Jewell Island camping, Casco Bay, May 11-13

gyork

Save the dates (or not); early post for planning days off from work, if needed. Tentative plan is to launch from Falmouth Town Landing 10am Friday, overnighting Fri and Sat on Jewell, assorted or unified day tripping on Sat, return to launch site Sunday afternoon. More details to follow.

Gary

> Tentative plan is to launch from

>Falmouth Town Landing 10am Friday,

Will plan on it, but may not be able to leave until later in day.

Thought is to go straight across to Jewell through Chandler Cove?

Maybe a couple of hours to get there?

Ed Lawson

>Thought is to go straight across to Jewell through Chandler Cove?

>Maybe a couple of hours to get there?

Yes to both questions Ed, depending on conditions (~6nm). We might send out a welcoming/?search party to meet you at Little Chebeague if you'd be a little late (sunset~8pm, I think).

Gary

>Saving the date, sounds like fun!

Given temps in early May, I think it critical more than adequate protection against a chill in the air be available. To that end if you bring the wine, I will bring molled cider and rum.

Ed Lawson

Sound like a good time... I am a L2 paddler, would I be able to handle it? How far would you guess it is?

>would I be able to handle it?

Heidi, this is a question that can only be answered by yourself, and one can never really be sure how to transition from Level 2 to Level 3 except by taking the plunge (poor choice of words!). I do see a good deal of trip interest from other members so far, though the phrase "safety in numbers" must be tempered by conditions, for which no one has control over. Perhaps you could tentatively plan to join us, but reserve final decision to weather forecast the day of/before departure. If the weather cooperates this will be a fun trip, and a great intro to kayak camping. I HOPE OTHERS OFFER THEIR $0.02 HERE.

>How far would you guess it is?

A bit less than 6nm from launch to island (see chart http://www.boatmaine.us/casco-chart.aspx)

For a general description of Jewell go to http://www.boatmaine.us/jewell-island.aspx

Gary

Sounds like fun, I may have to come down to start the season...

Dan

Once more upon the waters! yet once more!

And the waves bound beneath me as a steed

That knows his rider.

Lord Byron

> since the Maine

>water in May will very cold

The water in this part of the bay might be warmer than at the Casco Bay buoy, but the data from that buoy suggests the water temps will be between 45F and 50F in early May and the crossing from Falmouth to the first decent island upon which to land along the way is over 2NM and goes across lanes used by commercial vessels. So there is a modicum of seriousness to the trip. Still, it is not a big deal either as the waters are rather protected, etc. I would not be shocked if people paddle to Jewell all the time in rec boats designed for fishing on ponds and have a great time.

I hesitate to add this, but the devil made me do it. This might be a delightfully easy trip that any person with modest skills and reasonable physical condition with a decent kayak could do, or it might be just the opposite. To me one needs to evaluate all trips in terms of seriousness and difficulty. Seriousness depending upon the potential consequences once something goes wrong. Difficulty depending upon the how skillful a paddler needs to deal with the conditions. In my opinion, proposed trips on the ocean such as this one cannot be described in advance as having a certain level of "difficulty". Such trips can be described in terms of "seriousness" given relatively fixed and predictable objective features as in water temps and mileage and distance from landing spots, etc. Trips can also be described in terms of "difficulty" based upon whether or not they will happen if the conditions observed at launch time or the conditions in the marine forecast exceed some standard such as those listed in the NSPN trip level ratings. Even then the conditions encountered during the trip may change dramatically so that the paddling "difficulty" which might be encountered during the trip can never be known absolutely and might easily change when judged by some standard such as the NSPN trip levels.

To me the essential feature of private trips is that the poster describes a trip and may or may not establish go/no go criteria and further details, but it is the personal responsibility of anyone going on the trip to check the charts, check the weather forecasts, develop a float plan and pre-navigate the trip, evaluate the sea state at launch, evaluate their sills and equipment, evaluate whether or not to accept the risks, and then decide whether or not to launch their boat.

For these reasons private trips, I suspect, may not be a good choice for the risk adverse, or those who are not confident of their decision making skill regarding paddling, or those who want to challenge themselves in a more controlled setting.

I hope many take advantage of the private trips offered to expand their experience level and comfort zone, to accumulate memories of great adventures regardless of what "level" of paddler they may have been told they are or they may think they are. My comments are solely to point out that going on private trips should be done by paddlers who are active and involved in assessing the trip, conditions, and themselves. You are the captain of your vessel and only you are responsible for the safety of it and yourself.

Ed Lawson

I can paddle 6nm, but no dry suit (brrr), and Maine is a bit of a travel for waiting for the weather to unfold / affording a plan B (Which makes total sense-of course). I'll probably wait till I've got another season under my belt, and maybe a more local trip...

Thanks for the opportunity, though. Hope to see many more! :)

I'd like to suggest that Board Members incorporate Ed's excellent discussion (post #15) into the "trips/skills" section of NSPN's website. The discussion and related threads of "level" and "ability" comes up year after year, elongating with time. I think Ed has captured the essence of this topic as no one has before, and it should serve as a future reference.

Gary

I'm sorry if I asked a question about the trip in such a way to suggest that I was expecting others to take responsibility for my safety. I was attracted by the camping aspect and trying to get an idea of what the paddling might be like, perhaps poorly using the L2 terminology as a way to communicate.

Thank you everyone for the well meaning encouragement and advice. It is clearly not something I am comfortable challenging myself with yet.

Heidi,

I don't think anyone was implying, especially Ed, that you were expecting those in the group to be responsible for your safety. Instead he was simply stating that everyone should evaluate risk in terms of themselves, their abilities, and, above all, their comfort in both present and potential situations.

Stuff Happens out there and I'm sure no one, whether they paddle with NSPN or with their friends, is immune -- no matter whether they've got no stars or 5 BCU stars next to their name -- from not-so-good things occuring on a paddle. I'm sure you understand that if you swam or needed a tow those in the group would assist you -- surely no one is about to let you get too familiar with the briney or simply let you drift off towards Portugal.

The problem with Trip Levels, whether posted by a club or even by an outfitter, is that they are definitely not one size fits all. There are those who consistently over-estimate their skills and end up miserable while paddling, not only because they're in "over their heads" or because they think they've somehow impeded the group. It's very hard sometimes to gain experience when you're a relatively new paddler because you haven't quite gotten the skill and the confidence yet to paddle with more experienced people yet you might just need to paddle with them to gain those skills. There is a tendency for relatively new paddlers to focus entirely too much on being able to roll and not on the other more elemental (and less sexy) aspects of kayaking like a good strong forward stroke or bracing. Often they think that once they have that almightly roll they can paddle in anything and with anyone. Having a roll, just like having ACA Open Water or BCU 4* or taking one class in rock play or surf, does not necessarily equal JUDGEMENT -- whether about oneself or paddling (or leading) with a group.

Experience comes with paddling. The best advice I can give you is to paddle as much as possible and get your basic skills -- stroke, bracing, turning -- down pat. Once you do this, you'll be able to paddle longer and in different conditions because you'll have the practical knowledge and confidence to do so.

No one is an expert. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge out there necessary to paddle both safely and sanely and most of us, regardless of what level we think we are at, still have a ways to go. Which is what is sometimes, the most fun about kayaking: appreciating where you've gone and looking forward to where you might be going, both skill and journey-wise.

Deb M

Oh good, sometimes email is hard to interpret, I would hate for anyone to get that impression. Especially Ed... :)

This is why I think NSPN is so great. Everyone is very supportive and willing to help you practice new things (usually a riot! the ability to laugh at yourself comes in handy!) at the countless pool & lake sessions, and as a new paddler, when I have decided to challenge myself in a SNG, there have always been several friendly folks who've got my back.

From a new paddler point of view, I definately worry about this part of it when taking on a personal challenge. The pay-it-forward attitude you all tend to have has helped me relax and focus on enjoying the journey.

Asking about this trip on the message board was very helpful. I know enough about this trip that I can make a judgement call on my own ability. I think if there is a similar trip offered in the future that is closer to the North Shore in warmer weather (don't have a drysuit and need to accumulate camping gear necessary)I could go for it and still be able to head back home if the conditions happened to be "over my head" when the time came around.

Until then...See you in a pool session! ...anybody want to jump on the back of my kayak so I can practice bracing? ;)

> I think if there is a

>similar trip offered in the future ... in warmer weather ....I could go for it ..

Don't worry about it. With a little luck there will be more trips when it is warmer of a similar nature. As a heads up, I am thinking of two trips where the camping will be on the shore in a campground with day trips one on Southport Island and one farther up for a trip out to Muscle Ridge. Also a couple of day trips on upper Casco Bay.

Ed Lawson