choosing a paddle

glil

Any suggestions on choosing a paddle? How do you choose the proper length?

High-angle vs low-angle? Are there any guidelines?

My current paddle has a high-angle blade and aluminum shaft which seems just fine since I haven't tried the light weight fiberglass or carbon paddles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Gay

There are a few white papers on Greenland paddles. My paddle ended up a bit short of blade when it became clear the yolk was too short.

There are rules of thumb that are used for the funny paddles other people use.

In the end, you may find that the "ideal" length is too short or long due to pecularities in your stroke. Like a boat, there is the possibility that you won't know until you try it on.

The club's most experienced paddle shopper may be Karen Gladstone.

Gay,

Most pool sessions have a pretty wide array of paddles (greenland, high end carbon, some plastic etc) so going to a pool session and trying out the paddles of various participants would be a start. Doing this on the real water would be even better. I'd be happy to participate in some kind of lets everybody-share -each- others-paddles - and boats kind of outing.

Most paddlers progress from longer to shorter paddles, and end up with paddles in the 210-220cm range, with some (generally advanced) paddlers using 205cm. I went from 220 to 215 to 211 to 208. Fortunately I was able to go through the last three progressions (215-208) with the same paddle, by chopping it down on a table saw and drilling new ferrule holes. A few paddles have an adjustable length and/or adjustable feather feature, which could be very handy and save some $ in the long run.

Werner paddles are very popular; theres a Werner paddle for everyone, and they run from very good/pretty expensive to very very very good/very expensive. A Werner carbon paddle is very easy to sell if it doesn't work for you. CRCK sells them and often have good sales. The paddlesports event at KTP (early April) sells everything (including Werner) at a 10% discount, with no sales tax (its in Durham NH) which can add up when you get into that 300-400$ range.

"Alone,alone, all, all alone.

Alone on a wide wide sea..."

-Coleridge

Gay:

Perhaps these newbie thoughts may help you in your search for the paddle that is right for you.

1. The paddle is at least as important as the boat. Get a good one.

2. Just like boats, it doesn't matter what others use or what the "in", "right", or "recognized" paddle happens to be. What feels good in your hands and works for you is important. This is complicated by the fact that in choosing a paddle, it is good to get a more demanding one to grow into just like it is better to get a more demanding boat than you are immediately comfortable with.

3. It takes some time using a paddle before you can make a judgement about whether the paddle works for you just as you have to spend time in a boat to make a judgement.

4. The point made in number three is complicated by the fact that after you use something for awhile, you adapt to it and think it is fine even if it really isn't. This is further complicated by the fact "high performance" boats and paddles do require some getting used to before you can use them to their fullest extent and feel comfy with them.

5. Just like in boats, lighter paddles are nicer than heavier paddles to deal with, especially on long days.

6. Just like with boats, expect your views on what a good paddle is to change as your skills and the type of paddling you prefer changes.

7. Just like boats, you may well find you need a couple of different paddles for different types of paddling you enjoy.

8. Greenland paddles are definitely deserving of a serious trial.

9. Shafts that have a means of quickly knowing blade orientation are nice for us newbies.

10. Blades that readily find a neutral position when slipped through the water as in sculling draw or brace are comfy to use, but if a blade will at least readily hold a chosen position and not flip orientation unexpectedly it will work fine.

11. When you have a problem using a paddle from a respected maker, again just like boats, odds are overwhelming that it is your fault and not the paddle's in the sense that you are not applying the right technique for the traits of the paddle.

12. Assuming you have a reasonably narrow boat, go for a shortest paddle that works for you.

13. Ignore the low angle/high angle designations.

14. Unless you have adequate power and endurance and love to play in rough water, consider modest blade sizes

Personally I now use a GP quite a bit since I am old and weak and have creaky joints, but mostly due to my contrary nature. For a euro paddle I ended up with Lendals since you can mix and match blades and shafts so easily. Werners are very nice and the ones I have used were more comfy than the Lendals which took time to learn to use.

Ed Lawson

I got a middle of the line Werner 3.5 years ago for my 50th birthday--fiberglass shaft, asymetrical blades, designed more for high angle strokes but I use it in touring mode most of the time(as opposed to racing or exercise mode)---works fine for me and a lot lighter than my older aluminum shaft paddle(if you are not paddling more than an hour or so each day, doesn't make a big difference, when you are paddling 4-8 hours a day you really notice it at the end of the day) Love the Werner paddle---they make a number of them--mine cost around 175 bucks---I've seen them over 400 dollars--bent orthepedic graphite shaft--as light as a feather---there reaches a point, however, where it becomes cheaper to buy an outboard motor.

I have one of the fancy Werner paddles....

http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/kalliste.html

I notice that when paddling with a straight shaft, after a few hours my wrists started to bother me. Having had numerous repetitive stress injuries in the past I am very sensitive to this kind of thing so the bent shaft combined with the uber light weight made it a pretty easy decision (for me spending the $$$ on the paddle will be less expensive than spending the $$$ on the chiropractor and/or orthopedic surgeon). Another nice thing about the Werners is that they're extremely buoyant and you kind of get a little bit of bounce at the end of the stroke. Everyone seems to comment about how it just seems to pop out of the water when they first try it. If you have issues with RSIs you might want to consider a bent shaft, otherwise stick with a straight shaft as they're generally cheaper. One of the down sides to the bent shafts is that your hand position is fixed and as a result my hand placement is slightly closer together than the placement I'd have on a straight shaft but it wasn't too difficult to get use to and the difference isn't extremely. If I was taller or had longer arms it might be a problem.

One nice paddle I tried was a straight wood shaft with carbon blades. Relatively light and very forgiving. I didn't paddle with it for a long time but it's probably a sweet paddle on longer days. I haven't seen them in any of the local shops but I believe they're actually made in NH. Anyone know the brand?

Re: Greenland paddles... who carries them around here? I haven't seen any of those in shops either. Does everyone just make their own (not something I'm terribly interested in doing)?

Cheers, Joe

Many people make there own. There is a tool called a spoke shave that makes relatively short work of the task. It does take a bit of practice, but you could purchase a pine 2x4 for practice and a cedar 2x4 for the final product. Both of my paddles, "standard" and "storm", were made for me so I don't have personal experience. Brian Nystrom has a book, based on other "manuals" of his I've seen I'd suspect even an idiot could follow his directions.

Just a quick note. If you get wrist RSI from paddling (a) check your forward stroke form, especially keeping your wrist, elbow and shoulder well aligned when pushing (think of throwing a boxer's solid right/left hook); (B) consider building up your wrists and forearms with forward and reverse wrist curls (starting with a very low weight and high reps). That's not only fixed my wrist problems, but also incipient elbow tendonitis.

Then, you'll be able to use a straight shaft -- the paddle that God intended -- with impunity. ;-)) Seriously, you can get RSI with a bent shaft too.

--David.

>Re: Greenland paddles... who carries them around here? I

>haven't seen any of those in shops either. Does everyone

>just make their own (not something I'm terribly interested

>in doing)?

Don Beale will make a lovely Greenland stick for a reasonable price and mail them to you in a tube. He takes a lot of care to fit it to you.

http://www.bealepaddles.com/

There are others as well.

--David.

Good point David. It's been a while since I've paddled with a straight shaft and since then my forward stroke is much improved and I have a pretty light grip now too (dry hand is always open). The paddle I'm borrowing is a straight shaft so I'll find out I guess if my new technique takes care of the previous problems I was having.

Cheers, Joe

Hey Joe,

That lovely paddle you are describing is a "Black Magic" by Mitchell. A beautiful and warm paddle. I LOVE mine. An added perk is that they will refinish it each year if asked. Great folks to work with! Their shop is here in my neighborhood.

maryb, NH