Anyone for Downeast?

EEL

Ok, this is insane, but you might as well put those stars to use.

Are any planning on doing the Jewell trip also interested in a trip later in the year that would start at say Rockland and end up in Machias? Or perhaps Bar Harbor to Machias? I figure would need to average around 20 mile days and take the outside MITA route with the crossings that involves given time available. Maybe late August or early Sept.

Just think, you might end up being able to casually say things like "You know I didn't find Petit Manan Point all that big a deal." or "The steaks at Tall Barneys are really good." or " I wondered how we would find the island in the fog/night, let alone land in the swell." or "Surfing the six footers all the way across to Schoodic Point was a blast." Then again you might get diagnosed with PTSD. Either way, you will get in some paddling.

Ed Lawson

Gail has checked me in for rehab as obviously the meds are no longer working. I will try to pick this up upon my release.

I think around 4 to 5 days max. There is lots to do between now and then between planning and learning to keep my head in a gaseous as opposed to a liquid environment.

Ed Lawson

4 paddling days would probably work best for me personally...don't know about others...can bookend a friday/monday thing easilly enough....pack up and head out thursday after work (and why not leave early that day, too?) and maybe camp out of a car that evening at the put-in...next morning stage a vehicle (and trailer if needed) up the coast and head out....figure if you leave the initial put-in at 0600-ish, drive up, drive back....can be on the water by 1000-ish. still gives you a nice long day on the water....followed by several more.

i'll bring a chart or two to g-town pool session and we can mull and ponder and you can tell me all about your rehab. nice to have a trip or 2 to think over going into the season...gives you something to paddle towards.

This has been one of the trips I've been lusting after.

I'd be interested, if you haven't swamped your quota.

I was surprised how well behaved Petit Manan was.

1st day: Mt Desert to Dry Island

2nd day: Dry to Rogue or Stephens

3rd day: Rogue to Machias

(assuming you catch the tides)

>I'd be interested, if you haven't swamped your quota.

>

A good weatherman is always welcome.

>(assuming you catch the tides)

Just one of the details that needs to be worked out.

Of course I typically spin away on these crazy ideas in the winter and then spend in the summer my big adventure is trying to find my way around Gerrish.

Ed Lawson

I think Gail had better get those cool cloths for your fevered brow prepared pronto, Ed.

I'm up for it and, after I spend a few minutes softening up Bob, he'll be up for it too.

Got to find some excuse to remove The Pinkster from her rack in the cellar where she's been sulking since last fall (no trip to Tybee, no Sea Kayak Camp, no pool sessions -- that hussy of a RomanyLV has replaced her in my heart or so she claims...)and to use 6 weeks of sitting in a cold church basement learning navigation.

Yeeessss!!!

Deb M.

>I think Gail had better get those cool cloths for your

>fevered brow prepared pronto...

Unfortnately I have been informed that she has sole authority to sign me out, and she is threatening to withhold consent unless she goes too.

I protested, but am ignored. They assume its just a manifestation of my illness.

There is no small amount of planning and navigation stuff one can do on this. For starters think about tides and currents for timing when to round headlands, crossing bays to avoid commercial traffic...who want to see the Cat bearing down on you, bailout points, alternate routes to deal with delays caused by bad stuff. So to use all that navigation training, check out tides for mid-late August to early Sept and think how it all might play out with the route below. I haven't a clue.

I figure its imperative I delegate stuff to folks who know what they are doing or we will all be in big trouble.

I think Rick has the right idea about duration and 4 days makes sense. with luck maybe we could have contingency plans and go when the weather is settled as opposed to going and dealing with what happens on a fixed date.

As to route, I don't know, but put this out for consideration based on John's suggestion which seems fine to me. Start at the tip of MDI at Seal Harbor, over and round Schoodic Point or start in Schoodic area, camp at Dry Island, then round Petit Manan and camp at Stevens, then if weather good go down island chain, round Great Wass, then over to Mistake Light area, wander in Cow Yard, then maybe up to camp in Jonesport for some resupply and sit down eating or over to Halifax, and final day to Machias Bay or maybe Rougue Bluff park. I think Great Wass area is just too nice not to spend time wandering about a bit and Halifax is a must stop and soak up the views island. At some places you need to spend time just soaking them up as opposed to paddling past them. So check the books and let me know what you think.

I guess this could become an educational thread on trip planning if you all keep at it.

Sorry for length as I had to write everything I could think of since I may lose my computer privileges soon.

Ed Lawson

• 3 weeks later...

Something has been on my mind since the UNH Paddlesports Show and it finally has led me to cancel the "private" trip for the reasons that follow. They may be based on ignorance and foolish sentiment, but here they are.

The number of seakayakers which is to say the market for high end kayaks, instruction, guided trips, and multi-day courses is really quite small and most are rather middle aged and affluent. There are a few people who love the sport and are trying to fund a lifestyle focused on that love by operating a paddling related business directed toward these people. At UNH I was talking to one such person and he described with evident happiness and pride an offering he was able to put together for this summer. While he is in the personal service business and perhaps he was just selling, I think not.

It struck me that the Downeast trip might easily divert some from his or others offerings since it was not really a private trip among friends who might go off on an adventure together nor was it a club trip for club members. Instead it was a rather public offer via NSPN's website to see who might like to go on an extended trip in a desirable location to people who might not otherwise plan and go on their own adventure. Instead they were more likely to avail themselves of the services of people like the person I talked to at UNH. This caused me to speculate on the impact this and similar trips might have on those who are trying to make a living in their boats.

I have no problem with actual private trips where a collection of paddling "mates" go off on an adventure nor do I have a problem with club trips; even if they were the same trip as I proposed. Its just that the "private" trips as structured on the NSPN site are rather contorted if not distorted versions of each, and I concluded it was inappropriate and a disservice to others to propose trips there that really fall within the realm of larger adventures. I may well do the trip and I may ask others if they are interested if I try to carry it off. I will participate in and post "private" trips of a more limited and local nature since they have been great experiences for me as a new paddler and I have enjoyed them and the paddlers I met on them.

No offense meant to those who said they would like to go and my thoughts on this have nothing to do with you. I just think it is the right thing to do.

Ed Lawson

Actually Ed, your cancellation of a large (more than 2-3 paddlers) trip is probably a good idea----Rockland to Machias or even Bar Harbor to Machias is a considerable undertaking and although there have been people who have done it in relatively short times, I suspect they didn't have much fun and also had remarkably good luck with weather and tides. The more paddlers involved the more likely it is that some would have time constraints and absolutly would have to return from the trip on a given date--that leads the group to take chances with the weather etc and go out on a day they shouldn't--I realize that you are all experienced paddlers and can handle high seas and bad weather---but the larger the group the more diverse skill set its members will have and although some are very good, there may be days when the group as a whole could run into some very serious trouble being out on the water, not because they had to be but because someone had to be back by a certain date. Also there may be a paddler or two(or more) who isn't as strong, skilled or confident as some of the other members who would feel pushed to paddle on a day when they know they shouldn't be on the water. Much better to keep it small with all the particpants having the same level of ability and plenty of time to account for weather etc to finish the trip---I would give it at least 2 weeks from Rockland to Machias. If you decide to make the trip on a smaller level, I will be guiding in the Stonington area and perhaps we will cross paths. Good luck---Jon

>Actually Ed, your cancellation of a large (more than 2-3

>paddlers) trip is probably a good idea

Well, it was clear the trip would be scaled to 6/8 paddlers given the MITA suggestions and the carrying sizes of some of the sites available and to a four day, three night trip plan. Obviously bailout and alternative routes have been part of the planning and the potential for waiting out weather dialed into participants time away from work plans. There is so much to all of it. I mean is it good or bad if 6/8 people from away descend upon Tall Barneys or Halifax Island.

And it would have been necessary for everyone to have an understanding on paddling abilities and what will or will not be pushed.

So, yes there are those issues; but the main reasons are the reasons I gave. It was neither a private trip by mates nor a true club trip and that raised the issues I discussed.

I hope NSPN can find a way to have true club trips of a similar nature since there are obviously members interested in such trips. Those who have similar minded mates will go do the trips that interest them as always. Others can participate in trips provided by people who do so professionally.

Ed Lawson