Replacement backband for Avocet...

I have never found a backband I really liked. They always seemed to get in the way during re-entry. Personally, I prefer a piece of minicell foam. You can rough cut it and just wedge it in place (allows for easy removal), and then shape with a shurform. You can carry the small shurform with you on the first few paddles and make adjustments as you go.

Bill

Anas Acuta...White/White, Red Trim.

Avocet...Quill/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Yellow Poly

Mega Cyclone...lots of colors

I do....purchased it yesterday from Scott Kimball and he was very nice and a great price too. I guess I am going to be needing a drysuit...or at least a wet suit. ( what is the most comfortable wetsuit to wear, I have an older one I used to use for scuba diving, but it doesn't seem it would be too comfortable to paddle in.

Thanks Bill, sounds like a good idea, where do I get a piece of minicell foam, I have the shurfoam shaver.

Thanks, Brad.

Now that I'm paddling a boat with a backband again, I echo distaste with these flawed yet ubiquitous items.

The only "backband" I liked was a sit-on-top setup we got at NESC we re-engineered to attach to the bulkhead at the back of the cockpit. Behind it was a lock-n-lock box, another wonder of modern science and ideal for kayaking, such that it didn't move yet provided comfort, etc. From there a custom minicell foam seat was built, a gel-pad was added, sciatica was cured, and the "barkalounger" of kayak seats was born.

I've seen alot of those foam blocks and their happy owners.

(Beat the clock) - Our sources of minicell foam are NESC and Brian Nystrom, who seems to have more than he should.

>I do....purchased it yesterday from Scott Kimball and he was

>very nice and a great price too. I guess I am going to be

>needing a drysuit...or at least a wet suit. ( what is the

>most comfortable wetsuit to wear, I have an older one I used

>to use for scuba diving, but it doesn't seem it would be too

>comfortable to paddle in.

> Thanks Bill, sounds like a good idea, where do I get

>a piece of minicell foam, I have the shurfoam shaver.

>Thanks, Brad.

Brad,

You can get the foam at new england small craft. As for the wetsuit, opinions may vary, but you can't go wrong with the NRS Titanium drysuit. If you grab one from REI, you can always return it if you don't like it.

This time limit on editing REALLY sucks!

Here's what I was planning to add to the post above:

-----

I've tried a few backbands and this is what I've found:

1- The ratchet systems on most of them - which are designed for whitewater use - are worthless in a sea kayak. You don't need the adjustability, the buckles often rust and the semi-rigid ratchet straps don't allow the backband to move the way you want it to in a sea kayak. Nylon straps work much better, but there's a caveat (see #2).

2- A backband that mounts only to the sides is going to create problems during entries and rescues, as it will twist and you'll end up sitting on it. The solution is to install a padeye or two along the upper edge and connect it to the coaming with 1/8" bungee cord. That will tip the top edge backward and allow the backband to move downward when entering the cockpit, creating a slide of sorts. It also prevents the backband from twisting.

3- Oddly, the most comfortable backbands I've found are the ones with the least padding, just a plastic stiffener (VERY important), thin padding and a Nylon cover. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any like that in a while.

Congrats on your new boat----when you buy a wetsuit just be sure to get the farmer john style and not the type you use for diving----Many good brands out there--usually cost around 100 dollars but sometimes you can get them cheaper if you shop the sales---NRS makes a good one----if you want to spend 3---7 times the price of a wetsuit you can buy a Dry suit---kokitat is regarded as the top of the line but there are plenty of other brands---I've been paddling sea kayaks for 7 years(and canoes and WW Kayaks years before that) and have just purchased an NRS dry suit this year----world of difference in protection and ease of putting on and off (dry suit much easier than my wetsuit) I got a geat deal---336 dollars for a suit that is price in the NRS catalogue for 600--got a guides discount. good luck

I have found the Snap Dragon white water back band to be the best. It attaches to the side & bulkhead (coaming on an RM boat). Very comfortable & properly installed will not be a problem on re-entry). It is important to remember that you realy shouldn't be putting much pressure on you back band during normal paddling.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the input by the way, I cant quite picture what you mean, am anxious to do it but unsure how. Until I can get out and be with you guys and see these foam creations in person , is there a way you can email a picture of it, I know its alot to ask, and if not possible I can understand. ( i guess I am looking for some back support, mostly when stopped and relaxing, we are allowed to do that right?)

Brad.

I have emailed you.

Bill

Anas Acuta...White/White, Red Trim.

Avocet...Quill/White, Black Trim.

Avocet...Yellow Poly

Mega Cyclone...lots of colors