leecocking question

jonsprag1

These incidents make a serious point: even if it happens only once every few years, uncontrollable leecocking can be dangerous in an offshore wind.

Also a good argument for having some bivvy stuff in ones paddling kit.

A couple of years ago at a Ken Fink lecture he talked about "destination-itis", how too many paddlers in a stiff wind get fixated on returning right to their car, when returning to a spot several miles down the way and walking back to the car can be safer and wiser . (A five mile walk oughtn';t be the worst thing in the world). or just staying put could be wiser. Having a cheap bivvy sack and the cheapest sleeping bag one can find: you could insert a water flled dromedary right up in the nose of the boat, and secure it with the sleeping bag so it doesn't move around, which could cure leecocking. Having the bivvy stuff (adds maybe a minute to loading and unloading the boat) also could have the psychological effect of knowing that there's the option to stay put in a troublesome wind. Without bivvy stuff, one might feel the necessity to press on against ones better judgment.

Just so everybody knows--it wasn't an offshore wind and I could have returned to Tinker or paddled downwind to Pretty Marsh landing on MDI with little or no trouble---In fact thats what happened eventually we veered our course to land on Moose and then were able to paddle back to the put in quite easily---My problem is that I wanted to go directly back (again quite easily) but it wasn't in the cards that day---thanks for all the advice everybody---maybe I can use all of this to convince my wife I need a new boat.

Peter - that was funny!

Jon - good luck convincing the wife! We will all glady help you on that score - we can all e-mail her that you need a second boat. Doesn't everyone?

Suz

(she who has a "few" in the backyard!)