Cape Porpoise

jonathan

I am looking for “local knowledge” for paddling in the Cape Porpoise area. Has anyone paddled and or camped in this area. I will be camping with a group in May on one of the islands and was hoping for some good “insights” on the local conditions.

Thanks

Jonathan

You might try calling MITA in Portland as several of the islands became MITA islands last year. Also, another source of info would be the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust which owns many islands. From people who have been there, I have the impression minding the tide table and looking at chart with an eye for currents is useful, but never been there. The area is covered in the Kayaking Maine Coast book by Miller as well as the MITA handbook.

Ed Lawson

Ed

Thanks for the info, I will be working with both the KCT and MITA on the class I am teaching. I was hopeing to get an unofficial feel for the area. I have read all the published accounts, now I need personal impressions of the area.

In the next few weeks I will probably paddle the area, I will post a show and go.

Jonathan

One thing to note, as I'm sure your readings have indicated, is that the water really disappears at low tide. I mean, NO water through much of the area. Really limits where one can paddle in the low half of the tide. It's a nice quiet area, though and the paddling there was quite enjoyable.

• 4 months later...

Turbat Creek is a handy launch for Cape Porpoise, at the end of Turbat Creek road.

Top half of the tide only if you wanna get behind Vaughn Island.

Otherwise you have to go around the outside witch has a number of boomers.

This is a great place to take beginners, very protected waters and a really nice area.

There is another hand carry launch on Cape Porpoise by the Seafood resturant, a bit of a tough ledge to carry over though,

I don't use that launch.

Don't Miss Goat Island, if the keeper is around, ask for a tour of the light, Always fun!

Oh ya i forgot to mention, the Campsites on Vaughn look just dandy.