***** training Bar Harbor 11/11-11/13

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

Not much to say, actually. It turned out to be as expected. Intense, overwhelming, full of so much information that it was almost impossible to absorb it all. Steve is an incredible paddler and is so spot on with his knowledge that it borders on eerie. From rescues in rough seas to navigating at night and in the fog, to landing in no-landing zones, you are pushed to your limits and then some. In the end, and I'm sure that most would agree, it's an eye opening, exhilarating and most importantly, humbling experience. Would I do again for the first time knowing what I know now? Most definately. Will I do it again? Damn right I will! :)

first one's a laugh riot buncha fun, ain't it? thought you knew one end of the boat from the other....then mr. maynard proceeds to show you in a very quiet, calm way that in truth...lots to do. he is freakishly gifted in a boat and he see's EVERYTHING. you, the water, the weather...he always seems as if he's a good dozen steps beyond wherever you're sitting at the time.

the nav thing is humbling. so's the weather thing. your moving outside the boat in the things you're concentrating on and "worried" about...now the boat's just this platform and you're thinking about all these other things, not the least of which is the group. meeting and paddling with folks that are going into the training with different experiences and seeing how all those personalities work out together...or try to work out together....that's always interesting. it's a leadership award and folks approach that from different angles; the group dynamic thing is interesting.

launching and landing in no landing zones...fun, right?

not surprised you'll do it again...it's a freakin' blast!

As a result of your experiences, anything to say about changes in views on equipment/techniques and/or things you will change or replace. Curious about how you handled illuminating fixed compass for night work if you needed to. Did you do a bivy as part of training? What did you find useful v. surplus in terms of stuff and outfitting.

From my limited experience, I think Bar harbor is a wonderful place to go for training in no small part due to all the great paddling within an hour or so. Do some training and then take a couple of days putting it to use and getting it firmly fixed into the skill set.

Ed Lawson

The more information the better.

I think one of the genuine characteristics of a great coach is one who takes you where you've not been and may not have thought you could be, and leaves you wanting more - and to do it again. Steve is certainly one such coach.

This is the kind of report from 5* training that serves to encourage and inspire.

Thank you.

Well next time you decide to do it I'm putting the dogs for rent for the weekend on the general message board and coming with you so I don't spend the weekend wandering aimlessly around my kayak, mumbling and shaking my head, peeking in my day hatches to see if that's where you've gone . . .

:)

But in all seriousness I'll be there anyway as I'll probably be teaching the course.

>...so I don't spend the weekend wandering aimlessly

>around my kayak, mumbling and shaking my head, peeking in my

>day hatches to see if that's where you've gone . . .

Don't forget the general confusion about what you're supposed to DO with the boat. Usually people get in them and paddle but without you she seemed to be content to just push the boat along and swim beside it. As if that wasn't enough there was the strip tease for the little old couple in the parking lot. I'm not quite sure what that was all about but yeah... she gets even more loopy when you're not around!

Cheers, Joe

There was indeed a bivy although not on a rock ledge so that the smart people with tent like bivys could set them up in relative luxury. The dumb person (me) used the hypo bag derivative: light poly mummy bag, in a radient blanket, on top of a thermorest in a inexpensive tarp sandwich . It works. There is condesation. Happiness was that the rain held off for a night.

Small compass lit from underneath close enough to read seemed to work. Cylume sticks not red white or green on your head not boat.

Try to learn nav without fancy stuff like Nav Aids; make sure you can do it with a hiking compass as protractor.

Run T rescues getting vic to right boat then hang on to you aft of cockpit and pull boat up upright then turn over to empty. In seas with rocks to leeward, have a third boat towing before you need to.

Daisy chain your tow line and practice putting it away fast ( stuff into vest.) Drill: Tow for 20 strokes then switch for a couple of hundred yards. Need to be quick.

Bring along an extra chart and hiking compass and/or nav aid.

Dry suits that have lost the water repellant coating from the outside are pretty chilly beasts.

>Dry suits that have lost the water repellant coating from

>the outside are pretty chilly beasts.

Aside from bringing along something to break the wind... how does one restore the garments ability to bead water? I've heard that an iron will do the trick but... how hot?

Cheers, Joe