Final Plan/Directions for NH Paddle for 1-2-2006

EEL

They say the seas will be down from storm Sat. and Sun. along with light winds. Sounds good as water was a little "textured" Sat. High temperature around 35 which in light wind will not be too bad. On the assumption that paddling more than two to three hours is unlikely I see no reason to start early when it will be cold. So a launch time of 11:30 seems logical. The channel to Ordione ramp is open so we will launch from there. This means paddling against the tide coming back, but it should not be an issue. Will go out Little Harbor and down coast. We can always change if things are more exciting than we like.

Directions:

Starting at the Portsmouth traffic circle take Route 1 SE for about two miles and then left on Elwyn Rd. There is a sign saying Route 1A and beaches, but not obvious. When you see a left turning lane with lights that is the place. Follow Elwyn Rd. about 1.5 miles to Foyes Corner which is an odd intersetion and you want to go straight through with a slight bend to the right onto route 1A. Again marked with signs for 1A and beaches. Follow 1A for about a mile and you will come to a bridge. There is a small area to park on the left side before you cross the bridge. This is launch site. On the other side of the bridge is the Ordione State Park boat ramp, but it is closed and not accessible now.

Look for the old geezers with purple and orange poly Avocets. As if there will be anyone else out and about, but you never know.

Ed Lawson

I have no suggestions for you. Never paddled in the area. Like yourselves, I just need to get on the water for a few hours. Hope the drysuit still fits after these holidays!

Will need directions to the put-ins up there.

Thanks,

If the winds are too high on Monday for an open ocean paddle, I would suggest a nice paddle in Great Bay in the Oyster River area. It is affected by tides and moderate currents, so launch time and direction of paddle are usually dictated by the ebb and flow. There are several possible put-ins, all close to Portsmouth area. If we decide to bail on an ocean trip at the last minute, we could decide which put-in to go to on the beach.

>If the winds are too high on Monday for an open ocean

>paddle, I would suggest a nice paddle in Great Bay in the

>Oyster River area.

Sounds like a good alternative. I would like to do this another time in any evernt. I suppose going up the Salmon river might be a good winter trip too.

Ed Lawson

>"warmest" being an extremely relative term January in New

>Hampshire

Last night it was snowing, 15 degrees, and two wood stoves going. Rational people would be skiing I guess.

Ed Lawson