Re-Enter & Roll

Gcosloy

Had to go to a reunion in NH this day so I'm unhappy about missing NDK demo day. Latest issue of Atlantic Coastal Kayaker has a good article on Revisiting the re-entry & roll. I've never been able to re-enter & roll because the buoyancy of my PFD prevents me from somersaulting under the capsized boat. If you've had this problem read Jay Babina's article. It inspired me to go to Walden yesterday and try it and it worked first time first try. I highly recommend his method.

I would add one refinement to his method however: If your intent is to roll up on your right side, place your right foot into the cockpit first followed by the left crossed over the right. If you roll left just reverse this procedure. One more note: you may need to learn the extended paddle roll since the cockpit is so heavy with water that the roll must be done slowly which is naturally the speed of the extended roll. Have fun and learn to hold your breath a bit longer. If I can do it so can you. For those who don't have a reliable roll Jay advises using the paddle float on the end of your paddle and rolling up that way. It makes sense and is inherently more reliable then doing a paddle float re-entry in a roiling sea.

Hmm...what's the secret? I always kind of tip my kayak sideways until it's at a comfortable angle, start to get my legs in and then let it rotate down as I slide the rest of my body in. It seems to work pretty well. My biggest complain is pumping the cockpit out. I pulled a muscle in my forearm last time from being too vigorous in pumping - still recovering.

Well, you're smarter John. I always thought that getting your body into the cockpit either sideways or upside down were mutually exclusive. I know it sounds obvious but when you divide the operation into two separate tasks it's easy and it works. If I'm only stating what is obvious I'm still thrilled to have discovered the secret (if only to me).