Hospital (where you cross over from Storrow Drive to get to Fresh Pond Parkway). Would this be a good location? We have a nice room with appropriate AV that holds close to 100. We are on a college schedule so it would have to be during the first two weeks of March. We have free parking.

Al Coons

al_coons at bbns.org

Ciro, Al’s offer sounds great. Are the first two weeks in March within a reasonable time frame for Chris to come by and talk? I’d love to see this happen. Even a week night, if it has to be, would be worthwhile. What are the details, how do we proceed from here, and what do we need to do? I think you would have a good turnout.

We require only one skill...that you come back, and charge one duty...that all come back.

Rick

Rick,

A couple of us are attempting to get in contact with Mr. Duff. As more details become available, we'll post them.

Ciro.

"Leaders don't swim" - Gordon Brown

Looks like the Maritime Museum is "closed for the season". Trying to find out how long that is, but suspect it might be past when it would be a viable venue.

Keith