very new, very inexperienced

TeiMac

Hi, my name is Tei and I received my Perception Carolina 14.5 as an anniversary present last October but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've had one class so far this year but in a smaller kayak. I would love to go out again but am very leery about going out alone, fresh water for now as I live in Cental, MA. I thought about joining one of the groups that go out paddling but I know I need more experience and strength. I was wondering if there are any new paddlers around the Worcester area that I might paddle with. Since the kids are out of school my paddling times are either Saturday or Sunday mornings depending on my work schedule. I also plan on going to Lake Cochituate in Framingham and practice while my husband and kids are on the shore fishing. But again I don't really feel comfortable going out on the water alone yet.

Does anybody have any advise?

Hi Tei,

Congratulations on your new boat! And, your good judgment: a kayaker's most important skill. You know enough not to go out alone!

I suggest that you post here when you know you are going to be at L. Cochituate. NSPN has quite a few members in that area who practice there regularly. Possibly someone can hook up with you.

Liz N.

Actually if the weather holds out my husband and I will try to be at Lake Cochituate this weekend, the agreement is I get to paddle for a while close to them, we both have Rino 120s in case of emergency, as he and the 3 kids fish and then when I get tired I'll join him take the kids so he can fish alone for a while on the shore.

Guest guest

Tei-

I paddle Lake Quinsig (North of Rte 9) quite frequently. I usually am out in the mornings on the weekends as to avoid motor boat traffic. Feel free to contact me, I might be able to help you out.

Sean

kimballss at hotmail

Sean can show you the the basics and beyond. Hopefully, he would be employing English rather than "goo-goo, gaa-gaa..." :)

Hey, Sean, better learn to love those motorboats! It's going to be the closest you'll come to catching a wave for awhile yet. :D

sings_evil_twin

PS. Maybe, losing my original login ain't that bad.

Guest guest

>Sean I live roughly 4 miles from Quinsig, that must be you I

>see on occasion on the lake as I head to work at HD in

>Shrewsbury. Do you paddle near 290?

If its a Red Necky Elaho (aka the Red Nun - thank you Sir Godfrey) that you see out on the lake by 290, yes it's me.

As I cannot leave too far from home nowadays, I will be out Sat morning (unfortunately not going to the mtg) b/w Rte 9 & 290.

Sean

Thats the one, nearly caused a few accidents, pulling over to watch from the bridge. Hey watching a kayaker out on a quiet lake sure beats 5 hours of explaining to customers what wire not to use unless they want a house fire