Sat 9/16 Circumnavigate Gerrish Island **Update (9/14)**

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

Planning on rounding the island on Sat. Anyone interested, please post here or email me. Would like to firm up plans by Fri. a.m. so the earlier the response the better.

Update (9/14)

Ok, based on the information I've solicited regarding accessibility behind Gerrish, it looks like a circumnavigation might be out of the question based on the tides. On Sat., high at 7:10am and low at 1:12 pm. We would need to pass +- 1 hour around high tide to get through.

So instead proposing going up the coast past Gerrish to see what's around. Put in at 10:30a.m. in Kittery at the town wharf behind Frisbee's store:

(Copied from a SNG that Ed put up a while ago)

"To get to dock, from traffic circle in Portsmouth, take 1 across river and immediately take right onto 103 east and follow to Frisbee's Market on right. Turn right onto street next to market and ramp is around 50M on the left. Parking in Frisbee's lot across 103 is $10 and free lot within 1/4 mile."

Dress appropriately for the time of year, at least a wetsuit; extra clothing, themos, etc. expected. Typical SNG rules apply. L3 (potential L4 for possible conditions/distance).

Post questions/comments here.

Gerrish offers a little bit of everything. On the outside you are completely exposed to the ocean for a considerable stretch. There are rock gardens, with the right conditions its great fun, with the wrong conditions it can get scary. On the backside you wind through a marsh, at high tide I think you can almost go straight across it. This actually behind Cutts Island but the chart doesn't show a way between the islands. There's a historical fort in the harbour and abandoned structures at Wood Island at the harbour mouth. I believe there is potential for play on the reflections at Jaffrey Point, I have an image of Keith Attenboro et al there from years past. My favourite image is one of Rich Stoehrer, with Ciro's (sp?) bow in hand, appearing from behind a receding wave - pursuant to my first and only "combat" bow rescue. I also recall a culvert that depending on the tide was a bit of a challenge going in a particular direction not to mention the potential for a low ceiling.

There are several launch points including those inside Portsmouth Harbour. Chart #36, Cape Ann to Cape Elizabeth, has a pretty good view of the harbour on both sides.

yup--could be tempted for sure--its one of those lots of fun paddles--have launched from the Maine side from the State Park--they have a special launch site for kayakers--McCausley Park? That does sound right? also there is a great lobsta shack on the water place by the creek to get lobsta for those who eat lobsta--les

So instead proposing going up the coast past Gerrish to see what's around.

This interests me less than circling an Island. Also possible L4 and I do not qualify! Anyone in the group interested in something less ambitious-say circling some of the Islands in Portsmouth Harbor? Or is that asking for trouble on a Saturday-boat traffic and all?