Best markers for deck and laminated charts?

EEL

What is the best marker to use for jotting down notes on foredeck and laminated charts or chart cases? Something that does not rub off and waterproof, but can be removed with a simple cleaning agent such as alcohol.

TIA

Ed Lawson

I like the Staedtler permanent, fine point. They are totally waterproof, and won't come off until you use some alcohol. Staedtler also makes alcohol pens for small touch ups. They don't work well to wipe an entire map case surface. I use an empty Visine bottle to hold a small amount of alcohol and a small rag for wiping. I find these much easier to write with and clean up, as opposed to grease pencil, which works well also.

Gee, only $15 & up for a pen. Hey, I'll *give* a Listo marking pencil to the first one who raises their hand (I bought a dozen for $10).

I've never used a space pen. But if they solve the problem of ink in a normal ball pen not starting right away, I might be convinced to give up soft-point markers after, oh, 30 years! Well, not at $15/each.

--David.

Thanks for the suggestions. After some experiments, it seems plain old Sharpies work quite well and as good as alternatives. Marks do not come off readily once dry unless alcohol is used.

Ed Lawson