Brit boats can fly too!

B

Jokingly, I responded to Sanjay's "Places to play" post with JL's experience of his semi loaded Pintail being blown by a gust of wind down a Rhode Island beach a few years ago.

While attending a recent meeting of paddling types, one person had thrown their Brit boat onto his car and then proceeded to go and collect their gear without tying down their boat first. I quickly mentioned to this neophyte that he should throw a strap on the boat in case the wind came up. He response was "it's too heavy for the wind to bother". Within seconds of turning his back to retrieve his gear, a gust of wind came up from the boats stern and his boat was bouncing off of his hood and into the parking lot via an unlocked double set off Hully rollers.

This also happened to one of NSPN original members years ago. His boat was on a static bar rack on his truck.

Lesson:

No matter how heavy your boat is tie it down when on the car. Whether the wind is present or not.

B

you hear the one about the guy who drove away while the boat was unstrapped on the roof of the car?

like cessna's, there seems to be a take off speed for romany's as well - what was it about 35 or so?

romany's fly surprisingly well but i'm told, land almost exactly like you'd imagine.

The first dent in my Seaward shadow came from it's getting blown off of my car while I watched the locals fly kites for about ten seconds. It got blown off sideways over the edge of H2go saddles.

The confession part is that since I've gotten the Explorer, that is the only scratch that boat has ever had.

Don't get any big ideas, unless my wife wants that boat I'm selling her in the spring.

I recall an NSPNer telling me a story about how his boat and roof racks were blown right off the top of his car on his way to Nahant. Of course some of us are responsible people who would never ever forget to triple check all straps, bow lines and roof rack fittings before we start driving.

On a completely unrelated topic, if anyone finds a black nylon cockpit cover in the Bradford rt 125 area give me a yell. The owner is a friend of mine... yea that's it, it belongs to a friend.

>you hear the one about the guy who drove away while the boat

>was unstrapped on the roof of the car?

>

>like cessna's, there seems to be a take off speed for

>romany's as well - what was it about 35 or so?

>

>romany's fly surprisingly well but i'm told, land almost

>exactly like you'd imagine.

I just hope this paddler isn't giving advise to anyone about how to secure boats to vehicles.

Can you imagine ?? Suz, take note !!

Cheers,

Jed

jluby@teamnorthatlantic.com

"The ability to defend an opinion with absolute certainty . . .

. . . is inversely proportional to one's actual experience."

I always thought that the "paddler in question" was just providing a public service to the paddling community by ending the age old debate of whether romanys can fly or not.

I am also not sure that the debate is entirely over. After all, from what I hear, the Flight of the Romany (coming to the Discovery Channel this spring) was further than the Wright Brother's first flight. If they got credit for designing a flying machine, maybe Nigel Denis is deserving of some credit too...

John

Sorry for opening that can Jed. I forgot that the quote under your signature rings true for more than your boat being IN the water. :)

Love, B