I guess NDK boats are popular

EEL

That's too funny. The Explorer would seem to be the unofficial club boat.

Just a curiosity question... is boat popularity a regional thing and if so is it due to conditions in a given area or is it just what's "in" with a given club? The reason I ask is because I ALWAYS see QCC getting mentioned over and over again on paddling.net yet for such a seemingly popular boat, I've never paddled one or even seen one for that matter.

Cheers, Joe

>Just a curiosity question... is boat popularity a regional

>thing and if so is it due to conditions in a given area or

>is it just what's "in" with a given club?

Combination of reasons I suspect and those are no doubt two.

The variety of boats that might show up at an official NSPN paddle could be surprising and more varied than expected.

>I've never paddled one or even seen one for that matter.

Well, they are essentially mail order only and not well suited perhaps to the type of paddling in favor around here. However, Ray Wirth in Belfast, Maine sells them and has them to demo. I know he used a 700X to circumnavigate (solo) Great Wass one fine December day which suggests he trusts them to bring you back.

I think it is also true they are a little bit of a cult boat with a loyal following which is why they get mentioned so much of P.net.

Ed Lawson

However, the last three times I've been out, there were many more P&H Capellas than Explorers. Go figure.

Guess I picked my two (so far) well.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

Hey Joe!

QCC's have extremely long waterlines, thus no rocker, and are therefore fast, efficient trackers. I've seen a couple...they're made well, but I suspect they don't maneuver well nor are built for "conditions" here in the Northeast. QCC often has a decent sale on them. I suppose a QCC700 would be a fast passage-maker, but my Force5 does that so well I'm no longer tempted. See you oin the water soon, I trust. Ern