M'head to Salem Willows 9/4

PattyP

Sunday Sept 4. Level 2/3. Put in Riverhead Beach 10:00. Paddle out to Salem Willows for lunch/swimming/ice cream. Then return to Riverhead.

No leaders, just friends paddling. Bring all the necessary gear.

See you there,

Patty

I can't speak for Patty's specific intentions.

Riverhead Beach is a frequent launching point. It is found at the beginning of the causeway that heads from Marblehead proper to Marblehead Neck. On the south side of the road you find paid parking (in season) adjoining Devereaux Beach (Devereaux is French for dumping). On the north side of the road you find parking that is generally free. There is often an outfitter renting boats at the boat ramp and there is plenty of beach to launch from. The harbour is on this side of the road as well and there are alot of boats moored there in season. The harbour itself is long and shallow as you approach Riverhead Beach and launching/landing is pretty uneventful.

The coast to the Northwest can be followed to the mouth of Salem Harbour. As you round the point you see can another land mass ahead of you across the harbour at the end of which you find Salem Willows. The Willows has an interesting history having once been an amusement park. More recently there are infrequent concerts and the remnants of the amusement park (e.g. ice cream) remain.

I really like this area in the off season due to the access to all kinds of paddling, e.g. coast, island, surf and launching five minutes from my house. To the south you find Swampscott/Lynn which is another place where you can stay close to shore to avoid conditions or paddle out to find them. To the north you find Cape Ann, which is provides alot of possibilities.

>This would be a possibility for those paddlers who are

>looking to get on the water without being exposed to

>significant seas, etc.

And with luck some cheerful soul in a Pintail will be along saying "Don't worry, we will not go where it is dangerous." and off they can go for a delightful adventure.

One of my colleagues brought in a copy of the Salem News today. The picture reminds me of why I like to be the one behind the camera: I'm not in the picture. Because the photo is on page 2 it probably didn't damage sales.

Dan