Monomoy 30 Sept

bob budd

Once again the best accommodations on the Cape provide the prelude to a wonderful trip. Greeted at 6:30AM by a damp morning, breakfast at the Marshland (eventually), and we were off to Morris Island. While a few cars endeavoured to split up our merry caravan we arrived in order and filed back from the turnaround at the end of the causeway to park along the roadside.

While we help each other with our boats Mary the Monster brought her boat to her private launch site. We were soon nine, our tenth never to show having left a 6AM e-mail to that effect. While I could have retrieved this e-mail with my swiss army knife of cell phones I made no effort to do so and found the message upon returning in the evening.

The launch briefing downplayed the potential for seal viewing due to recent developments that have driven much of the traffic to the outer shores where they emerge in greater numbers with the passing years. Someone at the “Binnacle”, the pub closed for the season (this is not a commercial posting), mentioned later that there had been a bounty on seals at one time prompted by the fishermen. The legislature will probably begin work on restoring this bill after they pass the kayak safety law.

Seeking the far side for a mid-morning jaunt over the dunes, we ventured near the mouth and crossed to South Beach, then followed the beach as water depth allowed to a cut in the dune vegetation. After Mary’s paddle-while-sitting-on-the-back-deck demonstration we were all found at the far beach watching a few grey seals play in the surf.

Back to the boats and around the clammers (a persistently noisy bunch) we went ending up on the inside of the far end of South Beach. A short walk to the ocean found quite a few greys. A few would venture in for a short swim and then back out to the surf. When the South Monomoy circumnavigation group came through a large seal followed one boat well into the channel. The large dark cloud following a boat so closely was fascinating and a bit ominous. Some of us went out in the channel to see if we would become the object of pinniped curiousity but aside from the occasional viewing of their surfing prowess we were disappointed.

In the few years I have come here it would appear that these islands seek a closer relationship and may soon become one. The sandy bottoms have little established vegetation, etc. some of which I remember seeing the first time I came. The big deep blue thing, its existence such a mystery, is no more.

A great report Bob. Thanks so much to you, Linda and Brian for providing such a wonderful experience. The weather you ordered was perfection itself and the company as well.

That big bull seal poking his head up and snorting at Dave and his crew obviously was not happy to see us. Anyone get a picture?

I second the thanks to Linda, Brian and Bob. For me after only two months of kayaking, everything is new, but this will certainly be a highlight for some time - great weather, nice company, and idyllic scenery.

I did get a picture of the lone seal looking somewhat surrounded in the narrow channel by those from David's paddle.

I will post my pictures tonight. I also tracked the paddle on GPS: 9.61 nm; I will post a picture of the track.

On Friday, Gay, Mary and I went for a three hour paddle in Barnstable Harbor. After meeting these two delightful - and experienced - paddlers, we headed out into 10 to 20 knot westerly winds for a poke into the western marshes. There we saw quite a variety of birds, went down a few dead-ends, and then rafted together for a wind-assisted ride part way back. After the rafting, and with a following wind and high chop, I was simply hoping to get to shore without capsizing more than a few times and then get in my car and go home with a quick message to Bob about "something came up, sorry I can't go to Monomoy..." But, no capsize, nice encouragement from Mary and Gay, and by the time we landed I felt ready for anything. And I learned more about boat control then any other time. Now I see why everyone suggests surf as a great place to learn. Thanks Mary and Gay, you saved a most wonderful trip for me.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

It was an excellent weekend all around. 2 beautiful paddles with great company on both. A nice bike ride with Mary along the canal. A tour of Mary's RV/camper (I need one of those!). Good food-Friday's tasty dinner thanks to Brian's Seafood Restaurant Finding GPS, a yummy breakfast thanks to our trip leaders and delicious ice cream thanks to Mary.

Thanks very much to Bob, Linda and Brian for leading the Monomoy trip. It was an awesome trip with perfect weather and absolutely beautiful scenery. There may have been more seals in the past, but it was the most I have ever seen.

Nice photos, Brian W. Cool GPS/satellite photo! Do you have a similar satellite photo of our route in Barnstable Harbor? Glad you didn't back out of the Monomoy trip. You did fine on Friday! I'm hardly in the "experienced paddler" category, but thanks for the compliment all the same.

Overall, a great time. Can't wait to go back!

Gay

I put the GPS track of the Barnstable paddle (total distance was 5.6 nm) on the photo site.

Gay, "experienced" is all relative. To me, virtually everyone is experienced. But with trips like these and all the tips you and the others have given me, I will not be able to say that in a few more months. Then only 90% will be experienced.

I'm getting the hang of this paddling thing...

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

>I did get a picture of the lone seal looking somewhat

>surrounded in the narrow channel by Mary and two from

>David's paddle.

That seal, a big bull, was amazingly close -- and bold. It stayed there for a good 20 seconds, looking around at everybody. I could see its nostrils dilating and contracted as it snorted loudly. I didn't reach for my camera right away because I figured it would be gone in a moment, as usual. But after a while, I finally did go for it -- and then he dove! Glad Brian got this shot.

--David.

It was good to run into you.

David mentioned there was an NSPN group doing North Monomy.

We didn't decide until Friday night where we were paddling Saturday. It was a perfect day for a paddle.

Some shots of our meeting and the seals here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2721685130048488250NJkYIG

I'm amazed Brian. I couldn't tell you were a newby. The photos were great, thanks for sharing. By the way, those Google Earth images are at least 5 years old. I know because I sold the van that appears in my driveway 5 years ago.

Nice pics, Brian. It was a glorious day! I find the GPS track interesting, superimposed on the satellite photo. Isn't the track at the end of South Beach from you walking around the point? What appears to be over water is now on a sand dune!

[ monomoy-18

>> Isn't the track at the end of South Beach from you walking around the point? What appears to be over water is now on a sand dune!

Exactly. It just shows how the sand has moved so much in so few years. The southern most track was where we stopped for lunch and is the site of the narrow channel. And, as far as I remember it, we were not treading water during lunch!

When you think about how much beach/dune there was where we stopped it is impressive to see what current and wind can do. I would think there must be some information on the progression of the beach on the Web. It would be nice to see photos from each year to see how rapidly the beaches are closing together. I did a quick search and found several articles regarding the storms of 2005 causing a major change and much worry that South Beach and South Monomoy will come together in the Winter of 2005. That obviously did not happen, yet. The large concern is that once the gap is closed the migratory birds on South Monomoy will no longer be safe from predators.

Later tonight I will look further; there must be someone somewhere that is studying this dynamic area: what's causing the changes, the progression over time, the impact on wildlife and recreation, etc.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

There is this on page 4 of 'THE SHIFTING SHORELINE ON MASSACHUSETTS':

Copies of shoreline change maps ($20 for a 34" x 46" four-color map by CZM Sheet) are available from MassGIS (Massachusetts Geographic Information System) by submitting an order at http://www.state/ma/us/mgis/mgorder.htm. A map of the CZM Sheet index may be viewed at http://www.state.ma.us/mgis/ix_shch.htm.

While the shoreline change is fascinating, it is not worth spending the money to see a map of it. Too bad there is no public domain info or some published study of the quite rapid change occuring off Cape Cod.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

In the early eighties I sailed a board over to a new cut that had opened through the dunes across from Chatham Light. There were remarks about how only a few weeks ago it was just an intermittent trickle and now it had grown to forty feet!

In those days the sand between (South) Nauset Beach and South Monomoy Island was no match for the ebb tides from Pleasant Bay & Chatham Harbor. ‘It was a new day yesterday but it’s an old day now.’ There just isn’t enough hydraulic momentum now to keep that channel open.

Last month I waited an hour or so for a river of salt water to subside about a half mile south of the Nauset Beach parking area. High tides with tropical swells were breaking over the beach crest and forming a pool that drained to Pochet Inlet at the northern end of Pleasant Bay. The dune tops there were knocked out about two years ago. Google imagery shows vegetation there because the area was flown for photography five or six years ago. The TerraServer has more recent photos clearly showing a washed over area between the outer beach and Pochet Inlet.

One week later I returned and saw a dozen places where the big waves had knocked out the dune tops. The most significant is eight miles south of the parking area where it washes through the summer cottages. That spot has potential for a widening break because of deep water on the bayside. Another spot that may break through & widen is a couple of miles from the tip of Monomoy Island.

Enjoy it while you can. Between Cape Wind, An Inconvenient Truth and the Nor’easters that area is bound to keep changing at a dramatic pace.