Play Boat Recommendations?

Gillian

So sadly my much coveted Avocet RM just doesn't fit me, but I really need a shorter boat for play. It can be plastic but I don't mind having fiberglass for a play boat: in the words of Mr. Crangle "it's just gelcoat" :)

So I'm starting to sit in some boats that fit me that might suit my needs. I'm looking for something in between an expedition boat and something like a Pintail. I'd like to be able to paddle whichever new boat I get on longer paddles, but also have it be more maneuverable in rocks and surf.

So, I've been recommended to try out the Capella 161, I sat in the Montauk which fit me like a dream, but I have no idea if she'll be the right boat I'm looking for, and I loved the Romany Surf and the Romany HV that I tried in NDK demo day.

So if anyone has a moment to give me their recommendations on a 16 footish boat, that's very maneuverable and also would serve as an everyday paddling boat I'm all ears!!!! Also if anyone has the boat they're recommending and would be willing to let me give it a try at perhaps one of the lake sessions that would be much appreciated.

Can't wait to hear back from you guys!!!! :)

I think you've answered your own question. "i loved the Romany surf"...

Bill

Anas Acuta...White/White, Red Trim.

Pintail...Blue/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Quill/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Yellow Poly

Mega Cyclone...lots of colors

If the Romany surf works for you, (how it fits and how you like it on the water) check out the Poseidon/Romany HV to confirm if there's a significany difference. They're quite similar in size, shape, design, and if you should find that the diffrences are insignificnt for you,MIKCO has some better than great deals on Romany HV's.

Spend a whole day in each boat if you can manage.

I can't comment specifically on the differences between the Romany HV and Romany Surf, I haven't spent enough time in either boat. I would follow Peter's recommendation and spend the day at MIKCo.

Bill

Anas Acuta...White/White, Red Trim.

Pintail...Blue/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Quill/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Yellow Poly

Mega Cyclone...lots of colors

>good point, she is a joy to paddle and a fun boat - reminded

>me of our puppy kind of, without the fur. :)

Just what you need. A kayak that pees on the carpet.

You should buy a Capella... just to horrify Kevin! :-)

Seriously though... steal Kevin's Pintail. OK really seriously now... I'm thinking the Pintail may be a little high volume for you. Is the fit on the glass Avocet any different? Have you tried a custom seat in the plastic Avocet? You know that thin grey pad that's in the saddle on the Capellas? Removing that thin pad is the difference between "this boat sucks" and "this boat is so comfortable". I was astounded at how much a stupid skinny piece of padding could make such a dramatic difference in the fit of a boat.

You're welcome to try our 161.

Cheers, Joe

Hi Gillian,

I can compare the Montauk with the Romany (regular volume) as I've owned both. As far "playability", I feel that the Romany wins. When it's cranked over the ends just skid around and you can spin in place. Obviously you've also got the legendary rough water pedigree. Now, as far as a day boat with which you can cover some ground, I think the Montauk is better - more miles with less effort. Both roll beautifully, and the Montauk may have an advantage in the weight department.

For what it's worth I sold the Montauk to get the Romany. If you want to paddle a regular Romany (sans skeg) for one more test drive, let me know