An Introduction and a question...

ChrisM

Hello NSPN!

Do any of you guys (or gals!) have an opinion on the Perception Avatar 15.5 / 16? I’m looking for a nice touring kayak that is agile, but still decent for some of your longer paddling adventures. I’m about 6’ (and I guess I’d like to think of myself as a fairly strong paddler....I guess we’ll see about that!)

(well maybe I should introduce myself...) I’ve been an occasional lurker on your message boards for a few months now, (sorry to see that they have temporarily disappeared) and I hope to join you guys @ clinics and on trips as soon as I get my new boat.

Thanks I hope to see you all on the water soon!

Chris

My recommendation is that you go to New England Small Craft in Rowley and have them fit you with an appropriate boat and take you out on the ocean to try it out. They have a great selection of new and used boats at good prices.

-Dee

The Avatar replaced the Corona. It's hull is more v-like, basically a copy or competitor to the Elaho.

When I had the Corona, it was definitely a fun boat to paddle. Wicked fun. Unfortunately, when I went out on my first level 3 paddle, my 15' Corona was a top in the swell and I did everything I could to just keep up with the group.

I would agree with Dee, to go put butt in seat and try out different boats before you take a plunge. If you are looking to do any kind of significant touring, in my opinion, I would be hesitant to make my PRIMARY boat (again) anything less than around 17ft.

My $.02

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

Welcome Chris!

Take the time to demo boats. Locally you can hit up NESC in Rowley, their website is: [www.nesmallcraft.com] or Charles River Canoe and Kayak, [http://www.ski-paddle.com/cano/canoe.htm] or head up to Maine Island Kayak on Peaks Island outside of Portland [www.maineislandkayak.com]. All three places will take you out for demo's.

From what I hear, all three have great deals on some great boats both new and used (not 100% sure on CRCK). DO NOT BUY before you try! You may find that you can pick up a used fiberglass boat just as cheap as a new plastic one.

Really think about the type of paddling that you want to do and buy the right boat for that. Don't agonize too much, get something that will allow you to grow as a paddler. Buy something that will have resale value if you find it isn't the right boat for you.

Another few words of advice - don't skimp on the paddle or pfd - they are almost more important than the boat! Buy the lightest paddle you can and don't let anyone talk you into a 230! Lots of used 230's for sale. Spend a lot of time trying on pfd's, you really need to be comfortable in the one you buy. Tighten it up properly and then wear it around the store the whole time you are there looking and chatting about boats. Twist, turn and move alot to make sure that there is no chaffing.

Lastly, you may want to show up at the Solstice picnic after the paddle on Sunday and introduce yourself to the group. I won't be there but the picnic is always a lot of fun and a good place to talk about paddling to paddlers.

Good luck in your search!

Suzanne

Hi Chris,

Welcome! Charles River Canoe and Kayak rents kayaks by the day and half day. So, you can demo a bunch of boats then rent the one you like best for a longer paddle to see if it suits you. I started paddling with plastic Carolina. It suited me well for one season then I wanted/needed something longer and faster to keep up on longer trips.

My suggestion is to buy a used plastic boat and get out on the water.

See you on the water,

Patty

>Another few words of advice - don't skimp on the paddle or

>pfd - they are almost more important than the boat! Buy the

>lightest paddle you can and don't let anyone talk you into a

>230! Lots of used 230's for sale. Spend a lot of time

>trying on pfd's, you really need to be comfortable in the

>one you buy. Tighten it up properly and then wear it around

>the store the whole time you are there looking and chatting

>about boats. Twist, turn and move alot to make sure that

>there is no chaffing.

Do all that plus sit in a few boats in it. PFDs feel a lot different sitting than they do standing.

>Lastly, you may want to show up at the Solstice picnic after

>the paddle on Sunday and introduce yourself to the group. I

>won't be there but the picnic is always a lot of fun and a

>good place to talk about paddling to paddlers.

And to try a few boats.

Liz N.

Provided that the economy doesn't truly tank, used fiberglass boats really hold their value. You can buy a kayak at the beginning of the season and sell it at the end if you decide that you want something different. It's kind of like a free, all season demo.

Guest guest

Chris, depending on where you are and how far you are willing to travel, Billington Sea Kayak is an awesome place to go. They are located in Plymouth on a lake (called Billington Sea), so you can try out anything you want before you decide to buy. Their prices are very reasonable. You may have to call for times when they are open (I think they are only open on weekends), to see if they have what you are interested in, and to get directions. http://www.billingtonseakayak.com/