Best route to Monomoy seals?

eneumeier

I am thinking of taking a couple of friends, beginners, out to see the seals. If we launch from Harding Beach and stay in the southway - which I realized is now closed off - are we likely to encounter any seals at all? They used to hang out where the channel to the west.

Liz N.

I think your chances are better in Chatham Harbor near the south end of the new island. But currents and waves there can be fierce. There isn’t much left for them at the old Southway spot unless there's some way for them to get inside.

Try calling a seal watch charter or the harbormaster in Stage Harbor.

The southway closed off and opened up again. I'm not sure if it closed off. When we went last fall we paddled there and saw some seals on the other side. One followed of one member of David Lewis' party in from the outside, a bit eery that.

We went all the way around yesterday, including a portage over the now closed former gap at the end of the Southway. We saw isolated seals in the water, maybe 20-30 in all, at various places in the Southway, on the west side of South Island, between the North and South islands, and around the southern tip. But we did not see any on the beaches, and no large pods.

The Chatham Harbor master must get umpteen calls a day to ask about the seals. I even monitored some long-winded Q+A session on VHF channel 16- wishing the Coast Guard would cut in and tell them to stop. They're more dispersed along the east part of South Monomoy (peninsula? - we need a new name)